[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
VR headsets should actually be full helmets. It's pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10
File: oculus-rift.jpg?itok=N1s3wThW.jpg (117 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
oculus-rift.jpg?itok=N1s3wThW.jpg
117 KB, 1200x900
VR headsets should actually be full helmets. It's pretty obvious some retard is going to get injured walking into something or just hitting his head while wearing a VR headset, why would they not just make it a full fledged helmet?

A helmet would play into the video game fantasy even more, it would give them more room for anything they wanted to add to the headset itself, and it would be a shit load safer.

VR helmet with built in headphones, VR Hud? It would be absolutely perfect.
>>
You are not supposed to move while using VR goggles.

Helmets are not comfy and wearing one for hours will get old fast.
>>
>>331119887
Helmets are a shit load more comfy than a giant piece of plastic on the front of your face.

At least the weight is spread amount your entire head instead of just your eyes and ears
>>
File: 3dhead-oculus-killer-interview.jpg (199 KB, 1500x1070) Image search: [Google]
3dhead-oculus-killer-interview.jpg
199 KB, 1500x1070
Don't worry anon, 3DHead's got you covered
>>
File: mdkimage.jpg (36 KB, 580x350) Image search: [Google]
mdkimage.jpg
36 KB, 580x350
>>331120765
interesting...
>>
>feel when they haven't figured out 'glasses'
I don't want to strap a tv to my face, and a helmet is 60s fighter jet stuff. 60S!.
>>
>>331120765
I want one. I have no idea what it is, but I want one.
>>
>>331119393
Need a sniff node too for pixel pussay hm yeah
>>
>>331121706
Some day this will be real. And I will be too old to enjoy it.
>>
File: VR9.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
VR9.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: VR32.webm (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
VR32.webm
3 MB, 853x480
>>
>>331121532
it's the meme of the VR community
>>
>>331121819
One day that flat panel is gonna fall on his face.
>>
>>331121752
What does it smell like, really?
>>
>>331122070
Like sweat and dankness. It's not a good smell, but it get peepee hard.
>>
File: VR21.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
VR21.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>331122038
drunken vr when
>>
>>331119393
Because people have different head sizes anon
>>
File: VR19.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
VR19.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>331122289
Then it's time people start adapting. Seriously, it would make production processes so much easier and profitable. We've been trying to standardize since the industrial revolution and these lazy fucks still come in different shapes and sizes, and with different needs and tastes to boot.
>>
>>331119887
>You are not supposed to move while using VR goggles
Except this is the Vive's main selling point.
>>
>>331119393
I hate to be one of those people that say video games make kids evil or corrupt, I wouldn't ordinarily, but I feel like the worst thing coming with the VR is the next feeling of immersion. It's like you're literally being shot at in call of duty, it's like you're actually killing hookers in GTA. I remember reading an article about people playing GTA VR in first person mode going around and killing people. They felt really fucking weird after that
>>
File: 1458090339458.png (671 KB, 850x917) Image search: [Google]
1458090339458.png
671 KB, 850x917
>tfw you want VR reall bad but you're a poorfag with a shitty PC and it'll cost about $1500 total including PC upgrades
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>331119887
>Helmets are not comfy and wearing one for hours will get old fast.
and the normal goggles wont?
i would think a helmet would be much more comfortable if it's designed well
>>
I have a question:
Can I just use a VR as the tv? I would like to just lay down enjoy the immersion, the 3D and play using the standard controller. Will it be possible?
>>
>>331122863
It depends what you mean, and what games you want to be playing.
If you want to have it to mimic sitting in a cinema or something, looking at a giant screen and playing games on that, then sure.
But if you want it to be as if you're in a game like, say, Skyrim then you'll probably get motion sick since what you're seeing doesn't correlate with what your body is doing. Which is why gamepad controls for VR kinda sucks.
So while it is possible, chances are you'll get motion sick unless the game is made for such an experience, which to be fair, some games are.
If you're one of the few immune to motion sickness though, then there's no problem
>>
>>331122863
FFXIV will probably work like that.
>>
>>331122070
You know that smell of flowers and nature on a hot humid summer day?

