[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just finished Quake 4 and thought it was pretty good. Pros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 3.jpg (31 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
31 KB, 460x215
So I just finished Quake 4 and thought it was pretty good.

Pros
>Movement Speed post-Stroggification was pretty good
>Gunplay was great, rushing Strogg fags with the shotgun was satisfying as fuck
>Good level design, "backtracking" actually spawns new enemies and leads you further through the story
>Friendly AI isn't retarded
>Every weapon has its use

Cons
>Gameplay pre-Stroggification is a bit boring, game took a bit too long to let you go fast
>Bosses were somewhat easy
>Dark Matter Gun made the final bossfight into a pushover
>Textures look like complete shit
>Game is too dark even with brightness on maximum
>Only some guns have flashlights for some goddamned reason

I heard it was one of the weaker installments in the series, but I liked it. Why is that? Which Quake is the best in the series?
>>
>>330703865
>Which Quake is the best in the series?
Only played 3 and 4, tried 1 and 2 and I can see why people love it, but I cant get into those games anymore same with Blood ..., loved 3, 4 was okay, loved the pistol, everything else felt like garbage but the game had its moments.
>>
I remember i got this for the
360 years ago i got it for like 10 bucks and it came with quake 2 as an extra game but i played the ever living fuck out of 4 what a fun as fuck campaign
>>
>>330704751
quake 4's campaign was really a pleasant surprise
>>
>>330704351
I couldn't get into Q1, the sound design was headache inducing and the guns felt weak.
>>
>>330703865

quake
>>
carmack is hack
>>
>>330706742
He had nothing to do with Q4.
>>
>neo-/v/ think quake 4 has a good campaign
>it's by far the weakest game in the series

the reality of it is you just think any fps campaign is a good campaign. you could play oni and think the campaign is good.

"set piece" shit ruined fps
>>
File: spasm0016.jpg (853 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
spasm0016.jpg
853 KB, 1920x1080

The first one, obviously.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (316 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
316 KB, 1920x1080
>>330703865

2 is where the series peaked. It had a fun SP, and the MP never got better.

Not to say that 3 is bad though, but I personally didn't like it, and I still don't.
>>
>>330707436
what mod is that?
>>
>>330708178
>and the MP never got bette

quake and quake3 both have far better mp than quake2, quake has far better level design. q3 is memorable and special, but still the worst of the real quakes

>>330707436
arcane dimensions, just came out, its bretty gud
>>
>>330708178
>Best SP
Quake 1
>Best MP
Quake 3
>Best music
Quake 2
>>
>>330708370
err, q2 is the worst of the real quakes. they lost several important level designers between 1 and 2, quake's levels are an extension of what was learned in doom, they are masterpieces. q2s levels tend to be meandering back and forth bleh fests. good enemy variety in q2 though, they throw new stuff to you until near the end
>>
>>330708390
>Best music
>Quake 2

This
>>
>>330708185

The map is The Horde of Zendar, particularly the version meant to be used with Arcane Dimensions
http://www.simonoc.com/files/maps/sp/ad_zendar2a.zip

There's also the original and non-AD variant of the map
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/zendar.htm
>>
File: Stroggification.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Stroggification.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
Good ol Quake 4
>>
>>330708471
>>330708390
>music made by some no-name industrial group with the same synthesized overdriven guitar on every track is better than an ambient nine inch nails album

i'm going to say no
>>
>>330708860
You're right of course but with posts like this:
>>330706647
the shit taste force is in full deployment.
>>
>>330708992
Yeah, I'm critiscizing your favorite game, nostalgia goggles. What are you gonna do about it?
>>
>>330708992
he's talking about the sounds in quake being 11khz

the sound is very low bitrate/quality by today's standards, and on top of that they heavily compressed the sounds, so they all really pop, they don't have much "warmth" to hide their low bitrate nature

I've never considered it a detriment to the game, quake has the most iconic sfx of any game to me, but i could see it feeling odd to ppl now, especially headphone wearers

if guy is playing using headphones, i suggest speakers instead, and try to get the original soundtrack for q1..the weapons aren't weak you're probably just a scrub :D
>>
>>330708860
>having taste this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALBKFB28E0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6VpX-feA2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nssCEHsodA
>>
>>330710149
yes anon i know what bargain barrel 90s industrial sounds like. i have this game on cd. in fact i have work included in an official quake 2 related id software product :)

here, look up some bands like pig, front line assembly and kmfdm and prepare to be blown away. would you believe people actually make this sort of music with a little bit of talent?
>>
>>330710149
Quad Machine is a work of art
>>
>>330710294
Go away, /mu/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6oBC0Ym5c
>>
>>330710294
>front line assembly and kmfdm

I listened to these guys in high school

I even listened to MDFMK (I preferred the female vocals)
>>
>>330710798
yeah i listened to them in high school too and not really after that. but it's the good version of the quake 2 music which is literally megashit-tier industrial made in fruity loops.

all kmfdm albums have tracks with female vocals
>>
>>330710294
>kmfdm
>kill mother'fucking depeche mode
>>
>>330710914
i just recently discovered that both violator and black celebration by depeche mode are SUPER good
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.