[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exanima
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1458064807124.jpg (270 KB, 908x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458064807124.jpg
270 KB, 908x1200
Just tried Exanima. Great physics model, tries to emulate how finicky fighting can be, great lighting model and AI even fights one another should the need arise.

Why isn't this game talked about more?
>>
>>331101793
>Early Access
>>
>>331101793
It needs more content, I like the combat but that's about it.
The movevement can be a little bit clunky at times for example when you're trying to run away your character has to turn on place and then run.

I hope they release the RPG soon though, that looks like alot of fun.
>>
>>331103860
The game is harmed by it because most people see it only as a physics simulator now. Kinda like Overgrowth.
>>
>>331104269
Yeah turning is a bad mechanic

What RPG?
>>
>>331104510
Sui Generis.
It's under development.
>>
>>331104752
I don't get why they don't focus on one thing. Are they desperate for early access coin?
>>
>>331104885
Exanima is supposed to cut into Sui Generis lore. If I remember correctly they said it is supposed to show some event happening before Sui Generis and they probably made it in order to give people a little taste of what the game might be/play like.

I want them to add in the magic or whatever they call it, seems a little bit OP though.
>>
>>331105202
With that physics system it would be nice to have some kind of kinetic magic, subtle and understated. I didn't play either much, is there anything to do except flail? Are there puzzles?
>>
>>331105909
In Exanima there is an optional puzzle part that I rembember very much. I got through half of the puzzle part but ended falling into a pit.

I rage quitted on that part because I'm a sore loser but it's nothing super hard, it made me think on some spots. You have to play the campaign to access these puzzles.

Flail is the dodge right? If so you can block as well but I really prefer dodging since it usually turns out more rewarding.
If you got a shield or are extremely heavy by wearing lots of armor I would say that blocking is better since you can't move around as easily.
>>
>>331106808
I meant flail not as a weapon or a dodge but as a haphazard way your character swings various things about. I think game's wonky movement works well enough in combat but limits the amount of non-combat stuff you can do, because then it just becomes frustrating. Not sure they will overhaul it much at this point.
>>
>>331105909
They are calling the magic 'Thaumaturgy' with forms, Force Body Mind Energy Light and Displacement

Displacement is pretty neat, can teleport yourself or people/objects around you.
>>
>>331107534
Don't know, magic sounds too fluid for the way game was designed, especially teleporting. You can't even turn properly on your feet.

Oh

Is there dismemberment in this game? Not as a death animation, but during combat?
>>
>>331107705
Not yet. Thry only recently added a thrusting and knockout mechanic.
>>
>>331107974
Wonder if dismemberment can be done properly in this game. When thinking about magic I go back to what Arx Fatalis did and what seems impossible here unless they'd add first person perspective as well.

Just pressing a button to cast would seem out of place in this system.
>>
>>331108110
They could do a vancian magic system where you have to rest to replenish your spells.
>>
>>331108243
Yeah, but the core problem is in the way you'd cast them in the first place since these games are built around standard combat moves being iffy to execute.
>>
>>331107705
It's like a short teleport, only on screen. But the practicality is there. Displacing as a large blow comes at you and reappearing to catch the foe off guard. Displacing items directly to your inventory. Teleporting to the top of a castle wall for a quick infiltration. Literally teleporting a foe into open air, where they fall to their death.

They've already shown off all this in various videos on youtube.
>>
>>331101793
cause it's neat but not fun
>>
>>331108568
It would be more fun if there was dismemberment and enemies died faster. Pacing is off.
>>
>>331108568
Do you consider yourself good at combat?
Does it still look drunken?

Enemies really aren't that hard, especially in campaign. 2 solid hits with a 2handed weapon can take out an undead.
>>
>>331108647
maybe if there were stats you put in at the start and trained up like speed and strength it'd make it better. they make it out to be every fight is you slowly waving around a stick until you get some shitty hit on a backwards swing and it finally kills them. Also, maybe if there was like fire/poison damage that'd be neat.
>>
>>331108898
lame, i like that the game isn't about number crunching
>>
>>331108898
No need for stats if you have a solid physics engine.
>>
Yeah it's really fun, of course there's a severe lack of content
The combat is really satisfying to get good at
>>
>>331109015
adding stats makes it more realistic cause not everyone has the same strength and speed irl
>>
>>331109174
because strength and speed are explicit numeric values irl
>>
>>331109174
Just program the physics engine to take that into account.
>>
File: exanima.webm (619 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
exanima.webm
619 KB, 853x480
I'm pretty sure at some point they said the game is just a tech demo for a much bigger rpg they were planning. Though that was probably a year ago, maybe thing have changed.
>>
>>331109280
if you're saying that strength and speed can't be stated mathematically you're retarded
>>331109305
yeah but it wouldn't be randomly generated and i hate when games just have hidden stats
>>
>>331109280
>not knowing everything and anything can be expressed numerically
>csgo player
>>
The compaign is pretty damn boring
Why don't they just focus all their attention on arena mode
>>
>>331109814
they should have an arena mode where it's just full of furniture and shit and you gotta beat each other up like that. Maybe a tavern setting or something.
>>
This game proves that TECHNOLOGY should always be the focus of development, shame that every such game takes ages to develop compared to "story driven experiences". Gameplay should tell its own tale.
>>
>>331110017
There's a scene in third Book of the New Sun where a "boss" tries to murder the protag with a giant weapon that breaks off shards of stone once he misses and hits the wall instead. Would love to see similar environment stuff in video games.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.