[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gothic Vidyas help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Gothic_1_box[1].png (130 KB, 315x400) Image search: [Google]
Gothic_1_box[1].png
130 KB, 315x400
Lately I got interested in trying out the Gothic games, but I don't really know where to start and which ones are actually considered "good".

What's the general consensus here? And are there any "must have" mods like VTM:B's plus patch (no re-balancing and HD mods needed, but can be suggested anyways)?

Any help would be appreciated.
>>
File: Gothic2 2015-12-15 17-19-44-679.jpg (961 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gothic2 2015-12-15 17-19-44-679.jpg
961 KB, 1920x1080
>>331108925
I'm a big fan of 1 and 2. 3 is when they tried to go for the Oblivion audience. For 1 and 2 I'd check out the GOG forums for all the essential patches you'd want. The DX11 renderers make the game run and look great and you'll want the unofficial patches for better stability.
>>
>>331109162
Every time I see this screenshot it makes me want to try this new renderer and some mods as well.
>>
outdated as fuck, Dark Souls combat is superiour in every way, your late to the party

Gothic 3, Risen 2 are garbage, everything else is fine when it is from piranya, don't buy g4 and the other shitty rehashes from other dev
>>
>>331109162
Alright, thanks for the heads up. Do the games still hold up well? I'm not scared about older graphics (I played Deus Ex and Morrowind last year for the first time and enjoyed them just fine) but what about the gameplay standpoint? Are they fun?
>>
>>331109541
They hold up great. Gothic was doing schedules for NPCs a year before Morrowind came out and you really do feel like you're stuck in a prison colony. Gothic 1 has like a 25fps cap though and the platforming is fucked if you uncap it. The keyboard controls will take a bit to get used to but they will feel natural after a while.
>>
>>331109519
>Dark Souls combat is superiour in every way
Too bad about the rest of that game, huh.
>>
>>331109519
>>331109162

>Gothic 3, Risen 2 are garbage, everything else is fine when it is from piranya

So what exactly did go wrong after Gothic 2? I'm curious why the latter games are so despised. Did they switch the formula too much or was it some story element?
>>
>>331110528
Buggy, broken games with really shitty design decisions.
>>
>>331110528
For Gothic 3, I just think they bit off more than they could chew. They tried to make such a big game, the release got delayed multiple times and when they finally had to release it, the game was buggy. And while the big world was nic to look at, the main quest suffered from it by feeling unfocused.
>>
>>331108925
Gothic 1 has small, incredibly detailed world and memorable characters. Also some nice character development and a good combat system.
But the controls are pretty archaic and you have to get used to it. And from what I've heard the english subs and as glorious and perfect as the german one, the polish one should be fine too.
You should start with this because the characters are really fucking good and you'd miss alot of the second games charm if you don't know them.
Can't comment on mods.

Gothic 2 is bigger and better for the most part.
The controls are better, the magic is better, the combat is better.
It's somewhat worse paced than gothic 1 though because it's a good deal longer.
No mods required at all, it's perfect as it is. Some mods add quests though so you might look into it.
This game is my all time favorite and I highly encourage everyone to play it.
The addon makes the game really fucking difficult because the costs for increasing stats are basically doubled. This game will kick your ass unless you know what you're doing. Don't recommend it for the first playthrough. It adds quite a huge area to the game though and some magic, so I also recommend it if you want to play it again.

Gothic 3 was a buggy mess at launch and wants to be oblivion.
Loses the strengths of gothic 1 and 2 but adds a fuckhuge world. Community Patch is required to play it.
Not a big fan of this game though. Forget the addons, they suck ass.

Everything after that was shit and forgetable.
>>
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic

Also remove textures_bikini.vdf from the data folder if you want to uncensor as well
>>
>>331109162
>The DX11 renderers make the game run and look great
It looks neat but I can't figure out how to get it to work on the first Gothic. I dumped all the files in the "system" folder but launching the .exe gives me a warning message telling me that the executable isn't Gothic 2, and then nothing.
>>
>>331112103
Try using this guide
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484664831
>>
>>331109541
The combat was always shit and the controls got a lot of flak even back then but everything else is fantastic. The atmosphere of the colony is enthralling and the game gives you probably the best feeling of growing in power of all RPGs I've ever played.
>>
>>331108925
I think you'll need that mod to fix it to 60fps because for many the game is unplayable at around 20fps without it.
The first one has a weird control scheme but you get used to it.
2 is better off with the 2.6 fix and you can try the DX11 renderer if you have a good PC.
Other than that I can say they really are both majestic and my favorite games.

>>331110528
Gothic 3 completely DESTROYS the Gothic feeling (which is you're a piece of shit and an orc fart could kill you so fly down for a while and don't rustle anybody's jimmies until you've ranked up a little).
Every enemy feels the same, you can take on anything because lollevelscaling.
Other than that the combat despite getting more "complicated" aka more options is retarded and fast attack always wins. I think the community patch kinda makes up for this but why bother when the game doesn't have any coherence and revolves around your level?
Also the community patch doesn't resolve the facet that backpedaling with a bow=invincible so there's that also.
For Risen the first one feels like KIIND OF a Gothic game even if it lacks on that all going to shit atmosphere but the game itself has about the same kind of freedom for which the series is known.
Risen 2 and 3 are just laughable, stuff like you open a chest and you're suddenly on your own "instance" where everything around turns to black and invisible walls or screen turning black and resetting you to a previous position if you go where you shouldn't.
Stuff like that is in utter conflict with Gothic's design and I honestly lost all hope for the devs pulling out a good game ever again.
Now they're just mediocre "ok" (for modern standards) RPG makers and that's it.
>>
>>331112185
That worked. Thanks.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.