[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a thread of games that aged well
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: 1458007618909.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458007618909.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Can we get a thread of games that aged well
>>
File: custersrevenge.jpg (33 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
custersrevenge.jpg
33 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: This-is-the-Doom.png (2 MB, 3194x1436) Image search: [Google]
This-is-the-Doom.png
2 MB, 3194x1436
>>330889269
first you gonna have to clarify if you only mean visually, gameplay-wise, or as in a whole package?
Also how do you want to base the opinions on the idea of how well they fit to modern "standards", no matter how shit they might be?

Anyway, DOOM's still great fun and IMO nice to also look at after all these years.
>>
>>330889658
REDDIT!!!!
>>
>>330889954
yeah, you clearly belong there.
>>
>>330890419
Me: Recommend a game that has aged well
Some Faggot:OMG, Too many variables; What could he mean?

Doom has aged shit gameplay wise and the only way to play it today is with mouse look
>>
>>330889269
How old does a game need to be to get considered as "aged"?
Would Titan Quest count, for instance? It's only 10 years old. The gameplay was never exceptional to begin with, but the looks are still pretty good.

Unreal was great fun.

>>330891385
Are you that desperate for (You)s?
>>
>>330891385
>OMG, Too many variables; What could he mean?
Yeah, because nowadays everyone's view on what that fucking sentence means seems to differ quite a bit. Some are pure graphix-fags who can't deal with visible pixels and couple-hundred polygon 3D models, while some simply can't get into anything that does not utilize Cowadooteh/Asscreed/etc control scheme. Because of this, I've seen SH games get tons of flak, for the controls alone.

>Doom has aged shit gameplay wise and the only way to play it today is with mouse look
Wrong, you underaged newfag.
The mouse-look was already there in 1993, and if you NEED to use Y-axis aiming, you really are the prime example of HALO generation.
>>
File: sh1_screen_19.jpg (56 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sh1_screen_19.jpg
56 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>330891951
>if you NEED to use Y-axis aiming
As opposed to what, Looking dead ahead at all times, Turning with a keyboard is fucking archaic, Who wants tank controls in an FPS where you play as a man?
>>
File: Doom glitch.gif (974 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Doom glitch.gif
974 KB, 750x600
>>330892403
>As opposed to what, Looking dead ahead at all times,
Yes. Because, you know, it works, and the game was designed like that.

>Turning with a keyboard is fucking archaic,
I still play with KB-only, but you DO know that mouse-turning's been a thing since Wolfenstein 3D, 1992 ?

>Who wants tank controls in an FPS where you play as a man?
because niggas can't into strafing using ALT. Top, fucking, kek!

seriously son, lrn2/keybinds.
>>
>>330892718
Game genres get improvements and are made better for it
>That's fucking gay the old ways are the best
I bet you still play MUDs
>>
>>330893282
>Game genres get improvements and are made better for it
Usually, but some changes are not for the better.
Also along the years, several sub-genres are created. Doom and a modern Cowadooteh pretty much have only one thing in common these days: you shoot baddies with guns. The tempo, design and focus of the whole design in general, are miles apart.

Just because some older games were limited by the tech or know-how at the time does not make them instantly inferior. The example of FO3/nv/4 kids bashing FO1 and 2 is a good example of a huge generation gap.
>>
>>330893282
>I bet you still play MUDs
the what now?
>>
File: Waukeen's_Promenade.jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Waukeen's_Promenade.jpg
109 KB, 800x600
>>330889269
>>
File: doomdrk.gif (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
doomdrk.gif
4 KB, 256x192
Games don't age.
>>
File: Minecraft_Win10_Beta_-10.png (729 KB, 1000x533) Image search: [Google]
Minecraft_Win10_Beta_-10.png
729 KB, 1000x533
>>
Most games that age well were ones with great gameplay or okay gameplay with great plots/storylines. Anything that relied heavily on graphics to sell in the day generally did not age well (ie most FPS'). Also games that were totally surpassed by sequels are usually not worth returning to.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.