[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this game get praise because it's legitimately good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
File: 2964833-witcher-3.jpg (579 KB, 1518x1643) Image search: [Google]
2964833-witcher-3.jpg
579 KB, 1518x1643
Did this game get praise because it's legitimately good or is it because everything else sucked last year?
>>
>>331081357
u play as a fuckin badass that rapes enemies but not just that has Sexual Encounters with women.
youve never seen a character on the edge like this!
>>
File: 17.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
17.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
its fun. main story is sort of medicore but has some highlights like the crones and baron. the side quests are my favorite part. hearts of stone was great, so theres every reason to believe blood and wine will be awesome too.
>>
Lived up to the hype
>>
>>331081357
I personally loved it.
>>
>>331081748
this
>>331081796
this
>>
>>331081357
I loved the game.

I didn't really finish Witcher 1, managed to finish Witcher 2 but when I bought Witcher 3 it just sucked me in.

What I love the most about the Witcher 3 is that I can literally go take a random quest and the questline has a chance to be more interesting then whole plots of other games.
>>
I loved it, in my top rpg games now
>>
>>331081357
bloodborne and MGS didn't suck.

the game was really ogod
>>
>>331081357
Played for about 150 hours without getting bored
>>
It's legitimately good in a lot of ways, with a few notable flaws.

As a finale to the series it was quite well-done, combining elements people liked from the first two games (such as a return to the first game's atmosphere) and building upon them. And as an open world game it's a new benchmark in terms of story, sidequests and world design, pretty much shitting on everything Bethesda has ever put out except the better bits of Morrowind. Presentation is also fantastic, and for an open world game they didn't neglect the detail the way many of them do.

It has plenty of issues - I personally enjoyed the combat well enough and will defend it for at least being better than previous Witcher games, but it's definitely not that great, the open world has a lot of Ubisoft-ish filler in it, and the quests rely a bit too heavily on the "look at things with Witcher sense, follow a trail, fight a thing" formula - but I think relative to the rest of the series/genre it deserves the praise it got.
>>
>>331081357
It was legitimately good and almost everything else sucked last year
>>
>>331081357
Pretty much both. But the game was good. I mean really good.
>>
>>331081357
>everything else sucked last year
niceme.me
>>
>>331082564
I haven't enjoyed a singleplayer game like this for years. 100+ hours going. I might even pick it up again and do new game +.
>>
>everyone saying they "loved" it
shit im still playing it. i love it
>>
>>331081357
It's because people nowadays care about nothing but graphics and cutscenes in games.
>>
File: new record.png (6 KB, 419x172) Image search: [Google]
new record.png
6 KB, 419x172
No last year didn't suck but yes it was the best game.

How long do you think this record would last given how many goty awards are getting handed out?
>>
>>331081357
Legitimately good. Loved the world and I loved that the devs legitimately went and fixed things with the updates + added a lot of content for free. Combat is nothing special but you have a lot of options to spice things up if you want to.

One of the rare games where that actively rewards exploring every nook and cranny.

I also found myself completing ALL quests i encountered, just because i enjoyed the fuck out of the game.

Cant wait for the second dlc
>>
>>331081357
Both. Witcher 3 had some great ass memorable quests
>that hym quest in Skellige
>towerful of mice
>carnal sins
>The Play's The Thing

and more
>>
>>331081357
It's okay. It's full of logical holes and many, MANY of the quests are extremely hastily written. The main story is extremely barebones for the most part, but has some excellent parts like the Crones. The combat is pretty good (turn on alternative movement), if a bit simple. The pace of the game is quite off, and it kind of bounces between moving way too slow and way too fast. The best part of the game is honestly just riding around the enviroment and feeling immersed.

Overall it was a 6/10 or 7/10 for me. Didn't live up to Witcher 2, didn't have the pull Witcher 1 had, but it's an okay rpg and better than most things released these days.
>>
>>331081357
It's a good game and I'm still surprised at how well they managed to get it to work on consoles. That was risky move on their part but it's probably the best looking game on either next gen console.
>>
>>331081357
>everything else sucked last year

ebin

2015 was one of the best years for video games in recent memory
>>
>>331087243
With incredible titles such as

- Bloodborne
- Wild Hunt?
-
-
-
-
>>
Probably in my top 3
>>
>>331087279
>pls help I am a triple AAA only plebeian

ok
>>
>>331087453
>muh 6deep8u deep emotional 2d indieshit

Tab back into undertale
>>
>>331087492
Who are you quoting
>>
>>331087538
I'm quoting you, anon
>>
>>331087596
Who?
>>
>>331085924
>Forgetting the Bloody Baron
>>
>>331087453
Whoaa there Roach
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE9fPWy1_o4

Using the gwent soundtrack in Hearthstone is brilliant.
>>
The base game is great, the DLC made it unforgettable.

