[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Morrowind is much smaller than Skyrim or Oblivion, why does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: MGEScreen04[1].jpg (154 KB, 1666x966) Image search: [Google]
MGEScreen04[1].jpg
154 KB, 1666x966
If Morrowind is much smaller than Skyrim or Oblivion, why does it feel like there is so much more to do in it?
>>
Because it's much more dense. The fog and slow movement speed help creating the ilusion of an enormous world.
>>
gostalgia noggles
>>
Who /OpenMW/ here?
>>
By commuting and traveling on foot you're more engaged with the world around you.
>>
File: Morrowind Concept Art 7.jpg (52 KB, 670x600) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind Concept Art 7.jpg
52 KB, 670x600
>>330790921
Because there's a lot more detail! Just in the starting area alone, you can find out the relationships that characters have with each other, and use that to start relationships with people in other cities. Ever town and city has a backstory. Every quest is interesting. Not to mention, the silt strider system will always be great.
>>
>>330794359
>you can find out the relationships that characters have with each other, and use that to start relationships with people in other cities
what
>>
>>330794442
for example, giving the ring to the elf you meat as soon as you step out of the offices in Seyda neen. He'll instantly like you, and in turn, the guy who runs the shop will like you. This means you sell items at higher prices much more easily. Or, if you do a quest with someone, and they have a friend or family in another city, that person will instantly like you more.
>>
>>330790921
because there is actually more stuff there. Skyrim was a lot more empty than Morrowind, and maybe on the same level as Oblivion if you're being generous. Skyrim was just downright shit when it came to being fleshed out for its time.
>>
>>330794715
the other TES games had this too.

>>330795919
>talking out of your ass

MW and Oblivion defense force full on shilling tonight again, I see.
>>
>>330790921
More wilderness encounters. My first TES was Skyrim and the first thing I noticed once I got out of helgen was that there was nothing around and nothing to fight.

Also more NPCs. And even if many of them were filler NPCs they were at leas more interactable than Skyrim's filler NPCs.
>>
>>330792169
>will forever be incompatible with script extenders
>all the good mods used script extenders
No thanks.
>>
Because later games are more procedurally generated, which means the different things in it (sights, quests, dungeons, loot etc) fall into categories. No matter how much you fill each category, you look at it as "oh another X category thing".

In Morrowind, being completely handcrafted, all these things fail to be categorized. Quests vary greatly, sights vary, dungeons vary, loot varies. It is a more "organic", natural-feeling variety, which makes it feel like there's so much more to see.
>>
>>330797781
Why not just remake those script extenders for OpenMW?
>>
>>330790921
Really? I feel like it's even more empty. While in Oblivion or Skyrim I set out to do something and find unrelated stuff on the way to and often lose track on other things, on Morrowind I just go from A to B with nothing in between save rare exceptions.
>>
>>330794359
>Every quest is interesting.
Not really. I seem to remind a LOT of "gather 5 of this flower/mushroom" quests in the imperial cult and also some in the mages guild. The "gather gold" part of the imperial cult quests only had one quest that was interesting, and very much so, which was the quest where you ended up having to track down a thief only to find out he was living with his lover in this far away city. Save from that, all the others were also uninteresting fetch quests.
>>
Because you fill in the gameplay/story gaps with your imagination.
That quote from Gunpei Yokoi about not having realistic graphics is right: when things try to look real, their flaws and limitations are more apparent.
Morrowind's NPCs are inexcusable garbage that nostalgiafags overlook far too often.

Oblivion best TES, TES is overrated anyway.
>>
>>330797941
Then you'd still have to update the mods scripts to use oMW scripts. And some of those Morrowind modders are dead literally.
>>
>>330798196
Imperial cult was a pointless faction
>>
>>330798452
>Then you'd still have to update the mods scripts to use oMW scripts
Not if you tell your open script extender how to read those.
>>
File: skree.jpg (120 KB, 1300x1000) Image search: [Google]
skree.jpg
120 KB, 1300x1000
>>330798000
In skyrim you have to actively look for shit to fight. In morrowind, they come looking for you.
>>
>>330797448
>talking out of your ass

Not him, but what. If you had played all of them how could that even be up for discussion? Morrowind has far more detail put into it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.