[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: well v.png (30 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
well v.png
30 KB, 640x400

>>
>>331201465
How much dlc you gonna pump out?
>>
>>331201465
Depends if it's a multiplayer or single player game
>>
Five people. Since more people will recommend it.

Unless it's shit.
>>
For the company? Five, because if it's good then word of mouth will act as free advertising, getting them more sales.
>>
>>331201465
Reminder that you need to be at least 18 to post on 4chan because this is a basic math problem.
>>
Bringing the game to wider audience by making it affordable, the five people who have bought the game and were satisfied with it would spread the word and in return result in more sales.

That market however is reversed in mobile games where the focus is to force people with gambling addiction to spend everything they have on virtual micro transactions, those people are often solitary personalities.
>>
five people. easily. increased community builds commitment to your game. low price point allows easy entry and from there on your community will do all of your advertising for you. you'd make up for your lost 10 dollars.
>>
>>331201740
This and it's building up your player base which is always good. And there's also DLC if game has it.
>>
Is the game single player or multiplayer?
How long is the game's expected lifespan?
Is there DLC?
Will there be sequels, and how prone are the people in each scenario to buying a sequel?
Do the devs care about the community or just money?

Is it fun?
>>
File: honk.png (220 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
honk.png
220 KB, 1000x1000
>4chan
>six people download a 10$ game for free via torrents
>>
>buying video games
>>
Five people buying it at $60 when it's new.
>>
>>331201465
Hello EA
Clearly 110$ is preferable
>>
>>331201465
5 people 20

for obvious reason of publicity making those 5 people into at least 20

but then there is another problem of people trying to justify spending this much on a video game and pretending how fun it is when the game itself sucks tricking people into buying it
still as recent practice shows with dai,primal word of mouth wins most of the time
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 555x443) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 555x443
>>331201465
Pirating
>>
5 so that when I raise the price for the sequel by 10 dollars then I make more overall.
>>
For the companies should be the first scenario. The product has been exposed to 5 people who if they like it, they will vector it to their peers, and 20 dollars isn't as much as $110. If you consider expansions, DLC and updates you get much more profit than a single big sell.

League of Legends is FREE and it's a multi billion dollar franchise now. NISSAN the car manufacturer sells cheap cans with wheels and dominates South America.
>>
If digital, 5 $20 games

If physical, 1 $110 game

Fixed costs of a physical game stay the same at any price (plus 30%), while digital costs are always 30%

Publishers make about $33 on a $60 physical game

Publishers make about $42 on a $60 digital game

For a physical $110 game, a publisher would receive approximately $71

For a digital $110 game, a publisher would receive approximately $77

For 5 physical $20 games, a publisher would receive approximately $25

For 5 digital $20 games, a publisher would receive approximately $70
>>
File: 1434728589679.jpg (531 KB, 1001x1200) Image search: [Google]
1434728589679.jpg
531 KB, 1001x1200
>>331201465

The top one always. Having more people playing a game creates a franchise and recognition. So even if a person hasn't played the game, they will at least know about it through tertiary means. Humans are social animals and will always, always ,always want what others have or what's hot.

This also sets up the potential sequel to be an all time seller since the install base of fans will promote it further and defend the quality of the series. The Witcher 3, best game of this decade, is the premier example of this effect.
>>
>>331201465
5-people buy a 110 dollar one is more desirable
>>
Five people buy it.
Those five people have a greater potential to create buzz which will get more people to play it.
Would rather have a large group who paid a modest price playing it rather then a very small group who played a premium price.

BUT if the latter group who paid a premium price were more willing to pay for more content at a higher cost I would cater to them.
>>
>>331202241
>"""""free""""
Yea but if want this good skill and all the characters you gotta pay you "free" Cuck
>Inb4 y-you can unlock the character with freeeee point tho.
I not wasting 396years to unlock character for a shit game
>>
A fast nickel is worth more than a slow dime.
>>
>>331201465
Depends, how much did each one cost to make?
>>
>>331201465
Five, because it means you reached a bigger audience. That's more word of mouth for your game, and more potential buyers for future games.
>>
>>331201465
What was the budget for each game?
Do they come with DLC?
What platform are the games on?
Was it made by a populat studio or a literally who?
Is it AAA or indie?

