[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /v/, when it comes to multiplayer maps how symmetrical do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: Maps.png (37 KB, 986x800) Image search: [Google]
Maps.png
37 KB, 986x800
So /v/, when it comes to multiplayer maps how symmetrical do you like your maps to be? Do you have a preference for symmetry vs asymmetry?
http://strawpoll.me/7086898
>>
Depends on the game. CS is built to be asymmetrical and that's the core focus of its design. chess is great because of its symmetry. One is not inherently better.
>>
>>330854717
IIRC, all of the Gears of War maps were built to be mirrored, I think because of the cover system and whatnot. From what I've seen, most maps built around an objective that both teams follow the same rules for (CTF, KotH) are either mirrored or flipped along an axis, whereas maps built for death-match or an objective that has each team following different rules (plant the bomb/defend the bomb site, payload, invasion) go for asymmetry.
>>
asymmetry is the best 95% of the time, it's just hardest to balance.
>>
Symmetrical maps are for tryhard tourneyfag nofunallowed depressed people.

People who actually enjoy video games prefer asymmetry. Everything else is boring.
>>
>>330856135
I prefer asymmetry in a lot of games for the variety, change in strategy in reaction to what part of the map you're at, and for more challenging memorization/muscle memory, but I also usually like flipped maps a lot. As far as tourneys go, of course they're going to go for perfect or mirrored maps.
>>
>>330853864
symmetric design is great for testing weapon balance and player skill levels, but the drawback is that the enjoyment level is greatly constrained because only half the map needs to be truely memorized; it's difficult to make a terrible symmetric map, unless the map is extremely basic.

any other map has less constraint on how enjoyable the gameplay is, but also less constraint on how terrible it is; there could be some parts of the map which are so terrible, no one in their right mind would bother with accessing unless for a 1-in-100 rare play as a test to break status-quo shit.
>>
>>330856898
So if a map is symmetrical by being mirrored/flipped, would you prefer if it were more complex in design to make up for the "only memorizing half the map" part? ie, multiple height levels, multiple side routes for flanking, multiple objective spots (like "hills"), etc?
>>
I prefer asymmetrical, but with a team flip at half time. If asymmetrical doesn't have this it's shit and unbalanced.
>>
>>330858147
this
>>
>>330853864
Depends on the game mode, but assuming something standard like CP then Mirror or Flipped is probably the best.Asymmetry might look best in terms of making a map just look good but one side will always have at least a slight advantage and at worst a major one (see cp_dustbowl's final point).
>>
Objective based games:
Asymmetrical > Flipped > mirror > perfect

Kill/ TDM:
Mirror > Flipped > perfect > Asymmetrical

Free for all:
Perfect > mirror > asymmetrical > flipped
>>
>>330858347
Holy shit he's actually right!
Is /v/ ok now?
>>
File: adam jensen.jpg (4 KB, 250x202) Image search: [Google]
adam jensen.jpg
4 KB, 250x202
>>330858347
looks good to me.
>>
>>330853864
Asymmetrical is better if the map is balanced, but that's a really big if.
>>
File: Robotnik.png (413 KB, 632x480) Image search: [Google]
Robotnik.png
413 KB, 632x480
>>330858347
Well shit, anon, that seems pretty damn correct to me. Good job.
>>
>>330858347
>>330858426
>>330858478
>>330858607
Samefag or shit taste
>>
>>330858347
Personally I think Flipped > Mirror > Perfect > Asymmetrical for Kill/TDM
>>
>>330858589
Doesn't have to be balanced as long as both teams get to play on each side
>>
>>330858674
then give us your oh so superior opinion so I can say you're wrong.

And then call you a fag.
>>
>>330858347

Makes sense to me.

Perfect is objectively the most balanced but it's also the most boring and has the least room for artistic creativity, and vice versa for asymmetric.
>>
Very clever, OP.
>>
Symmetrical maps are usually better for certain objective modes like Capture the Flag, but asymmetry is better for everything else.

But that's not to say CTF can't be played on an asymmetrical map.
>>
>>330853864
All I see is loss
>>
File: Let Go.jpg (100 KB, 840x970) Image search: [Google]
Let Go.jpg
100 KB, 840x970
>>330858804
What are you talking abo--
OH GOD DAMMIT ANON
>>
>>330853864
i ii
ii i_
>>
>>330858347
>Wanting FFA to be symmetric and not a collection of unique parts that you can learn

Pls no.
>>
>>330853864
Asymmetrical, balanced through side rotations is the best.
>>
>>330858804
>>330858894
>>330858953
Fucking hell, /v/, what have the memes done to you?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.