[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I start playing World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2? Never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11
File: wowvsgw2.jpg (240 KB, 1281x720) Image search: [Google]
wowvsgw2.jpg
240 KB, 1281x720
Should I start playing World of Warcraft or Guild Wars 2? Never played an MMO before but want to try sinking time into one.
>>
Neither.
>>
>>330979080
Both are shit. If you absolutely want an mmo then go with wow. GW2 is pure nonsense. Horrible.
>>
>>330979080
>want to sink time
OP you are a fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1443676787370.jpg (120 KB, 731x401) Image search: [Google]
1443676787370.jpg
120 KB, 731x401
>>330979080
I used to play a lot of GW2 and then I decided to stop doing content that isn't fun just to get the reward. I ended up quitting about a week later.
>>
Either of these or ff14 will give you a warped sense of what the essence of an MMORPG is about, because they focus on gear treadmills to get people to continue to play rather than living worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MNFWhCw8dg

This is a short video explaining what's wrong with these games from the greatest of all-time raiders.
>>
>>330979080
GW2 is a nice casual mmo that has a pretty good community. There isn't all that much endgame unless you make goals for yourself, but leveling is enjoyable. things like jumping puzzles make it more fun.

WoW's experience has deteriorated over the years and isn't as enjoyable as it used to be, I'd give it a pass unless you have friends to play it with.
>>
WoW, the new expansion comes in a few months as well.
>>
>>330979080
Blade & Soul has a great story from the first few hours I've experienced.

GW2 offers probably the most interesting landscape -lore -story -progression, WoW is a safe bet but it certainly has less magic compared to Vanilla, I wouldn't pay to play that though, it's still subscription right?
>>
>>330979376
Yeah the game was designed as a social hub with the game play a boring second, which is somehow amazing considering they can design interesting areas yet fuck up so hard in layouts / challenge, purpose.
>>
>>330979080
If the choice is WoW or a WoW clone pick WoW.
Arenanet is a hive of SJWs who spent 3 years making an expansion that didn't add a new race, didn't up the level cap, was only a few more rectangles and the new class was Death Knights.
They've done everything they could since release to degrade the entire game on both a gameplay and graphical level.
>>
>>330979080
I haven't played GW2, but I can tell you that WoW isn't worth playing anymore. MoP was the last acceptable expansion.
There's especially little reason to resub/try WoW in a dead season of inter-expansion.
>>
Eso is also great it has good community and a very living world + the pvp is awesome
>>
File: vanilla wow.png (57 KB, 969x359) Image search: [Google]
vanilla wow.png
57 KB, 969x359
>>330979373
>>
>>330979858
I'll agree, that living story crap was bad but I think they got the negative feedback and toned it down for the expansion.

And no raising the level cap would be a stupid thing, the idea of masteries is fine. They should just make them less grindy is all. The new specializations were a good addition as well.

Expansion shouldn't have been as expensive though
>>
>>330979080
>WoW
>MMO
WoW is a singleplayer game with multiplayer modes, it isn't an mmo at all anymore
>>
MMOs are dead, wait for it to be a relevant genre again and try then
>>
Gw2 has fun pvp imho, but the pve content is weak once you gone through it all once. Then again it's a one time purchase so i think it's worth playing through once at least and do some pvp. Then you can leave it behind.

Never got i to wow, played through BC and then a bit once more when wod hit. Sure i played and had fun with a few buddies, but the game was never really fun to me, and i wanted to like it.

If you wanna invest time in something, try Black Desert. LOTs and lots of stuff to spend time on as well as nice graphics and fun combat/exploration.

If you got buddies anything can be fun though.
>>
>>330980363
What about Black Desert?
>>
>>330979080

Guildwars 2 is great, literally the only good MMO released in the last 10 years.
Give it a shot.