Smells exactly like that, at least summer where I live.
>>
>>331122863
For the PSVR it is a feature, not sure about the other two
Probably due to the fact that PSVR is just one screen anyways
You can use it in theater mode and just use it as a screen to play or watch stuff
>>
>>331123179
It's the first option, just mimic the cinema screen. I really like the VR's "Wow you will be in the game" concept, but just like Wii motion, Kinect and Move it's not for me. I enjoy sitting down and playing games moving only my fingers.
Anyway, thank you.
>>
>>331123329
>>331123386
Nice. Thanks.
>>
>That feel of no head set that jacks into the lower part part of the brain causing rem sleel in which the game you are playing is projected as a dream you actually experiance.
>>
>>331124385
You kind of sound like you're wearing one of those right now and the connector is a little loose.
>>
>>331119393
>It's pretty obvious some retard is going to get injured walking into something or just hitting his head while wearing a VR headset, why would they not just make it a full fledged helmet?
Vive has chaperone and Oculus is meant for seated or small areas so you aren't going to hit anything. A helmet would make it larger, heavier and more uncomfortable.
>>
>>331121918
That's why we need full-body-tracking
>>
>>331122863
Yes, but using it as a virtual monitor doesn't make the games 3d
>>
>>331125878
Yeah, inverse kinematics from three points can only get you so far.
>>
>>331125878
What are you talking about? That's great and it should stay that way.
>>
>>331123707
Yeah, Valve's releasing one so you can play all your Steam games in the Vive
>>
>>331122787
>getting this upset over a gimmick
It isn't actually going to make video games better, anon.
>>
>>331121819
the only thing that would make this better is if the guy on the couch was jacking off
>>
>>331126716
It is, actually. What it's not going to do is make regular video games better, of course, just like 3D graphics didn't make 2D video games better. But it will add to the medium.
>>
>>331122070
smell like the fragrance you get for your silicone doll's vagina
>>
>>331126167
im gonna have to agree. this shit is hilarious
>>
>>331119393
what i dont like is the cables thingy

i see all those videos of the guys walking over the cables of the headset all the time , what if you actually fall and cut the cable or something in the headset?
>>
>>331128961
Apparently you get used to dealing with the cable pretty quickly. But it's still annoying, of course.
>>
>>331126881
People won't start designing video games better just because they have VR goggles now.
>>
>>331129110
That's literally exactly what I said. Video games as a whole will be better because there will be VR games in addition to monitor games. Not because VR games will affect monitor game design.
>>
>>331129061
The guy's rigged his sensor boxes to the wall, it's not much of a stretch to mount a cable on the ceiling.

Could do it with a rotating pulley wheel and have a retractable cable so that the cable stays relatively taut and doesn't accidentally hang you.
>>
>>331119393
it needs to be like just a pair of sunglasses. im not wearing some stupid bulky goofy fucking headset on my face for hours.
>>
>>331128961
I think there's a good chance the next gen headsets will already be wireless
>>
>>331130417
Seems difficult. You'll have to stream shitloads of data wirelessly with absolutely no hitches or latency.
>>
>>331130660
Yeah but it is being worked on: http://uploadvr.com/nitero-wireless-vr-2016/

And also the demand for it is huge right now
So many companies have a financial interest in making it work
>>
>>331130417
>>331131419
That's why gearvr and the phone shit will be the norm for vr going forward
>>
>>331130417
>>331130660
>>331131419
And it still needs power, so you'll end up having to wear a bulky ass battery pack to power it all. That or develop shoes that can power it via magnetic induction in the floor. Original Idea DO NOT STEAL
>>
>>331131969
GearVR has the problem of not having head tracking though
Without it I don't really find VR enjoyable

>>331131974
Power isn't an issue if the game is rendered on the PC
I believe the headsets itself draw 5 watts or so
>>
>>331132368
There's already a demo for markerless tracking from a phone camera. Also, Project Tango. I'm pretty confident that it's going to happen in the foreseeable future.
>>
I'd probably get a VR thing if the games for it right now weren't all just gimmicky motion wagglan shit.

