[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get a Vive or an Oculus Rift? Or wait for 4K VR? I mainly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: oculus_rift_inside.jpg (87 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
oculus_rift_inside.jpg
87 KB, 800x600
Should I get a Vive or an Oculus Rift? Or wait for 4K VR?
I mainly want to play driving games and space simulation. FPS would be nice too. So my question is what system has more games. Or does it even matter? I had a program a long time ago that turned any DirectX game into 3D. I could play Crysis with red/blue 3D glasses. Is there a program that does the same just with real 3D on 2 screens?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
34 KB, 480x360
>>331113982
PS vr
>>
>>331113982
Work on completing the recommended PC requirements first. After that is done, and if you still have any money left, then you can worry about throwing your cash out the window.
>>
>>331114282
Nah, I want good graphics. And not a bunch of shitty AAA titles.
>>
File: 1448763584851.jpg (75 KB, 549x1199) Image search: [Google]
1448763584851.jpg
75 KB, 549x1199
Skip first gen. Resolution is too low and there are no games worth playing more then 15 minutes right now
>>
>>331114282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFSt0YSDls
Looks great doesn't it?
>>
>>331114492
I have a 970 and plan on getting the 1500$ AMD dual GPU card once it's released. Or whatever Nvidia brings out to compete.
>>
>>331114650
VR is currently only capable of using one GPU just FYI.
>>
File: 1367412694910.jpg (52 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1367412694910.jpg
52 KB, 490x490
>>331114592
so this is the power of the PS4
>>
>>331114537
What about the VR Union Claire headset? It has 4K and a 170° FoV. Sounds pretty neat, but it's sold out currently.
>>
>>331114592
dat slow clunky combat. I like microsofts hololens better but they cost 3k to even get a devkit. I know not a single dev is going to even bother.
>>
>>331114592
Did anyone truly believe that you would get the same level of experience on the psvr as with the oclulus/vive? For fucks sake the minimum rec is a GTX 970. Dumbasses with no clue of hardware are gonna fall for it in mass. This is the ouya all over again.
>>
>>331113982
Get a PSVR. Its the best VR headset.
>>
If you're on the fence, I'd suggest waiting. Unless you already have a lot of disposable income or are already really passionate about VR, the first generation of headsets probably isn't going to seem worth it to you. It's incredible tech, don't get me wrong - it's just still enthusiast-grade at this point.

Do your own research - both companies just announced their launch lineups at GDC.
Look up gameplay and impressions of the different devices.

At this point, neither side is really pushing for real exclusives or forcing developers to only make games for their headsets specifically (unless we're counting Sony), they've just funded different studios and gotten different games out of the deal. Several games support both devices.

If I were you, I'd wait. You won't be able to get your hands on one for a while yet, anyway.
>>
>>331113982
I've tried both, and they have the same resolution and head tracking accuracy. The difference between Vive vs Rift are their touch controls: Oculus Touch is more accurate.

FPS in VR is basically impossible (okay, it's possible, but an iron stomach is a prerequisite). Forget about it. You cannot convert non-VR games into VR games. The best VR games are like Surgeon Simulator and Work Simulator - playing in a stationary confined virtual space.
>>
>>331114537
Stop trying to redpill faggots.
We need retards to buy first gen if we ever want to see a second one.
>>
>>331113982
PSVR or OSVR. Vive and Oculus are hilariously overpriced.
>>
>>331115887
Why is FPS not possible or at least not good? I played games like Crysis in 3D and it was pretty neat. Also played other first person games with the Oculus DK.
>>
>>331116074
Movement without actual body movement makes the brain freak out.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/virtual-reality/movement-vr
>>
>>331116480
I've been playing around with the DK2 for a while now, and watching lots of recorded Oculus footage on youtube, and I'd say it's something you can definitely get used to.
>>
>>331115887
Your whole post confirms you have no clue what you are talking about.

Especially your claim that oculus touch would be more accurate is outright laughable. The lighthouse technology is by far superior to the optical tracking of the Oculus camera which is at 60Hz.

Please don't misinform people with your biased opinions.
>>
NEVER EVER; EVER BUY FIRST GEN HARDWARE
>>
File: goodone.png (18 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
goodone.png
18 KB, 120x120
>buying first gen VR
>>
>>331117152
Sure, I've heard of people who have claimed to be cured of motion sickness using these things.

But I don't see many of these types of games succeeding if you have to "get used to it". People already reject the "It gets good after 20 hours" argument for games I don't see "It gets good after you stop vomiting" to really take off.
>>
>>331116046
PlayStation wouldn't give us their devkits. OSVR doesn't have devkits to give (afaik).

>>331116074
VR is at its best when you take it slow, focus on the experience/environment rather than story or game mechanics. Can you imagine a slow, leisurely FPS? Well, you can, but such an FPS wouldn't be much of an FPS.

>>331117363
Both Valve and Oculus came to our office and demoed their systems. I'm speaking from experience.
>>
>>331114776
VR with dual GPUs are supported but all it helps with is with frame latency and not so much performance
>>
>>331117593
Both Valve and Oculus came to my house and personally give me their systems.

I'm speaking from ownership perspective.
>>
>>331117593
What made you say Touch is more accurate? I've tried both too and they both seemed the same. Coming from a tech standpoint the Vive actually seems like it would be more accurate given how Lighthouse works.
>>
>>331117593
>>331117746
Oh and your FPS comment makes little sense. I tried Bullet Train with the Touch and it was fast pace and a blast to play.
>>
>>331117593
OSVR does have dev kits (the HDK1), but I don't think they're giving it away for free. If you want to play with one, you need to order one yourself. I actually think they just added a Leap Motion module for it.
>>
>>331117746
I couldn't balance or juggle objects in my hands with Valve's sticks. I could with Oculus Touch.

>>331117908
Bullet Train has a time slowing mechanic. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The game would be unplayable in VR without it.
>>
Wait. The resolution in these headsets is so poor you can't even see the turns coming up ahead in a driving game, nor can you see enemy ships in space/flight simulation. It's atrocious. Imagine playing these games at 320x240, that's about how the resolution stacks against a monitor or TV.
>>
>>331118086
>I couldn't balance or juggle objects in my hands with Valve's sticks. I could with Oculus Touch.

I think that has more to do with the shape of the controllers rather than accuracy. With touch the center is right where your hand is. Vive is a bit above.

>The game would be unplayable in VR without it.

Maybe if you're terrible. I hardly used it. Only time I did was for the missiles at the end but that's only because the finger tracking with Touch is kinda awkward to use. The slowing mechanic actually ruined the fun.
>>
>>331116480
Someone hasn't heard of the Omni
>>
File: tfw when.jpg (339 KB, 1914x1051) Image search: [Google]
tfw when.jpg
339 KB, 1914x1051
>VR Headset
>Omnidirecitonal treadmill
>some kind of motion controller

What games would be immersive to play with these things?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.