I played WoW for a year at release, no idea what it's like now.
>>
>>330979080
I like FFXIV. Can't say much about GW2, but the next WoW expansion comes soon. If it's your first MMO, go with whatever your friends are on. That's your best bet.
>>
>>330980617
Guildwars 2 is the most boring mmo i've played (including korean grinders)
>>
>>330979858
Nice attached picture created by a mouth breather who can't even spell Expansion. Like i'm going to take their word. I don't even see anything wrong with anything mentioned in that picture? Oh No, LESBIANS, Oh no animation tweaks and model alterations, THEY MADE THE GAME CHEAPER?!? Truly the game is dying.
>>330980245
I agree with that, the level cap is fine, upping the level cap as a gameplay term is just arbitrary and just adding more grind. GW1 had lv20 be the max so it mattered more about how you built yourself rather how much you leveled. GW2 went a similar route, and i like that Masteries go ontop of player levels show just how many masteries you've achieved, they are quite grindy though unfortunately.
>>
>>330979080
As someone who has bought GW2 on release, go for wow. Try to play with a friend.
>>
>>330980708
>THEY MADE THE GAME CHEAPER?!?
I would like to mention that GW1, an 11 years old game, has never gone F2P, not even now.
Make of that what you will.
>>
>>330980201
>in vanilla you actually had to CC
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>330979080
You can try GW2 for free.If you like it buy it, if not then move on
dunno about wow tho
>>
>>330980678

This. All MMO's are best played with friends
>>
>>330979373

GW2 has no treadmill...

It is an incredible selling point of the game for anyone who isn't NEET.

Progression is handled in other more interesting ways that don't invalidate old content.

Plus PvP is skill based. Stats are freely changed in the lobby from a range of options that result in the only skill based MMO PvP ever released.
No more grinding 10 billion hours for the stats to become competitive with the NEETs
>>
>>330980876
With wow you can level a char to 20 for free but there are other restrictions I think
>>
>>330979080
WoW
>>
>>330979080

GW2

It's free, and if you don't like it you don't have to play it.
>>
>>330980617
>I played WoW for a year at release, no idea what it's like now
1-100 in 2 days or 1 seconds with character boost
No need to do any quest after level 15
1 week at 100 to be gear ready for the heroic level of the raiding tier of the moment
3-4 weeks of heroic raiding to get geared for mythic
3/4 days per week of mythic raiding for 2-3 hours
When you aren't raiding you either play something else or farm mount/achievements, for golds and professions there is the garrison.
>>
>>330980705

You're entitled to that opinion.

Although, I can't imagine you aren't just lying about having played the game like 90% of the bandwagon faggots perpetuating a subculture of mindless idiocy on this board.
>>
>>330981019
>1 week at 100 to be gear ready for the heroic level of the raiding tier of the moment
That's always been the case ever since they get rid of raid attunements.
>>
>>330980910
I just started playing and no, lvl 20 max is the only restriction. You can even farm rep points if you want.
>>330980904
>GW2 has no treadmill...
kek, ascended gear and fractals aren't treadmills?
>>
get a guest pass for black desert
>>
>>330981049
I got it for free from a friend (He stopped after level 20) and I was still disappointed by it. It's really mind numbingly boring after a while and the raiding content is abysmal.
>>
>>330981101

>implying ascended gear is needed

>>330981137

Jesus fucking Christ, no, i's a Korean MMO that's B2P but designed entirely around being a shitty F2P game. You can't even see your own helmets in the game. The only way to do that is to buy a costume.

There is barely any content either in the form of weapons or armor. All the stuff you can get in the game you can see at character creation.
>>
>>330981101
>>>330980910
>I just started playing and no, lvl 20 max is the only restriction. You can even farm rep points if you want.

Are you stupid?

