[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /v/ feel about these games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: SteamEarlyAccess.jpg (10 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
SteamEarlyAccess.jpg
10 KB, 300x200
Would you buy an early access title? Does Steam give green light for some projects at too early stage? Should there be more limitations at what stage the game can go early access?
>>
Haven't bought an early access game since Starbound
>>
>>330834667
How was it? Seemed a cool idea. Hardly ever buy these games as it take some time until the game is playable.
>>
I would buy another one if the refund time period didn't apply with these, or at least made it like a month or so. Still extremely mad about KF2.
>>
>>330835486
First one was fun. I assume they pulled the short stick on the second?
>>
>>330835816
They're doing balancing to current perks already instead of getting out all of the perks out first. More accurately the more wanted Sharpshooter.
>>
I only buy early access games if they have a history of being updated on a regular basis and have a reasonable trajectory towards a finished product.

Thus far, such an approach has kept me out of trouble. The only game I got bit by was Starbound, but even that game is actually getting updated occasionally and they finally have a trajectory towards 1.0, so maybe once they reach it I'll give the game another go.
>>
>>330836090
Lol. Then they need to balance them again when a new perk roll out. Do they update constantly enugh?
>>
>>330835090

Starbound went through a protracted period of not being updated as they figured out what the fuck they were going to do with the game. But they're updating it again and actually have a plan for 1.0 -

I wouldn't recommend buying it now, but when it reaches 1.0, maybe.
>>
>>330836514
Yes and no with minor shit as in tweaks. We get new maps like every 2 months or so. Albeit there is the SDK.
>>
>>330836404
How do you do your research if the devs are capable finishing the game? Many on these games are made by smaller teams, not that much information on them.
>>
>>330834582
I have bought 3 early access games, all have come out with full release and been great. So my attitude towards it is very positive. Maybe that's because I can actually see when a game has potential and not blindly throw money at something
>>
>>330837054

Just check the update history and see how often they patch and what things they add.

Also, if the game doesn't sound fun to play right at this moment, don't buy it.
>>
already bought some

don't regret most of them

I do regret KF2 however, bought way before refunding became a thing
>>
>>330837030
At least they are updating it. I played played the first game a lot in LAN parties. Great action with friends. Last time we were about to buy the second game but then we saw the early access status and skipped it for now. Did we dodge a bullet?
>>
the quality of a game has nothing to do if it;s early access or not. Ive played plenty of Early access games that were better than "complete" $60 games. there are plenty of good and bad devs on both sides
>>
cancer

>these are the things pc gaming brings to the table

again, cancer
>>
Ill be releasing my next game on Early Access. Its the best way for some games
>>
>>330837868
Which games to be more accurate?
>>
>>330838228
Cool. Hows the progress atm? How much is it gonna cost?
>>
>>330838301
speedrunners
distance
rivals of aether
Kerbal

speedrunners specifically if one of the best games on Steam IMO
>>
>>330834582
I hate 'em and wish there was a genoicde for devs making stupid survival/crafting early access cash grabs.

But not just that genre, just stop using this early access feature, it's CANCER.
>>
>>330838610
Well I have heard a lot good about Speedrunners, but I have hard time seeing it par with a $60 game.
>>
>>330838408
the game is trigger spree. a MP FPS

http://www.surrealdistractions.com/triggerspree

Progress is good, but still needs a lot of work in the character and gameplay aspect. But it's coming along well. Im aiming for $10-15 price for early access. Im working alone on it, I dont really want to form a team and have to trust and depend on others.
>>
>>330839028
How would you better it?
>>
>>330839034
ive spend $60 on MGS5, Fallout 4, and BO3. yet ive had much more fun and time spent on Speedrunners. Obviously it's going to depend on your taste
>>
>>330839028
nobody is forcing you to buy them retard
>>
File: 2016-02-26_00007.jpg (455 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-26_00007.jpg
455 KB, 1920x1080
Only as a 'support the development'. Not as playing product early. Fuck that shit. Most of the time I just burn out on the game before it is even released, and when it is released I don't give a shit anymore.
>>
>>330834582
I pirate them

I won't give money to a project the dev may quit in the blink of an eye
>>
>>330839168
Yeah it's a matter of taste. I just think the production costs in case of MGS5, FO4 and BO3 justify the price better. Perhaps I'm go try out the speedrunners as well.
>>
I'm fine buying any early access title if it has enough content for me to sufficently feel like I've gotten my money's worth, and I'm not too stingy like retards here who think $15 here for 10 hours of gameplay is overpriced.
>>
>>330834582
>Would you buy an early access title?
No.
>Does Steam give green light for some projects at too early stage?
Yes.
>Should there be more limitations at what stage the game can go early access?
Only one limitation: When it's finished.
>>
>>330839053
I like that you can break shit up and the weapon with rolling bullets. How's the gameplay gonna be like? First thing came to mind was thats it's gonna be a online multiplayer.
>>
>>330840345
yea it's an unrealistic online multiplayer FPS with a large variety of weapons, maps, characters. It's essentially inspired by Timesplitters, UT, Quake, Halo, Perfect Dark.

I want to make it F2P eventually, with cosmetic item drops. But that might be awhile after it's initial release. The biggest problem I see with indie FPS on Steam are the dead communities, and/or they are too similar to Quake/UT
>>
>>330834582
Doesnt matter to me, all I care about is if ill get any enjoyment out of the game right now, regardless of future events. Early access, beta, alpha, released, closed release. Whatever. Dont care what you call it all I care about is the product in its current state.

Starsector, Project Zomboid, Project Reality, Space Engineers, Cortex Command were all fun when I picked them up originally, and iv had my fill regardless of whether they get updated or not.

Hitman's been pretty good too, and I think an episodic model might work well for it.
>>
File: 1386798002570.jpg (47 KB, 814x500) Image search: [Google]
1386798002570.jpg
47 KB, 814x500
They're all shit.
>>
>>330834582
I bought Clockwork Empires and it's actually pretty fun watching it grow every month in a way.
>>
I've been extremely tempted to buy The Culling. There aren't enough battle royale games around. It looks pretty complete too.
>>
Early Access was a mistake

How naive gamers were 10 years ago when they innocently said HOLY SHIT I'D PAY MONEY TO PLAY THIS GAME EVEN WHILE IT'S IN DEVELOPMENT :)

That wish was granted, and Early Access turned out to be filled with bogus, scammy shit. EA games whose development is abandoned, or EA games where their Feature list gets implemented in a horribly shallow, shitty way just to tick it off on the checkbox (think how POE's kickstarter goal Keep was such a shallow and pathetic excuse for keep management)

Honestly Gaben needs to implement the same policy GOG has where they give a questions-free refund if the game is marked Early Access. Of course he won't because the fat bastard loves his money too much, and plus it would just mean more developers would do like Capcom did with Street Fighter V and release their unfinished game without filing it as an Early Access game.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.