Can not contain my excitement for Blood and Wine.
>>
TW3 is unironically one of my favorite games. The only thing I remember hating about it was fucking Roach.
>>
>>331089245
I hate horse controls in most games. RDR did it best, TW3 did it all right. Both are fucking miles ahead of Twilight Princess, though. Replaying it in HD and wondering how that shit got past the testing phase.
>>
>>331089245
When the game was glitched with Roach and he'd get stuck every 2 seconds with Geralt yelling
>whoa, roach!
>>
File: witcher3 2016-01-24 17-51-27.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
witcher3 2016-01-24 17-51-27.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Incredible adventure
>>
>>331089368
>>331089383
My 3 favourite games are RDR, TW3 and M&B Warband and TW3 easily has the worst horse controls of the lot.
>>
>>331089245
It's unironically mine too. There are not many SP games I have dropped 165 hours into.
>>
>>331081357
very good story telling,
main story mediocre, some side quests are really good
shitty combat and inventory,
lost of bugs.
>>
>>331089695
>inventory
>lots of bugs

Not anymore famalam, they patched the game many times.
>>
Other games were even more shit because this game fucking rekt them all. 11/10 perfect amount of water
>>
>>331081357
It won because of the open world meme and not looking as shit as Fallout 4 did
>>
>>331089769
well thats how they reward early buyers.
>buy game early in full price
shitty, bugs
>wait a bit buy cheap second hand.
everything works fine.
>>
>>331081357
Last year was fantastic for games, you jaded fuck
>>
>>331087279
Emily is away
Undertale
Halo 5
>>
>still hasn't released the new redkit
Feels bad being one of the few people who actually worked on new content with it for tw1 and tw2 and then being told by CDPR to fuck off for wanting proper mod support and not the garbage we were given instead.

Game is a 7.5/10, but them fucking me and others over is upsetting. It's like they didn't want to extend the life and popularity of their game for free.
>>
As a standalone game it was pretty good but it sucked as a witcher game.

>CDPR didn't respect the source material
>the main story was too long and ran out of steam in the second half
>the main villain had no presence
>designed primary for consoles
>downgraded graphics although still good didn't justify the system reqs
>>
>>331090549
>ran out of steam in the second half
Ran out of steam with that whole fucking around looking for dandelion part

I dropped the game for a week after that bullshit.
>>
>>331090703
Fuck you Novigrad was the best part
>>
>>331090784
Oh fuck off, Novigrad was the shittiest RPG I've played this decade. It was so awful the only reason I kept going and didn't drop the game like a rock was because a buddy kept telling me Skellige is great.
>>
>>331081357
It was an inoffensive, accessible WRPG and game journalists wanted a Game of Thrones-type thing to fawn over.
>>
>>331090703
It ran out of steam after the first battle with the wild hunt.; however, traveling to other worlds was pretty cool.
>>
I played around 10 hours a few weeks ago. I found it boring and started playing something else. I haven't uninstalled it in case I might want to play again. I think you guys were hyped as hell and since it was an ok game you got hooked.
>>
>>331090784
Novigrad was fine, but I didn't give a flying fuck about dandelion.
>>
no wonder why you find this game boring if you play it as this is a single game when witcher 1, 2 and 3 make full story, so you are just playing from the middle of the series hyped by graphics
you fucking losers
>>
>>331081357

Legitimately one of the best games you'll ever play. Ignore /v/'s contrarian bullshit
>>
>>331081357
If I was to rate it compared to what passes for videogames nowadays I'd rate it a 45/10

it has its flaws, but damn, its still a 45/10
>>
File: 1457410062359.jpg (87 KB, 673x813) Image search: [Google]
1457410062359.jpg
87 KB, 673x813
Combat is bland. That's the only negative I have for it. For some people this doesn't detract from the game at all, and for others it's a dealbreaker.
Don't listen to the people who say it's great and go in thinking you'll absolutely love it, because you might not feel the same and be disappointed. Don't listen to the people who say it's shit, because you'll miss out on a pretty good game.

just give it a try
>>
>>331081357
>Press A to flail your sword combat
>Unresponsive enemy animations
>Boring, grinderp fantasy world with a "twist" of humans being non natives
>Bigoted as fuck reviews

It sucks.
>>
>>331090535
probably because their latest version of redkit will be the base for most of their future games. It's like expecting dice to release frostbite 3 to public or ubishit and the engine they use for their AC/WD/other generic sandbox games.
>>
>>331081357

It's legitimately good. Great even.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. The combat can feel kind of bland. Some of the controls are clunky. The inventory is shit. Even though the world you can explore is huge, there are quite a few areas that feel like they were just copied and pasted. The music while free roaming gets pretty repetitive. It could have used a bit more enemy variety.

