[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ is there any games out there that let you play in a cyberpunk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5
File: cyberpunk-city-30036-1920x1080.jpg (940 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk-city-30036-1920x1080.jpg
940 KB, 1920x1080
/v/ is there any games out there that let you play in a cyberpunk cityscape like this?

Im not a weeb I swear.
>>
>>330873939
wait for cyberpunk game weeb
>>
Frozen Synapse 2 will be happening soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycct_blsuYk
>>
>>330874007
You make no sense faggot.
>>
>>330874175
http://cyberpunk.net/
>>
Do you even know what weeb means, OP? Because Cyberpunk started as a Western thing.
>>
>>330874427
Japan elevated it the genre tbrh

Their society reflects better now than the West could in another 50 years.
>>
>>330874427
Yeah but it was heavily influenced by Japan in the 80's.
>>
Just wait for cyberpunk
>>
>>330874545
It featured Japan heavily for political and economic reasons, not because it was trying to be kawaii.

>>330874530
>Japan elevated it the genre tbrh

This guy's a fucking weeb, though.
>implying anime is better than Phillip K Dick and Gibson
>>
>>330874530
>>330874545
fuck off weebs, japan can go suck an atomic dick.
>>
>>330873939
Just wait for Prey 2.
>>
>>330874545

Genre novelists invented it and then Bladerunner visualized it. Everything Japan ever did was just reinterpretations of Bladerunner. Japan didn't perfect shit.
>>
God damnit. Cyberpunk 2077 isnt going to come out until 2021. I guess ill just settle for Deus Ex
>>
Scrapland for something remotely similar, if only much sillier, still was a fun game when I played it. Also deus ex but it's not that far in the future as your pic.
I'm pretty sure there were some shit mmos with cyberpunk settings but well, they're shit.
Also "new york race".
>>
What was the name of that cyberpunk bartending game that was meant to come out recently?
>>
>>330875563
>>implying anime is better than Phillip K Dick and Gibson

>GITS( and i dont even like GITS)
>Blame
>Texhnolyze
>>
>>330876678

Not him, but...
Never saw the other 2, but Ghost in the Shell is strictly worse then Gibson in basically every conceivable way. What of Gibson have you read, and be honest.
>>
>>330876886
read a little Neuromancer, wasnt that impressed
>>
E.Y.E.
>>
>>330874007
>>330875479
its called cyberpunk 2077 you fucking faggots
>>
>>330876886

Come on now, anime pros like that faggot don't read """""inferior""""" western books, anon.
>>
>>330876968
Nigga it's a book you read it to the end then reflect on it and decided weather you like it or not. Besides Neuromancer is shit, Mona Lisa overdrive is ace
>>
>>330876968

I've read most of Gibson's work, and seen GITS 1/2 and Arise and practically everything about Gibson is more visceral and punchy then GITS and in which the Major spends a lot of time lamenting her lost humanity. Compare this to Molly who totally embraces being a cyborg freak while briefly touching on the Major's concerns and being more flushed out and more interesting.

The peripheral characters in GITS are also boring as fuck, and the only character I ever enjoyed was Batou and he was a straight man.

Also, please read the book before you try to convince someone that the material is worst than something you prefer. It makes you look like an idiot.
>>
Dreamfall Chapters actually has a pretty nice environment if it wasn't so linear and closed off
>>
>>330877347
I probably will but it was years ago, just saying if we're going to talk about visualizing cyberpunk then GITS did a better job, Neuromancer felt more like a cartoon.
>>
>>330873939
hard reset. It's shit but it kinda reminds of your pic
>>
try hard reset and deus ex human revolution
>>
>>330877365

Japan have done better work than the west in visual mediums in the cyberpunk genre
>>
>>330877950
the west has Deus Ex, EYE and Blade Runner, but thats about it.

Kinda dissapointed nobody has seen Texhnolyze ITT
>>
File: SR (1).jpg (621 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SR (1).jpg
621 KB, 1920x1080
>>330873939
Satellite Reign is bretty good.
>>
>>330878507

The gameplay isn't, though.
>>
>>330874530

>Japan elevated it the genre tbrh

Thats a funny way of spelling William Gibson
>>
>>330878630
Why? I really liked it. The issue is, it's not well-optimized and has some nasty bugs that haven't been fixed.
>>
>>330878660
If I ever get remotely successful at anything I should go under an country name alias so every time someone mentions my achievements it confuses people.
>Uganda is really doing some interesting work in the VR horror movie genre
>Wait wat?
>>
>>330878507
that was fun as fuck tbqh. Fuck all story thought but whatever
>>
>>330874530
If you're implying that Japanese writers launched Cyberpunk to a level that western writers couldn't you're dead wrong

If you're implying that Cyberpunk was heavily influenced by Japan and its society, than yeah, spot on.
>>
>>330878841
autismo pls
>>
>>330873939
Snatcher. Came out in the 80's but still has an excellent cyberfunk feel. Also made by Kojima before he got trapped into Metal Gear.
>>
>>330873939
you posted my wallpaper
>>
>>330876968
It gets good after a while when AI starts to wreck people and "help" out MC. You can definitely see where Dedalus, Icarus and Helios from DE came from.

