[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FPS GAMES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: Goal.jpg (146 KB, 1605x987) Image search: [Google]
Goal.jpg
146 KB, 1605x987
I'm looking into FPS games to play some as it is a genre I mostly ignore and don't really keep in touch with.
So I looked up 'top 10 FPS games' on youtube and I don't know if it's just me, but it all looks the same. All the CODs and Battlefields.

I have already played some major FPS games - the first STALKER, the newest Wolfenstein, Metros, Deus Exes, Bioshocks, HalfLifes, Memeland 1 (finished first map and died of boredom), Portals, Doom 3 when I was younger...

What game should I play? They all look so boring and same, like all of them are just run and shoot shits. In the FPS games I played, HLs and Bioshocks, the gameplay was often enriched by additional gameplay elements - in Bioshock you had plasmids, daddies, sisters, in Half Life 2 you had all the crazy different segments, such as driving, gravity gun, some easy puzzles etc.
But it seems like in most of the 'top' FPS games you just run and shoot and then you get to a cutscene and it's all taking itself way too seriously.
Metro was similar but it had great atmosphere, Wolfenstein wasn't that serious and you could fuck everyone's shit up in crazy ways...

It seems like the recent FPS games are all "OMG MUH WAR MUH ARMY MUCH SOLDIER PRESS F TO PAY RESPECT FOR THE STRIPES AND STARS!!!" with too many absolutely boring wanna be 'super cool' segments like a plane falling maybe 5m in front of you but somehow not hurting you at all because script fuck you (also, it being scripted takes any tension away and makes it non-thrilling).
>>
>>331219752
Oh, also played Crysis 1,2, Fat Cry 1,3, Killzone 1, Doom 2, Duke NUkem the newest one (didn't like much), then some horror FPS games (Cry of Fear, Nightmare House 2 (shit game yo)),
>>
File: 1457111314157.png (526 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1457111314157.png
526 KB, 800x587
>>331220080
cum on v
>>
>>331220526
come on /v/ show me your taste
>>
>>331220808
help me play some videogames
>>
Good Singleplayer FPS's:
Doom 1, 2, 64, user made content
Quake 1, 2, user made Content
Hexen 1, 2
Heretic
Chex Quest series
Star Wars - Dark Forces 1, 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Strife
Blood
STALKER series, user made content
Crysis 1, warhead expansion
Turok 1, 2
Soldiers of fortune
Marathon series
PowerSlave
Project: Snowblind
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Wolfenstein: The New Order/The Old Blood
Prey
Half-life series, user made content
SWAT series
Requim: Avenging Angel
Hard Reset
Cybermage: Darklight Awakening
Clive Barker's Undying
Aliens versus Predator (1999), 2, 2: primal hunt
ARMA series
Unreal, Unreal 2 The Awakening, user made content
Serious Sam first encounter, second encounter, 3: BFE
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six series
E.Y.E - Divine Cybermancy
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
Boiling Point: Road to Hell
Will Rock
Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force
Kiss Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child
Painkiller
Duke Nukem
Shadow Warrior
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

