[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it seem like games today are going in a really bad direction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1365813420927.jpg (171 KB, 1058x727) Image search: [Google]
1365813420927.jpg
171 KB, 1058x727
Does it seem like games today are going in a really bad direction? It's clear that people are craving fair and fun PvP games or quality farming games with great depth and customization yet they keep releasing open world garbage where you spend 2/3 of your time walking or doing mindless shit.
>>
File: 1456775522505.jpg (81 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1456775522505.jpg
81 KB, 1280x960
>>330942640
Things have been going terribly for years, I've just invested too much time to start over from scratch with a new hobby.
>>
>>330942640
They're trying to appeal to normies

Either way, speak for yourself. I crave for story heavy adventure games that play like Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Zero's Escape, Hotel Dusk, etc. Fire Emblem gets a free pass too. And I also like rhythm games like Osu!, Rhythm Heaven, Rhythm Thief, etc.

Anything else doesn't click me because they usually include repetitive gameplay to rack up playtime (while the games I mentioned above don't do that)
>>
>>330942640

You are getting old. You are becoming irrelevant. Game companies want to market to a younger crowd. Your sun is setting and what you consider good isn't in style any more. Get use to getting old. Get use to becoming irrelevant. Stop bitching. Stop being a faggot OP.
>>
>>330943380
But I'm 21 and the genres I mentioned contain the vast majority of players and interest in gaming.
>>
>>330942640
Is this anime good ?

I heard this chick is just a crazy bitch ?
>>
Games during the NES and SNES era really were better. They didn't hold your hand all the time, no long boring unnecessary tutorials, more cryptic stuff, they required that you actually use your brain and had better reaction times. Beating a game was a big project. You'd often have to sit down, write things down / keep notes, and plan out how you're going to beat a game.

Modern games are basically the opposite of all this. They give these big long tutorials to explain simple game mechanics which the player would have discovered on their own just by pressing every button on the controller anyway. They're as easy as possible on the hardest mode, to ensure the player feels faux-gratification and walks away from the game with a positive experience. They want to make sure they buy the sequel, so they get the player feeling good about themselves. Games are as short and as easy as possible to ensure that every braindead idiot can beat it. Dying in the game is considered bad game design now, and not a fault with the player.
>>
>>330942640
Yuno did nothing wrong
>>
>>330944538
>Becoming a god
>Breaking into another timeline just because you don't want your lover to die
>Attempting to repeat it to ad infinitum
>Not wrong
She's cute but she's a fucking psychopath
>>
>>330944430
Neither of the designs you mentioned are good. There's no need to make games "hard" by simply deciding to not give information making them take longer to complete for no reason. There's also room to leave aspects of the game a mystery to reward curiosity or add an element of surprise.

I'm sure you know how people on here keep insisting the Souls series isn't hard because it's just trial and error. There's a balance that needs to be struck between hand holding and souls tier deaths.
>>
>>330942640
>It's clear that people are craving fair and fun PvP games
Just saying, I mostly play singleplayer, and nothing makes me sadder than when they buff or nerf something because of PvP, that's why I play most games patchless unless there are very bad bugs.
>>
Just accept the death of video games anon. Makes it easier to live.
>>
>>330944538
Minene is best girl
>>
>>330944538
Entry level yandere
Still a cool one.
>>
>>330945164
What are other yanderes?
>>
File: chiyo_wha.jpg (18 KB, 193x255) Image search: [Google]
chiyo_wha.jpg
18 KB, 193x255
>>330942640
>farming games
>>
>>330944957
Souls is actually a great example of NES/SNES era and is useful to compare what is worthy and not worthy carrying over from it.
For instance, there's no map, like most older games, and it greatly benefits from it and shows how objective markers are pointless.

However, just like older games, it doesn't allow you to change the controller scheme outside of PC and maintains shitty mechanics that have no reason to exist (durability, for instance).

It's such a great example and guidebook, I only wish other devs would observe and adapt like it does, because From surely has no balls to deviate enough.

>>330945328
Just fucking google it man, it's not that hard, even /d/ has threads on it. Also, as their pastebin shows, Tvtropes is cancer but would likely link you a lot.
>>
>>330944957
>There's no need to make games "hard" by simply deciding to not give information making them take longer to complete for no reason.
>no reason
Look at games like Super Metroid, the whole game is based on exploration. A game like that would never exist now, because people would complain about it and consider it bad game design, because it's not a straight, easy, boring, linear line right to the end of the game.

Making them longer to complete, means more content in the game to explore. Not filler content like what we see with these shitty open world games. Not just big open fields where you hold the stick forward. Actual exploration, items and secrets to find, enemies to fight, etc.

Also, the goal is not necessarily to make a "hard" game, it's to make a game filled with content and variety too. You're not allowed to have those anymore because games are $60 but only 3 hours long.
>I'm sure you know how people on here keep insisting the Souls series isn't hard because it's just trial and error. There's a balance that needs to be struck between hand holding and souls tier deaths.
The only reason they think it's "artificial difficulty" is because they haven't mastered the combat system. Once you can juggle all the combat concepts you need to keep in mind successfully, it's not a matter of "trial and error".

That's the real reason people hate Dark Souls. It has a certain art to it, you aren't just instantly good at it, and it's a non-linear game. It's not just an easy, boring straight line right to the end. So people do the typical thing of blaming the game and not their own shitty selves. We're only allowed to have a game like that once every 5 years or so now.
>>
>>330942640
Nice nostalgia bro. Aren't you aware that things in the CURRENT DATE are ~always~ better than in the past? Your world is dying "bro" and we're all the better for it.
>>
>>330946132
This. It's the current year. Get with the time desu senpai
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.