As far as this thread I'm not a huge fan of cyberpunk unless it's toned down like in Deus Ex. More cyber and less punk I guess. Shadowrun setting is too much for me for example.
>>
>>330878909
Japan developed it in far more interesting directions. If the only author you can cite is Gibson then obviously the West is slacking in the writing department.

At the end of the day cyberpunk is just an aesthetic, take any standard sci-fi setting, go into a low-income neighborhood and you have cyberpunk
>>
>>330873939
Blade Runner detective game from 90s. Graphics are shit but it's a nice game and first game where NPCs were doing shit on their own (very nice that game with it's theme improved AI) and you could start the game as a replicant or human, you wouldn't know at the start.
>>
>>330878909

>caring about the writing

The visuals are more important to me. Which Japan does better. I have gb's of just cyberpunk art. It doesn't have a story it just looks amazing.

The animation Japan produces for the genre is better than anything done elsewhere. Besides, most concepts and themes in cyberpunk are just retreads of the same shit. Its mostly cliches now, so who cares? Japan has the aesthetics down.
>>
>>330879210
>Blade Runner detective game from 90s
That game is fantastic.
>>
>>330879080
Thats what I'm saying, I prefer more toned stuff like Deus Ex and Texhnolyze, or else something more uniquely stylized like Blame and EYE. GITS was a very nice aesthetic experience but as mentioned before its story is extremely lacking - its plot is not something I ever tried to argue for.

Wacky shit like Gibson is just eh for me, I can appreciate it as the "prototype" for the genre but I'm not going to pretend its the be all end all. But who knows, maybe my opinion will change on the re-read, I just never felt compelled to pick it up again.
>>
File: 1456242247568.jpg (32 KB, 520x416) Image search: [Google]
1456242247568.jpg
32 KB, 520x416
>>330879237
It's funny you dismiss the writing as unimportant and then go on to write a bunch of unimportant nonsense.
>>
>>330879489
He's very right in saying most "core" cyberpunk stuff is just re-treads of the same shit.

At this point it really is nothing but an aesthetic.
>>
>>330878691

It's probably just me, but I don't know how the hell to play other than left click on bad guys til the never-ending horde grinds my men down.
>>
>>330877950

It's all retreads of Bladerunner with nailed the aesthetic first, and still holds up.
>>
>>330879237

>Not caring about the writing of what started as a literary movement

I fucking hate weeaboos so goddamned much

>>330879585
>issues such as man's relationship with technology, globalism, and unfettered capitalism
>"lol, gaaaay! I just like the neon lights"

Help me god, take me from this fucking mortal coil
>>
>>330879806
>>issues such as man's relationship with technology, globalism, and unfettered capitalism
literally standard sci-fi
>>
I'd like to see a cyberpunk souls game
>>
>>330879915
theres one in the works by the guys who did that other Souls knockoff

its going to be wack as fuck because >lol lazer swords

instead of actual guns
>>
>>330879806

>implying I think its "gay"

Its just a rehash of the same shit we've seen a hundred times before.
>>
>>330879806

>it started as this thing therefore that's the be all and end all of the genre

No.
>>
File: laughingagamemnon.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
laughingagamemnon.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>330879092
>At the end of the day cyberpunk is just an aesthetic, take any standard sci-fi setting, go into a low-income neighborhood and you have cyberpunk

Gonna have to disagree with you there. I take it as a form of science fiction that rejects the Utopian views of older works, and instead argues for the negative effects technological progress as brought. Form that, it speculates the state of feature society with the introduction of even more advanced technology. All the neon lights and street samurai shit was simply 1980s writers looking at the most advanced post-industrial societies and using that as inspiration for their advanced societies. A low income sci-fi setting isn't enough, the negative critique of society has to be there for it to be cyberpunk

>>330879237
>the visuals are more important to me
pic related
>>
Shadowrun i guess. Cyberpunk is not popular anymore
>>
>>330879646
Use stealth. I never tried playing guns blazing unless I horribly screw up, always tried to be sneaky, which pays off and saves a lot of trouble. Later on you can send an infiltrator with proxy hacking and he will be able to get through the base your whole squad all alone.
>>
Is ODST between missions cyberpunk?
>>
>>330873939
>Im not a weeb I swear.
Would would that matter?
This is 4chan and if you aren't you should fuck off.
>>
>>330880323
I can respect you definition, its just that I dont think negative critiques of societies technological advancement isnt something so particular to cyberpunk. Thats always been a thing in sci-fi one way or another. Utopias themselves just being another sub-genre.
>>
>>330880556
no. not even close. It has a similar aesthetic, but that's it
>>
>>330877157
No, its called cyberpunk. The 2077 is the release date.
>>
>>330880323
Your opinion is worthless.
>>
>>330880323

At least admit every topic has been covered in the genre writing wise. And every new game/movie/anine/whatever is just another take on something that's we have seen a dozen times before.
>>
>>330880656
>The 2077 is the release date.

