[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
any of you guys played this yet? if so how was it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: saltlogo.gif (3 MB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
saltlogo.gif
3 MB, 1000x512
any of you guys played this yet? if so how was it?
>>
The core is souls games adapted to 2d platformer form. To me, some of the elements don't really mesh with a platformer, like roll based dodging.

The problems lie in the platformer aspect, where it seems to have made a lot of annoying mistakes. projectiles kill mid-air momentum instantly, everything staggers the player, huge knockback with loss of control on large enemies, getting hit from behind turns the player around, foreground visuals obscuring the view, to name a few

All in all, enjoyable but not amazing
>>
>>331057808
Having only seen the trailers why is there so much time put into enemys but the player character looks like ass
>>
>>331057808
Agree with this post. It's a good game. would love a map even they try to rip off Souls of not having one.
>>
I've been having fun with it. Character DOES look like ass, but I made a combo that didn't seem as abrasive to me.

I've only beaten one boss, but it was a nice learning curve. The map is cool, interconnected, lots of branching paths and a cool atmosphere. I love the sea/salt theme too. Seems like they have a lot of cool secrets added too.

I'd recommend, 18 USD wasn't too much for me to spend but I understand if people would like to wait for a sale.
>>
>>331058383

I played it for a few hours today and yea, you never get over the ninja turtle heads on your character. Best thing to do is grab a helmet asap.

Here's my quick list of pros and cons:

Pros:
- Great looking world and enemy/boss designs.
- Boss battles are unique and fun.
- Shocking amount of customization within a class (think Path of Exile).
- Appears to have an indepth crafting system but I haven't fully unlocked certain parts of it so take this point with a grain of salt.
- Couch co-op is supported.
- Lives up to the Souls style difficulty expectation.
- Tons of lore and backstory if you want it.
- Cheap price ($17)

Cons:
- Character head art is terrible.
- Combat can feel unfair in certain situations (very easy to get infinitely juggled if you are against a pair of fast attacking mobs, being forced to do combat on a small platform, etc).
- UI is very bare bones and pretty ugly.

I plan to keep playing it so take that for what you will.
>>
Loving it, it actually did a proper.. ripping off.. job and captured souls pretty damn well.

I'm just glad I'm wearing this pumpkin head so I don't have to see my character's face (I also gave him hefty hair and a beard, so even without the mask I still mostly don't see it)

About to fight last boss soon, on a first time through going blind without rushing it's around a 20-25 hours game to find/do everything before going to NG+
>>
>reach cliff in early areas
>like 4-5 message bottles in front telling me to jump
it's souls alright
>>
>>331057808

Roll based dodging being so essential is one of the things that turned me off the most about the Souls games. Makes the fights look retarded, and it's boring for it to be the thing you do the most in a fight.
>>
>>331061278
I don't mind roll based dodges as an essential to combat, it just doesn't work for me in 2d
>>
>>331057808
roll works fine, it's just not a "avoid all" button with massive iframes, but more for movement and actually not getting hit

need proper spacing (especially for rolling through bosses), and not good for dealing with every single moves
>those people rolls through a low attack instead of jump over it

>>331059774
when downed, you're invincible -- getting back up by mashing jump in middle of attacks rather than wait is what gets you stunlocked/juggled -- but typically best to let them get together and stunlock them yourself with strong attacks

--

ultimately game is pretty easy anyway, early on I died to a few bosses but then it turned into a cakewalk after getting used to it -- literally only thing that still killed me is falling down pits
>>
HOW THE FUCK DO I KILL THIS DRAGON?!?!??!!?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>331063958
when flying look at camera to tell which way it's coming from, run in opposite direction -- if near the edge of the screen, then run toward it so it'll pass you before it start breathing fire

if it lift head up to breath fire while on the ground, roll through it and tear it a new asshole -- got time to combo there

if it stands a bit facing instead, likely going to tail smash instead, jump

for everything else just roll like a mad man

if it's the fire that's killing you, the blacksmith set you may have found in a sanctuary has through the roof fire resist, there's a fire resist ring to be found somehwhere too

and whenever it passes by, give it a quick air hit
>>
>>331064181
My biggest issue is it's lunge
>can't block it's lunge
>can't roll it
What do I do against it's lunge?
>>
>>331064253
just stay close, then you can roll forward I recall

at range you'll be mostly fucked
>>
File: 2016-03-17-010125.jpg (173 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17-010125.jpg
173 KB, 1920x1080
sup, I heard you wanted a trip down?
>>
File: 2016-03-17-010459.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17-010459.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
>>331060157
>hair and beard to hide face
old man pauper with a pitchfork master race reporting in
>>
>>331064336
I DID IT

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOLY SHIT.