WoW Trial Restriction:
-Characters max level of 20
-Characters may not receive or send mail.
-Characters have a gold cap of 10 gold.
-Characters may not send whispers or form parties on their own, but may talk in /say to other trials.
-No access to battletag/realid services
>>
can someone explain to me how gear works in WoW? I joined a RPPVP server because I figured I wanted the old school gankfuckery ON because fuck yes, my problem is that I don't know how the game works, do you do raids for endgame gear to stomp people in pvp? do you do pvp arenas to get endgame gear to do it? what the fuck
>>
>>330980837
Hey I love GW1, but I'm also pretty sure noone's buying GW1 fresh of the presses today, they're not trying to keep it updated and relevant like they are GW2 with it's thread of story updates.
>>
>>330980854
Groups of 3 or 4 enemies were strong enough to kill the tank and fuck the group up so you had to use crowd control spells like mage polymorph to make the enemies managable. Tank didn't have a lot of multi-target options and you had to actually let the tank build threat on his targets before the damage dealers hit them or things would get chaotic fast.
>>
>>330981237
>I choose to use subpar gear, so it means it's not a treadmill!
You're a fucking drone and I say this as someone who has played GW1 for 4 thousand hours.
>>
>>330979080
WoW is dead and Gw2 is shit. The only kind of decent MMO around is FFXIV
>>
>>330981295

How to PvP gear.

Step 1: Grind your fucking eyes out doing Random Battlegrounds
Step 2: Purchase honor equipment.
Step 3: Once fully honor geared, start doing ranked gameplay in arenas/rbgs or other ways to acquire conquest.
Step 4: Buy Conquest gear.
Step 5: Sit at max gear level and do nothing because you don't have enough game knowledge to be competitive in arenas unless you have someone willing to teach you.
>>
>>330981101

Meh, ascended is a 5% increase over exotic, which is easily accessible.

Even then, half your ascended can be earned through login rewards.

The rest requires progression through crafting but otherwise playing the game however you like, so it doesn't feel like a grind, simply progression.

You earn Fractal attunement (agony resist) at a similar pace to which you progress in Fractal scales, so it doesn't feel like a grind.
>>
I'd avoid playing GW2 until next year or two maybe. A lot of the original Developers have left and the latest person to leave was the main Developer/Head of GW2.

The new Final Fantasy is a ton of fun when I use to play; couldn't compete in the end-game PvE stuff, had nether the time or skill.

WoW will always be WoW, right now it'd take you a while to get to cap with all the zones and questing and possibly even longer if you're on PvP Server. End Game can be fun but stressful especially with a dick guild
>>
>>330979080
No, if you want to play a good mmo you gotta wait till they invent a time machine. The ones currently out are absolute trash (yes even ffxiv, it's shit, you're all delusional as fuck). Wow is also the best example what blind consumerism causes, the game is absolutely horrible and legion won't fix it.
>>
>>330979080
neighter, ... gw2 is a story where for 2 weeks you get max lvl and the next few your eq.
Nice story.
Wow is a timehole ... good or bad its a timehole.
>>
>>330981295
Pve content for pve gear
Pvp content for pvp gear
Some pve content gives some pvp gear
>>
>>330981445
>you're grinding but I don't mind the grind so it's not a grind
>>
>>330981295
First you'll want to do things like Ashran or Battlegrounds to get enough honor to buy the starting (blue) pvp gear. Then you'll want to do rated arenas or rated battlegrounds with a guild to get the "good" epic (purple) gear and destroy absolutely everyone, you get conquest points doing that, good luck and peace.
>>
>>330981408
>WoW
>Dead

It has millions of players anon, look!

http://youtu.be/FHeSHT2ZDnU
>>
>>330979080
WoW has more content, you can sink your time more there.
>>
>>330981295
>WoW RPPVP
First of all, WoW is atrocious and world PvP don't exist anymore
Second, there is only ERP
Third, wow gear system is literally retard proofed
>>
>>330981505

>Playing the fucking content is a grind

There is no helping plebeians like yourself...

Enjoy being bitter for the sake of it, I'll be over here, gleefully enjoying a good game.
>>
File: rainbow eye_face.jpg (45 KB, 474x435) Image search: [Google]
rainbow eye_face.jpg
45 KB, 474x435
>>330981576
>mfw they stopped announcing sub numbers
>>
>>330981576
>not botting in BGs and farm honor points ez
git gud
>>
File: 4L_5bDWBY7S.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
4L_5bDWBY7S.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>330979080
Neither.

