[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw thanks to fags like Egoraptor and AIDS Moby from PreRec
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 1319889540966.jpg (73 KB, 500x462) Image search: [Google]
1319889540966.jpg
73 KB, 500x462
>tfw thanks to fags like Egoraptor and AIDS Moby from PreRec people think it's cool to hate on classic Sonic

Seriously fuck the haters! Classic Sonic, the OG Sonic is and always be one of the greatest game series of all time.
>>
>>330972495
It's cool to hate things.
Sonic is cool.
Therefore Sonic is cool to hate
>>
>>330972757
Egoraptor has a weird love/hate relationship with Sonic. That motherfucker knows more about him than someone who hates Sonic should.

The fags of PreRec are fucking losers. Like they were sucking hard at Sonic and instead of saying "oh geez we suck at this we better learn how to play better" they went and made up BS reasons about the game being bad not them.
>>
>>330972495
>>330972981
His name is Arin the E-celeb cancer
>>
File: 1450239765026.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1450239765026.png
440 KB, 645x1260
>when he octochinned losers on youtube with a camera can change an entire generations opinion on something

Humans are so retarded
>>
File: 1450648284353.jpg (34 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
1450648284353.jpg
34 KB, 489x479
>caring someone hates classic Sonic

Not fan of Sonic but if people hate something because some youtube celeb dickmuncher they propably didn't care for sonic in first place.

But why you should care if "some people" hates you favourite game?
>>
test
>>
>>330972495
classic sonic were not good games period. you can't have camera centered on the player character in a game about going fast
>>
>>330972495
People still say that all Sonic games make you play as the rest of the cast and have stories, so it's obvious that they don't even play the games they bitch about.

Plus Nintendo fans from those days are still salty, so they're using the media fervor against sonic to retroactively win playground arguments.

It's pathetic.

also >>330972757
>>
>>330972981

rich evans is cool, he's just clueless and AVGN levels of not being very good at games but still being interested in them.

AIDSMoby is a dickhead who thinks he knows shit and knows he's the lease popular person on the show so he tries to play things up to the internet hordes for points
>>
>>330972495
Classic Sonic sold itself on going fast and then the level design completely fucked up your speed by throwing enemies and obstacles at you constantly.

All they had to do in order to fix this was pull the camera out so people could actually see what was ahead of them.
>>
>>330981005
or move sonic over to the left of the screen
>>
>>330981005

I really don't understand this criticism. I played these games since I 1992 and four year old me didn't have a single issue with the camera placement.

Honestly, I legit think people playing this have to be retarded in some form or have some sort of gaming ego that they walk into a game and expect to be great at it right off.

At any rate, Sonic CD does play with the camera at cruising speed by shifting it over the right. It's a nice feature, but the classic Sonics don't go fast enough that you absolutely need this.

Now, if we're talking Advance or Rush series, THAT is an entirely different story.
>>
>>330982030
>they walk into a game and expect to be great at it right off.
No, I walk into Sonic, a game which was sold to me based on how fast he was, and expect to go fast.

I do not go fast. I get bombarded with obstacles that I can't see coming and my speed is completely fucked up as a result. The only way to achieve that speed is to go autism mode and constantly replay the levels until I know them well enough to simply KNOW when an obstacle is coming.

And don't even get me started on the autoscrollers, mazes and puzzle-platforming that the later stages pull. It DELIBERATELY kills your momentum in a game that was marketed as being super fast. That's Sonic's thing.
He's the fastest thing alive.
Unless you're playing the games.

To date Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure are the only Sonic games I've genuinely enjoyed playing.
>>
>>330982384
git gud
>>
>>330982030

It's literally only come up in the last year or so.

>>330982384
>play shooter to shoot people
>get shot back

OH MY GOD HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL PEOPLE IF I KEEP GETTING KILLED?!
>>
>>330982384
>The only way to achieve that speed is to go autism mode and constantly replay the levels until I know them well enough to simply KNOW when an obstacle is coming.

have you ever played a game made before 2012
>>
>>330978616
>in a game about going fast

OH BOY HERE WE GO
>>
File: 1377860819118.png (75 KB, 219x186) Image search: [Google]
1377860819118.png
75 KB, 219x186
>>330983079
That's not an equivalent scenario and you know it.
Throwing shit at the player that they cannot reasonably react to is not good game design.

As I said, the older Sonics could have fixed this, so easily. Just pull the camera back, let me see more of the field.
It's that easy.

As it stands, when I pick up speed, enemies, spikes and walls fly in from off-screen at a moment's notice. Even bullet hells and rhythm games aren't so demanding of the player's reflexes.

>>330983129
Yes.
Hundreds, in fact. A wide majority of the games I've played.
>>
>>330983196
sonic's sole character trait is literally about going fast
>>
>>330983301
Thats what his speed is a trait not the fucking point of the game. Its just a platformer where you can go really fast.