That was fun.
>>
>>331065773
grats
>>
Neat game. Gonna try to finish it before DkS3 then it's getting uninstalled for a long while.
>>
My first character was tough at first, but my second character I've done every boss naked and it's too easy. Idk, maybe if I tried a magic build it'd get harder.
>>
File: image%3A29637.jpg (8 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
image%3A29637.jpg
8 KB, 211x246
>That artstyle

Would have preferred pixelshit desu
>>
>>331068847
magic/faith just makes things even easier

for the most part you still have good melee just with a lot of extra tools at your disposal

beating game unlocks challenge mode though (may remember from character select screen), I didn't look into those but if you want it to be harder may be up your alley
>>
>>331057293

Great gameplay, ugly visuals. Its also really fucking long with a lot of bosses and stuff to collect. Took me almost 20 hours in my first playtrough. Doing a second one now as a dex user.
>>
Looks like a fucking new grounds game
>>
I found an NPC that removes sins and cure curses but I have no idea what that means. How do I know if I have sinned or if I have a curse status? There is nothing that indicates this. And what does it do?
>>
>>331069806
Sin is when you abandon your convenent and take oath with another one

Curse I "think" is tied to using a stained page and desecrating another covenant, then its NPC will hate you so much they try to attack you every time until you murdered them all permanently
>>
Art style looks like an emo pop-punk/rap album cover from 2005.

They almost had it.
>>
>>331072497
Art looks good enough, only place it really fails is on the player character and friendly npcs. Enemies and bosses all look really nice.
>>
Parrying in this feels so smooth and responsive.

Also we Guts now
>>
>>331073076
Have another webm, this scared the panic that set in after the first one was too real.
>>
>>331073970
those assholes made me glad I had that high verity reach cleric spell
>>
>>331075810
>verity
vertical
>>
So I just got a brand on my hand from a dude hanging upside down. What does that do?
>>
>>331076457

Check your inventory, brands have their own tab and you can read what they do.
>>
I really enjoyed this game on my first playthrough.

I haven't been interested in a single game for 2 months and I put 30 hours into this game since it's release.

Would really recommend anybody with a ps4 to pick it up.
>>
all this shilling
>>
What's the soundtrack like?
>>
>>331077760
it works for the game, nothing I'd listen to outside of it though
>>
>>331077760
No good, I play with it off. Think about the generic rock music you heard in old Newgrounds flash games.
>>
>>331058383
That's pretty accurate to Souls games though.
>>
>>331079068
There is no rock music in this game. Are you just lying for the sake of it? The slow burn chords are like calling espers rock music.
>>
I literally only heard about this game via a different thread an hour ago, holy shit it's so fun seeing all of the Dark Souls parallels. They really tried to make it as accurate as possible.
>>
>>331057293
House of Splendor is best 'covenant'
>Seek more gold
>>
>>331079629
>get into Mire of Stench
>there's a huge wheel thingy to ride on and go up/down
>there's poison water at the bottom
>there's stuff shooting poison darts at you everywhere
>there's bunch of platforms that are easy to fall off from with stuff trying to knock you off
>giant wasps hanging around
I don't know why but it feel awfully familiar
>>
>>331080743
I'm alright with it being a 2D dark souks and all, but I would've liked more originality from enemy designs/hazards. Some enemies are literally just shittier, 2D versions of enemies in dark souls
>>
For a game that's literally 'we want to make Dark Souls on an indie budget' it's pretty good
>>
>>331073076

>Those visuals

I was interested but nope, I can't stand that
>>
>>331079629
>They really tried to make it as accurate as possible.

They literally copied dark souls without any originality added to the game
>>
Is it fun to play?
>>
>>331083596
No.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.