Choose the one with the giraffe waifus
>>
>>330981363

That 3-4% doesn't matter one bit. You can do all content in the game with exotics, which is what the devs designed the game around.
>>
>>330981049
i cant really say i've "played" it but i have tried it
leveled to 20, it was very boring, felt like running around and gaining levels
>>
>>330981619
>world PvP don't exist anymore

then why are there realms dedicated to it?
>>
File: ColinAlchemy.jpg (942 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ColinAlchemy.jpg
942 KB, 1920x1080
>Colin "I SWUNG IT AGAIN" Johanson left Arena Net

Is there ANYONE left of the old guard? Also, they seem to have slowed down content updates again, probably because they're split between live version, patches and expansion teams.
>>
>>330981847

>Theomocent

What kind of a faggot's name is that.
>>
File: no you piece of shit.gif (3 MB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
no you piece of shit.gif
3 MB, 560x315
>>330981847
>not actual giraffes
>>
File: 1447756638243.webm (3 MB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1447756638243.webm
3 MB, 700x500
>>330981965
>>
>>330981435
>Sit at max gear level and do nothing because you don't have enough game knowledge to be competitive in arenas unless you have someone willing to teach you.

lol I played GvG ranked in guild wars I think I'll do fine
>>
>>330981295
There isn't much ganking/world pvp going on since they introduced battlegrounds a decade ago. Even on PVP servers, players of the opposite faction usually just /wave and be on their way.
>>
>>330982260

So I should just join a high pop pve server and join the battleground when I feel like it?
>>
>>330982362
Yes, thats the best pvp WoW has to offer
>>
>>330981885
Thats a good question
With flying mounts and FTL levelling through LFD it's IMPOSSIBLE to find random world pvp anymore
>>
>>330982654

unless we are talking about edgy teens ganking on people that step out of safe zones
>>
>>330982723
Thats not random though
>>
>>330982362
Nah join a PvP server so you still have the option to gank players when you're really, really, REALLY bored.

But honestly, ganking is no longer that fun since they allowed players to roll both factions on PvP servers. Usually you'll meet some whiner that would hop on their character of the opposite faction and whisper you. It's not even entertaining RAGE you can feed off, it's lame shit like
>plz stop killing me, I'm just trying to level. thanks.

If you're very interested in organized PvP, try to scout the servers for PvP-focused guilds.
>>
>>330979080
Desist. Neither, fuck what are you thinking?
>>
>>330982782

See that's the problem, I'm hearing so many conflicting opinions on the matter that I'm getting confused, I realize it's a 10 year old game and so established that getting in is like walking on quicksand but I just don't want to be left out of endgame stuff, why can't everything be simple like lineage 2 where you can be killed anywhere by anyone and your gear is only obtained by raids, jesus christ it's all so confusing.
>>
>>330982915
Don't see what is so confusing. Basically, leveling is just leveling. It's one of those "games begin at endgame" types.

After that, you get stronger PvE gear by doing endgame PvE content OR stronger PvP gear by doing PvP content.
>>
>>330983076

ok, but if a realm is PVE focused, does that mean there is no PVP at all or can I still do it in some fashon? for example they pointed me to Silvermoon realm because it has high population and good progression but they also tell me there's next to none pvp guilds, I ask this because I know I'll have to commit to a realm and can't switch so easily, sorry.
>>
>>330982915
Whats more simple than:
>level 1-10 with quests
>go to Orgrimmar/Stormwind and sit in a corner
>spamming LFD until you hit lv 90
>go to Draenor
>complete the prologue questline and get your garrison
>sit in garrison
>spam LFD until lv 100
>go to Ashran
>spam Ashran until full item level 700/710
>proced to do Tanaan questline
>sit in Garrison, get 1000000000000k gold just by clicking on a table
>Raid HFC 3 days per week or spam BGs and Arenas until you get bored and quit
>if you don't get bored yet go solo old content for mounts and trasmogs
>>
>>330983152
You can do PvP in PvE servers
All you need to do is clicking on "Looking for Groups" button subesction "PvP" then you click on "Join Random" and wait
Done

In PvP server is the same
>>
>>330979080
both are sinking ships, but while WoW is a washed up has been, GW2 isn't even that and on top of being a failure to improve over what made the first GW mmo great it also has a nice steaming pile of social justice "progressiveness".