I mean I'm not saying the motion aspect of it should remain unutilized, but what's the point of it if there's only gimmicky tech demos around? I want to play a real full production value actual video game
>>
>>331132773
The Oculus Rift doesn't even come with motion controllers, dude. What it sounds like to me is that the extent of your research in the topic is watching webms on /v/.
>>
>>331132985
Or maybe I'm not just exclusively referring to the oculus rift?
>>
>>331132507
I'm sure it will unless VR suddenly dies for some reason
But I imagine getting markerless tracking to work flawlessly will be a lot more difficult than wireless video
>>
>>331133162
There's plenty of non-motion control games for PSVR, too. And Vive's SteamVR thing is open to anyone anyway, isn't it.
Plus, I'm pretty sure you said
> if the games for it right now weren't all just gimmicky motion wagglan shit.
That's quite an encompassing statement.
>>
>>331133274
I still think someone should make something like the Gear VR, but with Lighthouse, and a battery powered lighthouse unit to go with it. You could then either use it in rotational tracking only mode, or put the Lighthouse down on a table or something and have positional tracking.
>>
>>331133476
>There's plenty of non-motion control games for PSVR, too.
Can you name even just one that isn't just a normal videogame with a mod for it that'll output in VR mode and let you turn the camera with your head?

>That's quite an encompassing statement.
Hence why I said I'm not exclusively referring to the OR
>>
>>331132985
Motion controllers are pretty much a hard requirement for the Rift though
Without them all you can only play cockpit simulators and watch passive experiences
>>
>>331133808
>Hence why I said I'm not exclusively referring to the OR
That makes no sense. You said all VR games are waggle. For obvious reason, that doesn't apply to the Rift's entire launch catalog, so what you said is wrong.
>>
>>331133793
That actually seems like a good idea
>>
>>331134073
That's where my first question you just ignored comes in play. There are no non-wagglan VR games. Or are there? Here's the question again since you missed it

>Can you name even just one that isn't just a normal videogame with a mod for it that'll output in VR mode and let you turn the camera with your head?
>>
>>331134362
Not that anon but what defines a VR game to you?
>>
File: gdcblog2[1].png (152 KB, 780x530) Image search: [Google]
gdcblog2[1].png
152 KB, 780x530
>>331134362
You're not going to go all No True Scotsman on me, are you?
>>
>>331134481
A game made for VR, so TF2 and Skyrim don't count because you're just taking an existing videogame and use VR as alternate camera controls.
>>
File: Helmet.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Helmet.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
I would actually pay good money for a racing helmet with VR built into the face plate and speakers into the ears for full immersion. It'd be pretty cool to turn on a racing sim, put a helmet on and be in the game.
>>
>>331119887
>You are not supposed to move while using VR goggles.
Oh, I guess the Vive doesn't exist anymore then?
>>
>>331134683
>You're not going to go all No True Scotsman on me, are you?
No, but I did mention beforehand that I wanted actual full scale games rather than cheap novelty shit. That was the entire point of me complaining.
Posting things like
>VR Tennis Online
really isn't helping in that regard.
>>
>>331134734
That would only be 2D and uncomfortable for your eyes
>>
>>331134924
You see problems, someone else will see an opportunity and make it work. Probably make a killing selling it to high end racing sim facilities/arcades.
>>
>>331134683
Just noticed that Damaged Core and Edge of Nowhere aren't on that, so there's those, too. Oh, and I Expect You To Die.
And the PSVR stuff like Battlezone.

Also, I think your idea of not counting games that can also be played on a monitor is fallacious if they're significantly improved in VR, which basically anything with a cockpit is.
>>
>>331129449
Then you'll hit the cable with your hands if you need to point them upwards
But luckily the cable isn't that big of an issue
>>
>>331135149
I don't think so
Racing drivers wear helmets to protect them in case of an accident, not because they like wearing helmets
In VR you can't get hurt yet so there's no point wearing a big uncomfortable helmet
>>
>>331135607
The point of a sim, especially for training, is to fully replicate the real life experience as closely as possible.
>>
>>331135761
Yes but I would argue that the joy of racing doesn't really come from wearing uncomfortable protective gear unless you are severely autistic
>>
>>331135761
>implying you have to wear a helmet when you can just simulate wearing one in VR
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.