[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSVR will technically look better than Occulus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Playstation_VR_3738t782bf.jpg (69 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Playstation_VR_3738t782bf.jpg
69 KB, 1200x675
PSVR has an RGB pixel layout which is a huge factor, the Rift uses a crappy pentile display so even though its higher resolution it has less subpixels which is what produces the screendoor effect.

The Sony display will look better because of the increased amount of subpixels and the fact that they are aligned in a grid instead of the weird stitch pattern of pentile.

The display the Rift has not only is pentile, but has horrid interpixel gaps. The one Sony is using has a traditional pixel layout AND very tiny pixel gaps that almost eliminate the screendoor entirely..

Now because Sony has lots of experience with optics and are also using tricks like reprojection as well as an RGB display, it looks like it actually has better fidelity than Oculus and Vive. No screen door effect + reasonable price = Sony is going to be the winner in the VR and console wars.
>>
VR is shit anyways, fuck off.
>>
lmao
>>
pixel layout is below screen resolution on performance characteristic tiers
>>
>>330957068
>>330957191
Epic shitposts.
>>
>>330957889
Ironic coming from a sonygger who knows nothing of technology.
>>
Yo OP for what it's worth, I agree with you. I fucking hate pentile and I've been railing that shit for years on every forum I've ever posted on. It's the biggest example of fucking deception and outright lying in any industry ever. A pixel is literally defined as 3 subpixels: 1 red 1 green and 1 blue. Every pixel on a pentile panel only has 2 of those. It's cheating and deceiving people just so they can print a higher number on the box when they make the next flavor of phone for the month. It's retarded.
>>
>>330956580
To get VR workable framerates you're going to need to greatly reduce asset complexity on the PS4 for titles that can already barely run at 30fps.

That is the thing that is going to bury PSVR.
HTH
>>
>>330956580
Is this coming out this year? Might honestly get this.
>>
>>330958089
>>330956580
A lot of what OP says is right but we really don't know if the higher res of the Oculus trumps the higher sub-pixel of PSVR. Most people that have tried all of them say that Oculus is sharper and really it makes sense.

Our eyes see luma resolution far more than chroma resolution. It's the same reason why Blu-rays encode and TVs for the most part output only in 4:2:2 with half the chroma resolution. The Rift has a higher luma resolution with more green sub-pixels which is also the color we're most sensitive to.
>>
>>330958206
PSVR has additional hardware inside it that will allow the games to run at higher FPS's.
>>
>>330956580
> are also using tricks like reprojection

You know that Vive/Rift has the same ability? They just don't use it because they push for NATIVE 90HZ.

PSVR has clearer images, and potential 120hz. Occulus/Vive beats it at everything because it has better native framerate, better motion controls, better resolution, higher field of vision, etc.

Sony has already admit it that Occulus will have a better experience.
>>
>>330959321
As someone who's actually used various headsets, no I can assure you a 1920x1080 RGB display is much sharper than a 2160x1200 pentile. You have to jump up to 2560x1440 pentile for it to beat 1920x1080 RGB. You can get away with that shit for phones since no one can see the pixels with their naked eyes anyway. But in VR the difference between say red and green, is huge. You have text that's pure green and it's much more defined. But solid red or blue text? Literal dots with black gaps.

I can't wait for pentile to die.
>>
We all knew that. PSVR is true actual gaming machine. The Rift is a facebook machine.
>>
I cant tell if I'm posting in a troll thread or not
>>
>>330962062
How often are you going to see red or blue text though? I'm sure in some situations PSVR will win out but given what many others have said Oculus is still sharper overall. Again, luma resolution is still the defining factor.

Curious though, did you actually try PSVR or was is just various Cardboard setups? The Rift is still sharper than GearVR despite being lower res. I've seen that myself. Resolution isn't everything either so your statement that you need 1440 pentile to beat 1080 RGB doesn't float either.
>>
Will this even work on PC?
>>
>>330962515
Not by Sony but there might be people willing to add support given the price.
>>
>>330962225

That's because you are a retard.

>>330962515
Yes.
>>
File: 23590238523905.jpg (30 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
23590238523905.jpg
30 KB, 480x480
>>330962225
You're in a Sony marketer thread, where they pretend their toy is competitive with PC HMDs.
>>
>>330958206
another fuckwit spewing his hateboner fantasies. Look man, there are videos out there of PSVR games being played in real time. No matter how much you say EVE Valkyrie looks like shit, or RIGS or any other PSVR game, they aren't unplayable. Graphics are good enough. Most PS4 players don't care if their MGS5 version has less rendering distance or foliage or whatever else, they are perfectly happy with it.

Even if all VR games looked like previous-gen (which they don't) I'd be fine with it, as I've played plenty of 7th gen games and I'm alive. I go back to MechCommander and Mechwarrior3 once every year and have fun replaying the campaign. Just this year I replayed Dragon'sDogma on PC, which still looks like shit even if it performs better.

Let's stop pretending PSVR's graphical fidelity is preventing anyone from playing it. I don't see anyone bitching about 3DS's games en masse just because they look like shit, and run at 240p. Etrian Odyssey and Monster hunter are no less fun because of it.

>That is the thing that is going to bury PSVR.
You can say the exact same thing about PS4 vs high-end PC gaming. PC can look 5x better and yet the PS4 is close to 40million units now. Most people don't care for the highest graphical fidelity possible, just what's affordabe enough and plug&play.
>>
>>330958389
yes, in october
>>
>Anti-VRfags talking about HURR TECH DEMOS UNPLAYABLE GAMES DURR

Play pretty much any first-person driving/piloting game or sim using a Rift or Vive. Easily 4.22X better
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.