who has the frogposter screencap on GW2 post it, i can't find it.

also,

>but want to try sinking time into one.

unless you're 11yo or an immortal, don't waste your life on MMOs, this comes from a 10 year WoW veteran.
>>
>>330983152
PvE servers can still do organized PvP (battlegrounds and arenas) and some of them may have an odd PvP guild or two.
>>
>>330981295
>I joined a RPPVP server

For what possible reason? RP and open PVP just lead to butthurt on both sides.
>>
>>330983439

I don't know nigga it's my first time playing I just remember that it was fun to do open world pvp in lineage 2 lol
>>
>>330979080

>never played an mmo
>wants to play an mmo when the genre is dead

lol
>>
>>330983216
You need followers to get big loot on the table. You forgot:
>get inn/lounge, recruit one treasure hunters, do quests
>then click on table get infinite money
>>
>>330983514

I would rather play a dead genre than mobas thanks
>>
>>330983216
Literally my experience in WoD
>>
>>330983537
>>330983216
Is Garrison a viable source of gold now?
Can you get enough to pay for the sub with it?
>>
>>330979080
honestly play nostalrius
>>
>>330983696

lmao just sell transmog to RP servers
>>
>>330983696
Only one garrison? No
Multiple garrisons on your account? Infinite money
Remember to do solo cata 25man hc raids for ~8k gold per character every reset
>>
File: 1427582998902.jpg (21 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
1427582998902.jpg
21 KB, 217x320
>tfw my first MMO was GW2
>tfw i had fun but in the end i was so fucking frustrated with the game the community that all the fun i had served for nothing
>tfw i wasted REAL money on this game (buying gold)

Fucking kill me.
>>
>>330983307
>>330983342

Ok thanks, one last thing: faction balance

does it change anything at all or does it limit something? I tend to like alliance species more personally so I guess I will join an alliance realm, just wondering what happens if I make a horde character in a such unbalanced realm?
>>
>>330983864
That sounds like a second job, and I already have a full-time one. I guess WoW has no power over me anymore.
>>
>>330983864
Has wowtoken prices stabilized or are they ever-increasing?
>>
>>330983905
>buying gold
>BUYING GOLD

jesus FUCKING christ dude I hope you are kidding
>>
>>330981435
You forget
Step 1.1
Your faction can not win in random BG's. Consider suicide or changing battlegroups. Pay up, goy.
Step 1.2
Go Ashran. Get stomped because the enemies have a Russian premade and your team doesn't feel like trying
Step 1.3
Queue up to join for other faction.
Step 1.4
Die of old age
>>
>>330983957
>MMO economy
>stabilized
You're not serious, are you?
>>
>>330979080

You should go outside and stop playing 'mmo's' in 2016.
>>
>>330983949
>a second job
WoD come a free lv 90 boost
If you preorder Legion you get a free lv 100 boost which also come with a lv 3 garrison
In ~1 month playing very casually you can have atleast 3-4 gold making ready Garrisons, at that point you just really need to log and click on a table
Soloing all Cata raids at 100 take 30-60 minutes per character
>>
>>330983696
Not anymore. They nerfed the gold by alot.
>>
>>330984325
Get some treasure hunters and build a fleet
>>
>>330983997
No, and there was nothing i could do, gold on this game is fucking hard to get and i was addicted.
>>
>>330984583

>he got addicted to gw2

for the love of christ I don't know if I want to hug you or punch you, quit MMOs immediately they are not for you in the slightest, if you ever touch something like WoW that has a million bells and whistles attached to its carrot on a stick you will kill yourself by playing 48 hours straight
>>
>>330979080
FUCKING SAVE ME

I'm just about to pre order Legion. The withdraw is too much.
Someone give me facts to show me I'm making a mistake. I only played 1 month of WoD but fuuuuck, this itch is too much
>>
>>330979487
>Plays for the story
>>
File: 1429408142208.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1429408142208.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>>330984691
Escapism is my life anon.
>>
Guild Wars 2 is one of the biggest wasted potentials in vidya history
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.