[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a good MMO /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: intuitive ai.jpg (179 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
intuitive ai.jpg
179 KB, 800x600
What makes a good MMO /v/?
>>
having content
>>
Easy to learn hard to master
Lore
Good graphics (for its time)
Good itemization
PvE + PvP + crafting + questing content
Love from the devs
The community
More or less balanced
A team of devs who can hotfix bugs
Uptime and server reliability
Gameplay that fits the genre. Black Desert comes to mind, the boss fights are abysmally bad. Bosses have dull mechanics and they look like disco balls. Knowing when to tone down particle effects and eye candy is just as important as making those effects look good.
>>
Lots of grinding
>>
>>330708889
Wow, fucking entitled gamers.
>>
is not wow
is not p2w
thats good enough for me
>>
File: 1453827491163.jpg (308 KB, 862x1648) Image search: [Google]
1453827491163.jpg
308 KB, 862x1648
>>330709250
>hard to master
<insert hordes of casuals whining>
>>
>>330708440
The possibility of simultaneously
a) playing the class that appeals to you most
b) outperforming others

so, a balanced game.

another very, very important aspect is that the game is full of limitations.
>>
Strong social aspect.
>>
To me, mainly what WoW has. Wildstar was pretty great, but the bugs, lack of content, and insultingly bad "GOOD JOB CUPCAKE" humor really turned me off from it. I really like exploration stuff in vibrant beautiful worlds, GW2 and Wildstar had that.

I got legitimately excited when I found a secret cave in GW2's human starting area with a treasure chest.
>>
>>330708440
1)community
2)content
3)another c word
>>
>>330709646
mmo? full of limitations?
why the fuck would you want that?
>>
>>330708440
Dinosaurs. mmos should have dinos in them. Maybe as a playable race.
>>
>>330709796
Collectibles?
>>
>>330709875

probably so that you get others to help you. it is a multiplayer game after all.

you can't craft everything, so you get someone else to make something you need.
you can't finish all the content yourself, so you need to group up to complete it.
>>
>>330709796
Cuckolds?
>>
>>330710382
In short: Some mechanic that forces you to communicate and do stuff with people. Kinda like vanilla wow.
>>
>>330710791
which imo isnt limitating the game but expanding it
>>
mmos were a mistake
>>
>>330709875
not only do the limitations make things interesting and force players to be creative... limitations also create the force of necessity in the universe of the game.
>>
>>330709796

customization?
>>
>>330709796
catgirls?
>>
>>330708440
In my case
Free dlc.
Bosses have a 80% chance to drop legendaries
Public events
OP as fuck class's
>>
You know with Everquest Next being canned, are there any big name MMOs in development? For the life of me I cant think of any.
>>
>>330708440
>Solid systems behind the game.
An esoteric combat system may appeal to some but drives away potential new players and hurts you in the long run.
>Visually appealing and cohesive looking
Every MMO doesn't have to be pushing top end graphics fidelity for the top of the line hardware of its time if said look is off putting.
>A world with a reason to exist beyond the base content
MMO's often fall into the trap of making everything but the highest level content completely obsolete. Give your players a reason to visit other zones other than a flightpath or achievement.
>Encourage (and sometimes force) group gameplay
An MMO, by definition, is not a single player game. A wide berth of the content should be able to be done by yourself, but putting in mechanics or situations that make people come together naturally goes a long way towards building a community that is willing to reach out and help.

There's a lot of things that can make an MMO good, but the better question is what can make an MMO bad.
>>
>>330708440
A good, coherent UI
>>
>>330712439

It's not big name and it's still pretty early in development, but Pantheon is probably the closest thing we're ever going to get to an EQ successor.

>>330708440

A focus on the journey and not just the endgame, have the levelling process be entertaining and not just something you mindlessly grind out solo. Bring back social interaction, group mobs/quests/encounters during the journey, less emphasis on dungeon finder.
>>
>>330708440

customization
freedom
events
engaging
player-driven interaction and cooperation are encouraged
permanent content that is always accessible, no living story bullshit or "le cataclismic even le changed le continents XDD" crap
expansions that actually augment the game further
>>
File: 1451789846675.jpg (109 KB, 1280x998) Image search: [Google]
1451789846675.jpg
109 KB, 1280x998
A good, friendly community is my biggest thing.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.