If you want to just go fast play the modern games. Platforming takes a backseat.
>>
>>330983620
not only is it not a platformer that takes advantage of sonic = fast, it's also not a very good platformer period
>>
Sonic was never that great imo.

I played it when I was a kid, thought running really fast was really cool, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Mario was simply just a more quality franchise.
>>
>>330983796
Opinions, I would say get better but you wouldn't bother.

Metal slug was even more brutal for first time players and yet that game was beloved. Many older games shared the same "get fucked till you git gud" theme. Even then sonic was easy as FUCK and on the second playthrough of any stage you can see most of the traps coupled with the forgiving ring mechanic this game is literally babby tier.

>>330983885
The crazy thing is I found more MUCH more difficult than sonic and people love to give it shit. SMB3 was a hell of a ride the first time I played it.
>>
>>330972495

Sonic was ok back in the day.

But on anything above Genesis it's a shit series that no longer makes sense EXCEPT for the Dream cast games which were pure awesome.

3D sonic can make more sense than 2D sonic though if speed is your goal when completing a mission.
>>
>>330983620
>his speed is a trait not the fucking point of the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jteBXOvjVkw
>Going fast is cool, going slow is not.
>You and Sonic speed through
>Once you start playing Sonic the Hedgehog, everything else seems a little bit slow.
>Wow, Sonic's fast too!
>The ultimate video game: Sonic the Hedgehog. SPEED.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3xZUSr2JAM
>They say he's incredibly fast.

Sonic's ENTIRE marketing campaign was centered around his speed and his attitude.
It was his defining trait as a character and a game, and it was part of the Genesis's marketing as well. The Genesis was so powerful it could play games as fast as Sonic! It was the blast processing that could make it happen!
>>
>>330982384

Or, you know, you tread confidently but carefully.

Let me ask you this. Would you run around in real life like a lemming then be pissed when you either slam into an object or a car makes roadkill out of you because you didn't see the crosswalk light turn red?

It's basically the same logic. You can go fast pretty easily, and there isn't even much of a learning curve. It's not like you're playing MGR Revengeance in Revengenace Mode. You get hit, dust yourself off, keep going, but exercise caution.

The counterargument now is if these games were all about fast, then you would be in here bitching about how the games are too linear and a real hold right to win pile of shit.

Honestly, it comes down to stop playing like a single brain-celled organism. Part of the joy is speed is a reward for doing well, and the skill ceiling of these games isn't particularly high whatsoever. The fact you're complaining about this shows either you're impatient, a perfectionist/egoist, or just hated the series to begin with but gave it a shot regardless and still want to put a negative slant on it.
>>
File: game-boy-realistic-graphics.jpg (163 KB, 640x832) Image search: [Google]
game-boy-realistic-graphics.jpg
163 KB, 640x832
>>330984124
>marketing campaign
>relating to actual gameplay in any way

Im sure sure you actually belive in the ""REAL MILITARY ACTION! ACCURATE RECOIL MECHANICS" shit they feed you too. This was common in the 90s.
>>
>>330986565
Also, I cannot remember a single instance where your reaction time is tested as a trigger reflex in those games, or where you're running along and suddenly SPIKES.

The only times I can recall silly bullshit in the older games are:

>Caterpillar enemies in Sonic 1 with weird hit boxes
>The seahorses in Oil Ocean sniping you if you're not going fast enough
>CNZ Barrel, if only because it tests you on a mechanic you're not immediately aware of, and it's the only time in the game it happens
>Metropolis Zone
>Probably those spiked horizontal bars in Mystic Cave

...and that's about it. Advance Series and Rush are FAR dirtier in the shit they pull on the player where the complaints of blind sided hits are much more prevalent.
>>
>>330987008
wow is this someone actually making sense?

I was just saying classic sonic was easy as fuck. But dimps sonic had some dirty shit like sky canyon and altitude limit god those were a pain but yet all niggas complain about is running into spikes in GHZ.
>>
File: 1457665644087.png (710 KB, 1057x1129) Image search: [Google]
1457665644087.png
710 KB, 1057x1129
Sonic's speed is a defining trait, but it's not just handed out to you. You need to understand the design language and know how to ROLL (all you do is press down while moving, I know it may be hard for some of you to understand) and more than half of your issues are instantly solved, instead though, idiots seem to think that all you need to do is hold right to win and maybe jump a few times. And even when the game does fall short in indicating to you an obstacle ahead, the ring system is designed to compensate for it.

There's literally no reason to say those games are bad - besides being awful at understanding basic concepts (if you have a disability, sorry, but then again half of the Sonic fanbase is autistic anyway so what's your excuse?) or having the patience of a 2 year old.

git gud
>>
File: 1458056389939.gif (839 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458056389939.gif
839 KB, 500x500
>>330989985
it's not about patience you moron

it's about not being able to see what's ahead of you in time, should you wish to go fast xddd

>You need to understand the design language and know how to ROLL
>git gud
Git gud? You want people to get better at classic Sonic games? How so? By trial and error?

Classic Sonic's concept is shit in this day and age, but back then it was aight.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.