[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the population some games so low but the game so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: secret-ponchos.jpg (64 KB, 520x607) Image search: [Google]
secret-ponchos.jpg
64 KB, 520x607
Anyone else notice how good some games are but they have a really low player base?

For exmaple, Secret ponchos is a amazing fucking game. The style, the gameplay, the music. All fucking GREAT.. However, its player base is really tiny and it takes forever to find a match.

Same with unreal tournament(the new one). Great game but hardly anyone plays it even though its free and shaping up nicely. Why is that?

What is it about good games that makes people not want to play?!
>>
>>331345341
I'd be all over unreal but I don't have the cash to upgrade my machine and my toaster throws a bitch fit whenever something uses the unreal engine
>>
>>331345341
It has to do with a lot of things.

The one thing it has nothing to do with is how "good" a game is. If you could ask a more specific question, maybe I can answer it for you.

t. Economics and Marketing major with specialization in the entertainment industry
>>
>>331345582

I don't understand. I guess what I am trying to figure out is why some games like secret ponchos and the new unreal tournament and a arena shooter called "Reflex" have such low player base but games like warframe(grind fest) and other such games have such huge lively populations?
>>
>>331346145
Because one genre requires skill and the other rewards you just for playing.
>>
Secret Ponchos is garbage, it's dead because it isn't fun.
>>
>>331346356
LoL requires skill and it's the biggest game in existence.
>>
It's a moba you have to pay for. Not moba-esque game ever makes it if its not free
>>
>>331346356
And adding to that, people are lazy assholes who want to feel like special snowflakes so a game that requires skill makes them feel less special.
>>
>>331346456
LoL absolutely does not require skill. It's incredibly casual, but with the guise of requiring skill.
>>
>>331346456
LoL is also grossly addictive and rewarding for the unskilled portion (vast majority) of its playerbase.
>>
>>331346702
Let me clarify, high level LoL requires a lot of skill but as
>>331346710 said, it also rewards unskilled, lazy players.
>>
Because there's a shitton of variety in games available, people want to play the games their friends are playing, there is always some hot new shit, and people generally have the one or two "main" games that they play a lot more than anything else.
>>
Because as time goes on, people refuse to learn and try new games and just want to go back to the game they know and have put thousands of hours into already.

Like 9 times out of 10, people who play wow see a new game, they will play it for a little while but they will always end up back to playing wow like a zombie because they can't be separated from it for very long at all.

Same with assfaggots.

People who eat, sleep, and breathe one or two video games give up on anything else new and go back to the old shit.

People don't want change. They want comfort.

And as the world gets more and more shitty and harder to deal with, they want comfort more, to get away from shit.

Playing a new game and learning a new game involves more effort than the majority is willing to put in.

The only exception is if the person cannot function without playing something with their friends and have no choice at all whatsoever when friends play something else or new.

New games have it really hard nowadays, seriously.
>>
>>331346145
It has to do mostly with marketing and I mean that in a fuller sense than just "advertisement" which is what most people on /v/ think of when they hear marketing.

It involves a hell of a lot of things, but in an entertainment context you need several things, one of the most important ones being theme and image.
This is the reason why the old Superhero franchises were brought back, they are a recognizable base to work off of in order to create brand loyalty.

If you're asking about a context of games with mechanical depth and high skill floors/ceilings, then >>331346356 does have a good point to make. Though it's not necessarily relating to "requiring" skill as much as it is to allowing for easy entry.
For example >>331346456 is technically true. I might hate League of Legends and MOBAs in general, but I can't deny that, just like nearly everything else, there are elements of finesse at extremely high level play, however, League of Legends has an extremely low barrier to entry due to several factors
>simple control scheme
>matchmaking system which generally means you won't be put into unwinnable situations, baring flukes
>strong community features
That last point is also a very relevant subject in this topic. A large and well connected community tends to stay together for longer. This can be fostered in many ways and the first is usually good community features such as profiles, forum and chat integration etc. The other one is YouTube in the case of gaming. If you have large, popular content creators making content for your game, it's likely that young people and children will be more drawn to it. This is a huge part of the Minecraft phenomenon.
>>
>Moba
>not free

Dropped
>>
File: 1458245551541.jpg (2 MB, 6064x6072) Image search: [Google]
1458245551541.jpg
2 MB, 6064x6072
>>331346456
>biggest game in existence
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.