It depends anon, it depends.
>>
One person buys a $110 game. In the problem space presented that puts us $10 more than the $100 we would have otherwise gotten.

Nowhere at any point does it say anyone else will also buy the game.
>>
>>331201465
110, for all we know this postulates a world with no more than 7 people in it.
>>
>>331201465
Which situation is feasible?
You might have more chance with 5 people buying a 20 dollar game than having one person buy a 110 dollar game.

There's a lot of different factors that come into play here.
>>
>super niche game
$110, word of mouth will spread either way through the small community, and the higher price point will keep out casual players who don't understand your product and would only dilute it's reception. E.g. wartime tactical Sims, those weird train simulators, truck simulators, etc, football manager. Football manager has 0 graphics and is literally a spreadsheet full of famous names and nothing else. If they charged 5 bucks, their steam review page would be flooded with how fucking insanely boring and not even a real game it was. It's priced to keep it's playerbase enthusiast-only, which gives it much stronger word of mouth and entrenches it in its desired niche. Now it's built up a solid following and can afford to attract attention however it wants.
>>
>>331201854
hahaaha
>>
>>331201465
The five people option because
>doesnt encourage companies to charge 110 fucking dollars for one game
>company and game gets more exposure, more word of mouth going out
>>
One person for 110, because that's only one aftermarket game that's produced if he decides to trade it in/sell it.
>>
5 x 20 = 100
110 > 100
gee anon
>>
>>331201465
If you fork out $110 for a game then you are going to like it. Doesn't matter if the game is shit you will trick yourself into making that a worthwhile purchase. You are then going to buy the next in the series at $150 because you like the first one. Then the one after that for $190.

And so on and so on...
>>
This is pretty interesting. Lets just say these five people buy your game, they like it, you get 100 bucks all together. It's 10 bucks less than the 110 dollar game.

On the other hand, it's more effective when five people talk about your game so that many others buy your game. On the long run, you get more money out of it if that happens.

Also, if it's a singleplayer game with less content than the expensive game, you could release optional DLCs. If they like the game, they buy the DLC, if they didn't like the game they buy nothing. Point is, it's their choice if they want more content, they 20 bucks game would actually function as some kind of demo version with a real ending.

I really would want to try that out and see what makes more money and gets a better feedback.
>>
>>331201465
If you can find a niche then you can make a lot of money catering to it. Look at the Truck/Train simulator games with thousands of small DLC packages.
>>
>>331206383
I paid 70 euros for MGSV and I fucking hate that game.
>>
well it probably cost thousands to make so either way the developer is fucked.
>>
>>331205769
>7
why 7?
>>
>>331206383
Or you know, you really really get your hopes high and go on a blind belief, only to suffer a crushing disappointment and a buyer's remorse as a result.
>>
>>331206502
But did you buy MGS for 400 pesetas? MGS2 for 45 euros? etc
>>
>>331201465
The 110 guy is going to talk up the game no matter what to get his monies worth
>>
>>331206736
What does that have to do with
>"Doesn't matter if the game is shit you will trick yourself into making that a worthwhile purchase"
I paid 70 euros for MGSV and I regret it dearly. It was a lot of money but I'm not that retarded to make excuses for a disappointing and bland video game.
>>
>>331206929
It has everything to do with if it's part of a long running series or a fresh IP. Aseries can stagnate but they'll have made their money and ran.

Also helps me determine if you're spanish.
>>
>>331201465
The top one. More customers is almost always a better thing, even if you make less money at first. Making a sequel is now a much safer investment.
>>
>>331201740
You are assuming the game is good, in which case yes 5 people buying the 20 dollar game is better. But if the game is triple AAA trash with a marketing budget twice the developer budget then the 1 person buying the 110 dollar game is better for them.
>>
>>331201465
The first. It's what helped make games like Rocket League so successful. Word of mouth can be powerful
>>
>>331206383
I bought a $120 founders pack for Firefall.

Fuck that game turned out awfully. It was not a worthwhile purchase at all.
>>
A person who is willing to pay 110 for game is probably more likely to buy dlc too, considering they're probably very interested in the game in the first place to pay over 100 on it. The 5 who buy the 20 game may just bought it because of the price
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.