Games with okay gameplay, but might still be enjoyed for other reasons:
Halo series
Call of Duty series
Vietcong
Call of Juarez series
Bioshock 1, 2
Metro series
Far Cry Series
Time Splitters
Precursors
Wheel of Time
Red Faction
Carnivores
Golden Eye 007
Perfect Dark
Killzone 2
Resistance 1, 2, 3
The Darkness 1, 2
Descent 1, 2, 3
SUPERHOT
Metroid prime trilogy
Postal 2
Medal of Honor
FEAR 1, 2, expansians
>>
File: DSC_0076.jpg (516 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0076.jpg
516 KB, 2560x1440
>>331221218
wow shit Anon thank you
here have my bread cat
is it a cat? Is it a loaf of bread with tail? You be the judge
>>
>>331221218
Also, if you're interested in multiplayer games, you should check out Quake Live, as it's the only Arena Shooter that isn't dead.
>>
File: DSC_0078.jpg (811 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0078.jpg
811 KB, 2560x1440
>>331221363
>multiplayer games
not really, I hate people
>>
>>331219752
You should try CS GO because it has free language learning pack (Russian).
>>
Not exactly a shooter but Dishonored is one of my favorite single player first person experiences. It's in the first person perspective and its plays like a stealth game. It also has a bunch of neat little spells and assassination techniques you can try out. Imagine bioshock, metal gear solid, and assassins creed all had a baby and made dishonored.
>>
>>331221496
I already know cyka blyat and I have not played a single online game in the past 7 years.
also it costs money
if I wanted to play online I'd just go for 1.6
and I hate people
>>331221608
>Dishonored
yes, finished it as well
finishing Dark Messiah atm
>>
>>331219752
>like all of them are just run and shoot shits
Mfw I want that in a modern game and can't have. Good grahpics, gameplay and AI but still just run and gun. What game /v/ ?
>>
File: 1434741411240.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1434741411240.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>331219752
Watching any "top 10 XYZ" video on YT is bound to be either shitsites like GameFags advertizing big AAA games, or Xbox-kids re-posting one of the three shooter games they even know of.

Anyway, the Anon at >>331221218 pretty much nuked all the answers out there. Out of those, I'd very much recommend the original DOOM games, Duke 3D, BLOOD, the whole STALKER trilogy, and FEAR 1 + expansions.

If you want some decent first-person horror experience, that's not exactly a shooter but still has action, give the Condemned: Criminal Origins a shot. Webm related.
>>
>>331223104
>Condemned: Criminal Origins
already finished it
fucking devs not porting 2 to pc
>>
>>331221363

It is dead, since the devs made it cost tenbux instead of f2p and require steam and wipe all accounts and friends lists and clans so you have to start over.

Nexuiz is back, not dead.
Reflex isn't dead.
UT4 prealpha isn't dead.
Toxikk is dead, RIP.

On topic, serious sam 3 (I know it was recommended already but trust me it's worth it) and hard reset. Maybe even the new rise of the triad. Shadow warrior 2 comes out soon (I like the original build engine game more but whatever)
>>
File: 2013-09-10_00003.jpg (614 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-10_00003.jpg
614 KB, 1920x1200
Underhell: Chapter 1
A total-conversion mod for HL2, and easily my surprise GOTY of 2013.

It's what you get when you mix FEAR, Penumbra, and some MGS. Damn satisfying weapons, neat gore system, occasional sneaking / option for it, fairly lengthy campaing(s), fully voiced, and it has working BROKEN mirrors !
>>
>>331223850
I played Nightmare House 2 which people recommened and found out to be really bad.
So I avoided Underhell as well, considering it to be similar.
Is it not?
>>
File: 2013-09-19_00053.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-09-19_00053.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1200
>>331224208
No, it's not.
Where as NH2 is just a reskinned HL2 with tons of jumpscares... well, UH is not like that and has tons of actually different set pieces.

One moment you're fooling around in a seemingly empty house, trying to figure out what the fuck's happening around you, while the other you're taking down heavily armed terrorists / mercs with heavy weaponry, or totally unarmed and sneaking away from a murderous psychopath with big sharp weapon. Zombies are involved as well.

Like said, this thing was my GOTY 3 years back. I'm hyped as fuck for chapter 2.
Also if you got any enjoyment out of Cry Of Fear, try out the same guy's earlier HL1 horror mod, the Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut
>>
>>331224208
>I played Nightmare House 2 which people recommened
you've met some people with shit taste. Or age of 13.
>>
>>331223735
>I don't like what the developers did so it's dead
Doesn't work like that. Whenever I look at the server browser on Reflex, there are no servers with players and <100 ping, although maybe people are using IRC or something to find matches, but the avg players on steam stats website is absurdly low. Haven't played UT4 in quite a while, so maybe that isn't dead.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.