[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cool Ways for RTS Factions to Create Units
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: BattleRealms.jpg (129 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
BattleRealms.jpg
129 KB, 800x600
Hey /v/,

What are some interesting, unique, or cool ways a faction in an RTS could use to create units?
Alternatively, what existing faction has the best production scheme?

game ideas/design thread
>>
The base is a giant ass, representing that of your dad.
When you begin production of a unit, a large penis penetrates the asshole. The strength of the unit determines the speed of the anal fucking. Big, heavy units cause a slow and steady fucking, while weaker, smaller units cause rapid anal penetration.

When production is complete, the units emerge from the asshole via semen from the resulting anal creampie. To announce production is complete, a recording of your dad's voice plays saying "You're a disappointment"
>>
Warzone 2100 had a system where you'd choose the propulsion, hull, etc. For the vehicles before you built them. Gonna reinstall
>>
File: 1437332705460.jpg (48 KB, 605x806) Image search: [Google]
1437332705460.jpg
48 KB, 605x806
>>330811835

6/7
>>
>>330811835
imagine your dad reading this post as you type it from over your shoulder.
Is he disappoint, son?
>>
>>330811835
What's the faction called?
>>
Zhon in TA:K summoned units directly onto the field. Not that original, but all the other races mostly just trained them from barracks per the norm.

The Undead in WC3 (and wc1+2) could summon units from the dead. I always liked that touch. Never seen awhole race built around it tho, would be nice.
>>
>>330811835
sounds about right
>>
Xenomorphs in AVP: Extinction had a pretty cool way to get new units.
You had to beat an enemy unit and then drag it back to your egg hive. Depending on the unit you caught, it'll spawn a different Warrior, which can all evolve down different paths as well.
>>
>>330811047
Kill units
Receive body parts
Attach them to other units
>>
>>330812414
GLA units were nice in Generals
>>
>>330811047
I remember in DoW2: Retribution that you could use a dropship to deliver a tank onto the field, that was pretty cool.
>>
File: 1411182414847.png (145 KB, 400x1200) Image search: [Google]
1411182414847.png
145 KB, 400x1200
>>330811047
an RTS fully focused on the concept of necromancy and/or summoning. I think back to games like TA: Kingdoms, mana being the resource. You can always introduce graves and skeletal remains as a resource too. You gotta raise up enemy necromancer to win, but you can counter this by just becoming lich.
>>
>>330812414

Oh yeah, like the robots in Metal Fatigue
>>
ITT let me make money off of your ideas for free :^)
>>
File: melee ranged artillery.jpg (184 KB, 1047x573) Image search: [Google]
melee ranged artillery.jpg
184 KB, 1047x573
>>330811047
Impossible Creatures had a really cool unit building system. You combined different parts of different animals to try and create a super monster.
>>
>>330812507
Art of Magic series is exactly that. You have only your main wizard guy and they summon all other units and cast spells by holding mana fountains.

No one knows the series though and it wasnt especially great.
>>
>>330812761
>Splice everything with whale
>Just make giant everything
>>
Total annihilation just built your stuff out of nanobots right there.

People just appearing out of nowhere, and being trained in a barracks always feels a bit dumb... Same as "researching" the same tech every game
>>
>>330812761
It would be interesting to see similar systems in other settings
>>
>>330812761
Gorilla+Sperm Whale master race here.
>>
I always liked how Nod in CnC1 flew in their vehicles in cargo planes
>>
>>330812761

Ever combine a Porcupine with one of those high tier beetles?

Massive top tier damage dealer.

Otherwise, just sticking a giraff's head onto anything was fun too
>>
File: artofwar_layout.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
artofwar_layout.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Grey Goo's goo race were cool as fuck to play. It was like playing Terran and Zerg at the same time. Hope the studio is able to keep making games.
>>
>>330814850
Well they just released that 4th race. How is the Goo like Terran?
>>
>>330814850
I think they announced a weird little voxel RTS the other day... At least one of the companies related to grey goo
>>
I like how Supreme Commander handles unit creation, by having bots be created from energy and recycled mass.
>>
>>330815005
Terran could move entire bases (at least in Brood War, not sure about SC2) plus they had a variety of units you could make, it was pretty cool.

Haven't picked up the expansion for Grey Goo, I'm shit at RTS but it was fun.
>>
File: hämta (9).jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
hämta (9).jpg
10 KB, 259x194
I just bought this on Steam 15 minutes ago.
I remember playing it a lot as a kid. So much, in fact, that setting my teeth into it now I went into the first mission with 110% concentration, issuing orders like it was a fucking SC2 competetive match.
>>
>>330811047
Battle Realms have base peasants spam from the main house, then you can train them through several buildings (become Spearman at Dojo, etc), if you give them two training then they become different units, pretty neat to me, also they can get special abilities through the same way.
>>
>>330815109
Found it, 8bit armies by petroglyph
>>
File: Bl_banner.png (1 MB, 1600x599) Image search: [Google]
Bl_banner.png
1 MB, 1600x599
Not an RTS, but their mechanic is still nice
The Broken Lords don't need food like others, instead they rely on Dust, which is practically magic gold.
You need to buy population, buy the heal etc
The story behind it is pretty neat
>>
>>330816558

Looks pretty fun
>>
>>330816850
I thought the Dust was just programmable Nanomachines, and that the Broken Lords were basically sentient clouds of said Nanomachines living in armor, that go around draining the Dust out of the rest of the world, essentially creating a Nanomachines vampire.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.