[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the second half so much worse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Why is the second half so much worse?
>>
>>330847375
game was rushed by namco
>>
>>330847375
Time constraints.
Budget limitations.
Greedy japanese jews.
>>
>>330847375
Realistically, what kind of answers were you expecting?
>>
>>330847375
because dark soul deflowered the king daughter so he got mad
>>
>>330847375
I thought it was pretty great, lost izalith wasn't as bad as people give it credit for, I liked the fact that you actually had to change your rings and strategies to get through the level.
>>
File: 1441149816383.jpg (963 KB, 2319x3162) Image search: [Google]
1441149816383.jpg
963 KB, 2319x3162
Upon replaying this game I find it's not very good.

>too much focus on weapons and build over mechanical skill and gameplay
>too slow, too much delay when rolling or attacking (seriously there's like a 500ms delay for rolling or shield raising)
>really only caters to people who know the ins and outs of the game and specific builds, enemy weaknesses regardless of those players' actual skill
>trying to fit everything into one interconnected world makes it convoluted and confusing, it's often unclear where you need to go and what you need to do
>many of the key mechanics are poorly explained (lordvessel, upgrading estus, kindling bonfires, pardoning, etc)
>key characters for vital weapons, armor, pyro, miracles, and sorceries are a pain to find and severely limit your options and hamper the game experience
>worlds often feel empty and sterile (Anor Londo castle, Duke's Archives, Ash Lake, Lost Izalith, etc)
>many bosses are underwhelming or poorly designed (Ornstein&Smough, Priscilla, Capra Demon, Quelaag, Pinwheel, Seath, Taurus Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, bed of chaos)
>Hitboxes and i-frames are inconsistent
>game rewards simply running past enemies and rushing bosses over tactical play
>many mechanics are unfair the first time (mimic chest, seath the scaleless, Stray Demon floor collapsing, Anor Londo castle archers, bonfire at Sen's)

Overall, it's a mediocre game that is overhyped to hell, especially after playing the masterpiece that is Demon's Souls.

And before anyone says "git gud" I have the platinum in all three souls games and have completed DMC1-4 on DMD as well as NGB, NGS, and NGS2 on MNM, as well most platinumshit games on their highest difficulties with max rank.

This is not an issue of difficulty.
>>
>>330848576
Stale pasta
>>
>>330848814
he has a point, though. especially with the lack of mechanics and poorly explained mechanics.
>>
>>330848814
I wrote this pasta myself (along with many others, have about 250 texts saved to copy and paste) and just post it where it's relevant.
>>
>>330848576
>posting STleech

gtfo
>>
>>330848892
That's just as much a problem in DeS than it is in DaS. Would we actually know what Soul Tendency did if we didn't look it up? I went through the game 3 times before ever encountering a primeval demon, and was wondering why it showed up until I connected the dots. The average 1-2 playthrough player will literally never know how Soul Tendency works.
>>
game woulda been 10,000x better if it was actually complete and Bed of Chaos was a real boss fight and not a gimmick.
oh and instead of killing King Jar Eel to drain the water, you get buttfucked by 40 ghosts and it's debatable whether the ghost section is even challenging.

it's worse because the game was rushed out.
>>
>>330849157
Demon's Souls has miles better world design and level design, and all the mechanics come naturally through progression of the story, and it doesn't obfuscate key characters and mechanics because "le so hard xDD"

Dark Souls has lots of obscure, backwards bullshit, partially just because the level design is terrible and they purposely hide key characters and mechanics, but also because they decided to go for the interconnected world to full scale gimmick and sacrificed pacing, and world building simply for the player to be able to say "oh, that's cool, I can see another part of the world from here."
>>
>>330849629
I mean, I don't disagree, I definitely see DeS as the superior game, but you can't look at me with a straight face and say Mephistopheles isn't hidden from you. Most people who play the game will never meet her, and I only met her on my third playthrough, where I was consciously going Black to see what would happen. If you don't encounter Mephistopheles, then you're not able to that entire subplot.
>>
>>330848576
Who a seaman deamen
>>
>>330850256
>I definitely see DeS as the superior game
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>330848576
I haven't read your wall of text but,
>too slow, too much delay when rolling or attacking
This is what makes the gameplay good. You can't just spam buttons and win.
>>
>>330850502
>tfw defending DaS
o-ok anon, I'll stop trying to help
>>
>>330850502
Fuck off PCuck.

