[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is pic related still the best realized video game series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: MaxPayne.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MaxPayne.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1080
why is pic related still the best realized video game series?
>>
>>331012058
because sam lake
>>
the first two were, third was ok but the plot sucked and there were some needlessly infuriating design decisions that made it so much less fun
>>
>>331012220
>some needlessly infuriating design decisions
Like what
>>
the photo textures mean they will continue to hold up forever. The models are the problem. Which begs the question why some autist hasn't made new models for the entire game yet.
>>
>>331012220
That's because it was made by Rockstar, not Remedy, who've never made a bad game.
>>
>>331012948
I love remedy and I look forward to the return of alan wake but I have bad tidings about the locked down win 10 store quantum break. I wonder how bad MS is strong-arming them
>>
>>331012220
some of the cutscene segments are annoying, but overall the plot is excellent and ties in well to the previous two
>>
>>331012058
Playing the first one for the first time, the game aged like wine
>>
>>331013383
the plot is super straightforward and lacks any humor, so I don't see how it's anything like the others
>>
>>331012545

Switching your gun out during cutscenes would be one of them.

Placing you into cover in a lot of them, too. Basically pigeonholing your choices on how you want to make contact with the enemy.
>>
>>331012545
forced cover
weapon limit
shouldn't even need to list anything past that.
>>
>>331014040
>nitpicking this hard

>>331016334
>forced cover
How are you this bad
>>
>>331016489

... nitpicking? It's part of the fucking gameplay.
>>
>>331016683
>you have to switch your gun after a cutscene
>you have to get out of cover after a cutscene
Game. Ruined.
>>
>>331016842

Nigger you asked what the problems were and they told you, if you didn't want people to criticize your precious perfect game you shouldn't have asked to begin with.
>>
>>331016842

Considering there are cutscenes every 5 minutes of actual gameplay, yeah this is quite substantial.
>>
>>331017143
I wasn't even the guy who asked

>>331017189
Exaggerating isn't helping you anon
>>
>>331017143
>>331017189
Fuck you retardeds, the first two games are trash, Rockstar improved so much on the third one that you dumb idiots can't even understand it, so you complain.

>>331017303
agree with you, dumb fucking retards poting stupid shit.
>>
>>331017425
>resorts to false flagging
LMAO
>>
>>331016683
do u also get charged up when you have to open the fridge door yourself
>>
File: 1442518808849.jpg (50 KB, 700x504) Image search: [Google]
1442518808849.jpg
50 KB, 700x504
>>331017573
>falling to his own paranoia

Boy, you are a handful.
>>
>>331012058
How can it still be the best when the third one exists?
>>
>>331017303

The amount of cutscenes are an issue in and of themselves. In Max Payne 1 & 2 you had some, sure, but you also had entire stages empty of them where if you decided to take your time and hide, you could listen in on some NPC interaction.

This happens, MAYBE, 4 times throughout Max Payne 3. The rest are cutscenes. Just stages riddled with cutscene after fucking cutscene. God damnit.
>>
File: 1441769397403.jpg (68 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1441769397403.jpg
68 KB, 431x450
>>331017573
>Max Payne 1&2 are trash
>Compared to the third one

MP3 is fun and all but you're not really helping your case when you invite criticism then act like a petulant retard when you receive it.
>>
>>331018080
Did you reply to the wrong post?
>>
>>331013583
Yeah, cause the game about a mans wife and child being murdered by drug addicts, causing him to go on a murderous rampage and have horrible nightmares due to said drugs being forcefully injected into him had such a fucking hilarious story.
>>
>>331016489
>How are you this bad
no, you retard. there were sections of gameplay where you were literally forced into cover and could not get out of it.
>>
File: I think I've lost it.jpg (109 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
I think I've lost it.jpg
109 KB, 406x364
>>331013383
>the plot is excellent and ties in well to the previous two
It ties in like shit. Max Payne games are self-aware, although the second game was a little bit less straightforward about it. They're silly to a degree. They've got this postmodern deconstruction feel about them: Dick Justice series is a good example. Third one is so deliberately serious it's ridiculous; and it pretty much goes full circle with character writing where every single NPC feels more like a cardboard cutout than actual cardboard cutout caricatures from the first game. There's no subtlety to it, there's no irony, there's fucking nothing. There aren't even any random enemy conversations - of course Max not knowing BR was done deliberately but at the very least they could do something to make enemies have some personality - something like scripted bickering done with gestures.

Not only that, in Max Payne games mood has always been the most important thing instead of the actual 1:1 recreation of the location features. Sure, it's New York, many phototextures were actually taken on location (as far as I know, at least), levels are designed in a very realistic fashion - but it's still its own thing first and foremost. Rockstar did the exact opposite. They copied real life locations but forgot to make them have any substance beyond what they actually are. There's a stadium, there's an abandoned hotel, there's a bus depot. They look great. Cool. Yet they still manage to lack any personality. Take a look at Ragna Rock/Vodka or Max's apartment building or the police station - they're all distinct. Even Cold Steel factory is interesting. Levels in MP3 are designed like a GTA game: "Let's copy lots of real life locations and they'll speak for themselves".
>>
>>331019813
The story pacing is also all over the place. I don't really mind flashbacks being scattered throughout the course of present events, that was actually done fairly well. However, you don't have any motivation for any-fucking-thing. The undercover cop (I think he was called Victor - see, I forgot that completely too) appears out of nowhere when Max is walking around in favelas and I got that you were supposed to notice him during the end of the first level only upon replaying the game. The people you're supposed to guard are all dickheads - there's nothing wrong with them painted as such but they aren't even the interesting kind of dickheads. They're just background noise. The organ trafficking/corrupt cops act felt more like an asspull than anything. There's no clear antagonist. For a moment I thought that long-haired dude was supposed to be one, but instead you get a police special forces chief and some politician guy you don't have any god damn motivation to kill. They're turning people into glue or some shit, nice. In general, story is written and paced like your typical Housershit: "Let's rip a movie off scene by scene and say we're cinematic".

Finally, there's an issue of Rockstar completely misunderstanding several subtle but powerful ideas from the previous game. Max stopped smoking when his family got killed, yet he now does why exactly? He didn't do it for several years. Drinking, sure, but no smoking ever. If Houser needed to show Max down in the shitter, he could have had enough material with just painkillers and alcohol. Secondly, TV shows which were intervowen directly into the narrative are now something akin to easter eggs. Also they're not fun. Thirdly, decorative interactivity which didn't really serve any purpose beyond opening stuff for extra ammo, stuff like toilet flushes is completely gone. You can play the piano sometimes, nothing more.

All in all, Max Payne 3 is exactly what it is: a TPS made by GTA devs. At least it plays well.
>>
>>331018889
its fucking satire
ever watched the tv series in the games? they even laugh at themselves
>>
>>331019980
Address Unknown was great, I always wanted it to be a real TV show, and then I learned it was a Twin Peaks knock-off

I owe Max Payne for introducing me to my favorite TV show ever
>>
>>331012058
I quite liked 3. Played 1 and 2 when they came out and never touched them again. Felt like 3 was a good sequel-of-sorts and paid enough respect to the older games while still crafting it's own story. Felt like time had passed and it was a distant memory that Max, even though he'd tried to get away from is suddenly having to face it again while dealing with this new shit.

That being said, i can totally imagine hating it if i had played MP1 and 2 more recently and then played 3 though.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.