But the story is SO good, and it's made even better by how many different outcomes there are to any given questline or character arc based on the decisions you make. You will feel feels, lots of them, and you will regret some decisions you make. Even the side quests are more well-written than the average AAA games main story these days. And it's long. 50+ hours long, NOT including side quests or secrets to discover or the *free* expansion packs. And even though the combat is a weak spot, it can still be immensely satisfying, and requires a fair amount of strategy depending on what level you are or what difficulty you're playing on. Also even though there are copypasted areas, in a general sense the open world is beautiful and a thrill to explore. Hunting for treasure with your Witcher sense in abandoned campsites or wrecked ships at sea or monster caves or ruins or graveyeards etc. is very exciting. The world feels like it was meticulously crafted to be mysterious and atmospheric. And it's divided into regions that each have a distinct feel. There's poor areas and rich areas, foresty areas and mountainous areas and everything inbetween.

tl;dr: It's a great game and I strongly recommend it. One of the few games that lives up to the hype.
>>
>>331081357
It's a legitimately great game. I loved it. One of the few times I've done 100 hours in a game.

I was probably too hyped for the game and should've been disappointed because well, the fighting did need some work, and the character build/progression is a little jacked. The start is way too slow. The first 8 hours are a grind, then if you load yourself like 3 levels above, you'll be way overleveled cause story quests give too much XP. Except they occasionally throw in some brutal boss fights that call for cheesing.

That said: I love the game, can't wait for Heart of Stone.
>>
>>331092991
Jesus, get the fuck out of this thread before someone spoils Hearts of Stone for you.
>>
>>331081357
It's a great game with a major flaw, it's combat. But the quests (even if there are a lot of basic fetch quests and such), the environment and world, and the setting/story make up for it quite a lot.
>>
I've actually held off from playing it due to complaints about combat. Was that just a /v/ meme?
>>
>>331081357
Some sort of both, because main competitor of Witcher - DAI was literally one of the worst game.
>>
>>331081357
I went into it just being sort of "meh" after finishing Witcher 2, and never having played the first one, and it's now one of my favorite games ever. While the combat isn't phenomenal by any stretch, it's still serviceable, and everything else about it got knocked out of the park. I know /v/ hates this word, but it's a comfy game to just go exploring in, and discovering stuff, and it's one of the few games I've played where forests actually feel like forests.

My only real knock on it is that Skellige is a bitch to navigate, with all the rocks, trees, and steep hills.
>>
>>331093712
Really? Damn, I was going to jump into that one once I was done with W3.
>>
>>331093414
Yes and no. Combat is better than it was in 1 and 2, but it is still a bit messy.
>>
>>331094000
DAI was very mediocre desu.
>>
>>331090892
I honestly thought that was the end of the game, bookending everything where the first game started. I was pretty surprised when it kept going.
>>
>>331090784
I got major Assassin's Creed 2 vibes running around Novigrad.

I also felt like Novigrad was kind of a letdown after the Baron/Crones storyline.
>>
>>331081357
desu little bit of both
>>
>>331091357
I dropped it for a few months when all the Autumn releases started trickling out, and picked it up again recently. I still love it, despite the newness having worn off.
>>
>>331094190
Sounds like it's still acceptable though. Fuck, I found Secret of Mana to have acceptable sword combat, so I'm sure I'll like this
>>
>>331081357
Now ask this for every year starting with 2008.
>>
>>331091357
The base game of Witcher 3 is pretty mediocre desu. It opens slowly and overall it's maybe 6/10. Hearts of Stone was fantastic though, easily 8/10. If Blood and Wine is as high quality as Hearts then it will definitely make TW3 top tier overall.
>>
File: 1366320877786.png (457 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
1366320877786.png
457 KB, 500x494
Liked it alot but fuck cdpr for not releasing proper mod support and fuck level scaling gear
>>
>>331081357
I got 50 hours out of it and I fucking enjoyed the shit out of it. It was a fantastic game and gave me some decent feels for the countryside while Im trapped in this cyberpunk hell called Seoul.
>>
>>331096045
Have they said how big the new map is going to be, in comparison to the base game Velen/Novigrad map? I'm sure it won't be nearly as big, obviously, but surely it's got to be bigger than White Orchard.
>>
>>331096378
Not precisely, but they said the plot of it is going to be ~20 hours. So I would imagine it will be around the size of Velen or Novigrad.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.