Reminder that DeS has the best
>bosses
>atmosphere
>level design
>combat (faster and more fluid than DkS)
>weapon design
>armor design
>invasion system
>mechanics (grass over estus, mana over spell uses, being in soul form actually has consequences)
And finally it was actually a complete game and didn't have downright pitiful, half-assed shit like Ash Lake, Anor Londo Castle, Lost Izalith, Demon Ruins, or the same Asylum Demon boss recycled three times. And it actually explained basic game mechanics unlike Dark Souls with kindling, Estus upgrades, and weapon upgrades. It also didn't cater to "le so hardcore xDD" memers and was never meant to be arbitrarily difficult, but was just meant to be punishing so victories felt more fulfilling and rewarding.
>>
File: 1444590751357.jpg (36 KB, 512x584) Image search: [Google]
1444590751357.jpg
36 KB, 512x584
>>330850629
>input lag is good

Soulsfags everyone.

DeS and Bloodborne don't have this lag by the way.
>>
>>330850649
this. playing demons souls for the first time is an indescribable feeling. nothing else like it back then, still the best in the series (haven't played bloodborne). i almost feel bad for DSbabbies.
>>
>>330850743
>he doesn't agree with me
>must be a pcuck
I have both ps3 and ps4. I never experienced this input lag you're talking about in any of the games.
>>
>>330850415
STpeach

She's a streamer AKA camwhore who uses her lady bits for viewers.
>>
>>330850649
I agree with everything you said until you got to
>grass over estus
nigga what? That's literally the only part of DaS that they did better. Why do you think grass is better than estus? Having so much grass is stupid, and lets you be so careless with your health knowing you have 50+ healing items readily available to you. And then, should one be really bad at the game, you have to either buy it en masse, or farm it in Boletaria.

Genuinely curious as to why you think grass is better than estus.
>>
>>330850750
Yeah, it's tied for my favorite game of last gen. Dark Souls was decent, but it just felt lacking in level design and world building, enemy design was disappointing compared to DeS, combat felt more sluggish, and it doesn't have that grim atmosphere of Demon's Souls. And then the incomplete levels in the latter half of DkS are just fucking insultng.

Demon's Souls was such a wholly unique experience, it's just almost mystical playing it for the first time. The gameplay was so fluid, the level design and the little intricancies of the levels, with each world having its own theme, the enemy and boss design, the community back then (I started around Dec. of 2009) was great, etc.
>>
>>330850743
>DeS and Bloodborne don't have this lag by the way.
30 fps means there will always be significant input lag you fucking monkey. just because you're a fat console peasant third worlder monkey with retard reflexes and can't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
>>
>>330851346
There's like a half-second delay when rolling (500ms). 30fps would add only a 17ms delay on average.

Framerate is largely independent from input lag. Even games like SFIV have 80+ ms of input lag that is in the game regardless of platform, settings, controller, or output device.
>>
>>330851107
Still waiting for a reply. Would love to hear the reasoning by this.
>>
>>330847375
It's not, that's just a silly meme. Only unfinished feel places are valley of the drakes, ash lake and the lava place with the huge dinosaur things.
>>
Funny, I thought Dark Souls was the only game /v/ universally praised.
>>
>>330847375

because all of the levels that aren't a castle/dungeon are shit. Think about it, best levels are:

>undead burg/parish
>sen's fortress
>anal rodeo
>the depths

you could argue new londo and duke's archives fall into the castle-y category but duke's is ruined by relying too much on skinny cat walks to go everywhere and new londo could have been good but its short and the shit with ghosts/curses is just annoying.
>>
time/budget restrictions.

but yea every time I replay I completely lose interest post anal rodeo.

dukes archives is alright but has a shit boss, tomb of the giants is alright just because of how terrible it is to go through, nito is a trash fight (10/10 design tho) and does pinwheel actually count as a fight?

new londo is pretty good but all the dumb ghosts just shit it up. If it was mainly infested by darkwraiths and other fucked shit it'd be good but the lame ass ghosts anyone at that stage of the game will one shot if they have a transient curse/blessed weapon really bring it down. Four kings is a shit fight too

don't even need to comment on demon ruins/lost izalith
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.