No, that's Star Citizen
>>
>>330880656
>The 2077 is the release date.
>Implying it won't be delayed
>>
>>330880046
Other people have discussed an issue before, therefore there's never anything worthwhile to say on the subject.

>>330880110
Right, let's cut out all the substance and just look at the fucking window dressing. Are you kidding me?
>>
>>330875563
>>330877347
>>330877365
Bookfaggots, where do I start if I want to read more modern and sleek cyberpunk, like Deus Ex, as opposed to the old and grunge cyberpunk?
>>
>>330880698
>At least admit every topic has been covered in the genre writing wise
How would we even quantifiably know that?
WE have gotten derivative due to circular inspiration and issues, that does not mean story telling is.
I'm tired of this meme.
>>
>>330880882
Not much difference between modern and old cyberpunk honestly. What I read at least.
>>
>>330880978

Whens the last time a cyberpunk work actually had a unique or original concept that hasn't been done before? I'll wait.
>>
>>330881068
EYE took it to the next level
>>
>>330881068
Did you somehow read my post without reading my post?
>>
>>330880881

>I'm OK with retread after retread of the same themes and never getting any original ideas
>>
>>330880882
In what way is Deus Ex modern and sleek?
>>
>>330881068
What's the last time anything (any genre of any book/film/anime) had something we haven't seen before? So all books/games/films etc are bad or worthless?
>>
File: blizzard-animator.jpg (47 KB, 530x348) Image search: [Google]
blizzard-animator.jpg
47 KB, 530x348
>>330873939
Because it would be hard work
>>
>>330881178
probs talking about Human Revolution
>>
>>330881102

He just looked at your post's aesthetic, anon
>>
>>330880629
I don't mean that all sci-fi with a negative critiques of societies technological advancement is inherently cyberpunk, just that it's a crucial element of the genre. So even if your work rips of ever single bit of aesthetics from blade runner, its not cyberpunk unless it contains that critique

>>330880698
>is just another take on something that's we have seen a dozen times before.
you can say that about almost every work of fiction. The big issue for cyberpunk is that it simply isnt much in vogue right now, so most people out to actually explore ideas are using other genres)

>like Deus Ex,
if you mean the original, I wouldn't say its that different from more classic works. HR on the other hand is more post-cyberpunk than cyberpunk proper, so look that shit up
>>
There's not a single thing in the cyberpunk genre that I haven't read or could find in a Judge Dredd story/universe in the past 39 years.
>>
>>330881406
>So even if your work rips of ever single bit of aesthetics from blade runner, its not cyberpunk unless it contains that critique
Agreed then, I can see how it works that way..
>>
>>330881545

The whole punk aesthetic is missing, so there's that.
>>
>>330882095

"Punk". You mean high tech, low life? Literally every single fucking issue deals with the low life populace. And if you unironically meant actual punks then yes it has those too. In fucking spades.
>>
>>330882534

I've never read a Dredd comic, so let me know.
Are the stories of Judge Dredd primarily told with the outlaws as protagonists defying some "system", usually caught in some shadowy web of noir intrigue?

If anything the viewpoint in Dredd is literally the opposite of Cyberpunk even though they share an aesthetic.
>>
>>330873939
day of sex
>>
>>330883149
its cyberpunk from the perspective of "the system"
>>
>>330883149

Actually a lot of the time yes.

Judge Dredd is basically the secondary character a lot of the time. Most stories revolve around the civilians and then how Dredd reacts to them.

Its been around for 40 years, they've covered every angle at some point.
>>
>>330881545
Any place where I can download/read Dredd? Or least one small arc or something to see if it's worth buying?
>>
>>330883220

But Dredd himself is just (if I understand this correctly) an unstoppable killing machine obsessed with upholding the law.

Cyberpunk is often more disenfranchised individuals who don't have clearcut intent or deal with uncertainty and dubious Orwellian opponents while Dredd seems like an absolute unto himself.

They're really not the same, but they share common ground and Dredd certainly has far reaching influence.
>>
>>330883576

http://pastebin.com/wxt1ZwMe

The thing about Dredd is that its its own universe. Theres so many different takes and approaches to stories. One week it will be a satire of current politics, then a week later a comedy strip, then an issue about Dredd being a fascist piece of shit, then Dredd being action hero, then a horror comic, then a psychedelic acid trip, then a cyberpunk tale, then a sci fi alien tale then a really melancholy story etc etc

But its all really good.
>>
>>330884195

Thanks for the link bro
>>
>>330873939
Scrapland though its main theme isn't cyberpunk.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.