[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you ever pay2win?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
Did you ever pay2win?
>>
The ultimate P2W test

If you have to argue whether a game is P2W, it's P2W.
>>
Never. The concept is repulsive to me. Even in games where you can pay 2 win, I don't pay and feel all the better if I win anyway.
>>
>>330699637
I bought the macca area DLC for SMT IV to make grinding easier. it's the only way to do the neutral route
>>
Is this real?
>>
>>330699717
Does that really hold water when anybody can be contrarian?

A game could have literally one cosmetic that costs $5, and is strictly an appearance item. Somebody could argue that it's Pay2Win, and somebody could then argue that it isn't.

Is it still Pay2Win just because there's an argument?
>>
>>330699637
is this legit? I never played the phone version of X because I own literally every other version
>>
File: and you.gif (932 KB, 175x131) Image search: [Google]
and you.gif
932 KB, 175x131
>>330699717
This doesn't make any sense, congratulations, you're a retard.
>>
>>330699885
>>330699960
The option is there but Zero doesn't give that dialog.
>>
>>330699885
>>330699960
It's true that you can pay to unlock upgrades. The actual screen cap is pretty fake, though. The font on the last line doesn't even match up with the rest of the text.
>>
File: b0043454_140494.jpg (176 KB, 560x336) Image search: [Google]
b0043454_140494.jpg
176 KB, 560x336
Bought sword chick in Hard Corps Uprising. Thought she'd be cool. She tore through ever thing
>>
>>330699917

Unless the cosmetic is also available through gameplay, it's pay to win.

I'm a completionist.
>>
I don't know what motivates a person to make in app purchases.

Like, a lot of people rationalise it because it's cheap, but you're still paying money for fucking nothing.
>>
File: 7028232_s700_v0.jpg (86 KB, 588x522) Image search: [Google]
7028232_s700_v0.jpg
86 KB, 588x522
>>330699637
>>
>>330699637
but why is zero orange?
>>
I bought smt 4 pay2win dlc, nep 2 windlc and fe awakening good stuff dlc. I regret all 3
>>
>>330699917
>somebody could argue that cosmetics are p2w

No they could not, nobody can, for obvious reasons. They could spout braindead nonsense though, but that isn't arguing.
>>
played gunbound back in the day.

good game. never spent a dime
>>
File: 354673734.png (209 KB, 584x604) Image search: [Google]
354673734.png
209 KB, 584x604
>Tfw every game you have to pay to play is pay to win as you have to pay, to win at the game
>>
Never.
>>
I bought Cosmic Break cash. Rolled the premium Garapon once and got Aquilagirl. Dumped all my in-game cash into enhancing her and turning into the ultimate freeplayer destroyer.

It was hella fun.
>>
Overwatch looks fun.
>>
>>330699637
I don't play phone games.
>>
I hardly ever buy DLC in general.
I bought all of the Shadow of Mordor DLC for like $10 some months ago, and even though I really liked the game I questioned why pretty much immediately. The game really only worked for its initial duration. Its mechanics were pretty dull after adding any more time with it.
>>
>>330701120
The only times I've ever really bought DLC is when I can get it as a bundle with the game itself for cheap.

I guess I also got the Mario Kart and Smash DLC but that was more for friends/family than myself.
>>
>>330700196
Completionist as well but as a person who see Runescape as clearly P2W (members get a clear advantage from quest rewards access alone) though it seem like most people think otherwise because it is a monthly fee and not something you have to toss dollars at a time, I think a pretty outfit costing real cash isn't pay to win as you literally get no advantages. Unless the pretty outfit count for the 100% I don't see any harm in it. I feel sorry in you if you can't play games like the new Naruto because you are guarantee to pay double of the game worth over outfits that aren't even that good and honestly could just be modded in if you know how.
>>
>>330699917
>>330700067
It's a good litmus test. Everyone knows when a game -isn't- P2W. No one even thinks to argue whether or not Terraria is P2W, for example. It's only when games have microtransactions that provide the player a benefit of some sort do people argue or rationalize their purchases.

However, it's only a litmus test, as you'll see below.

>>330700558
I can. MOBA cosmetics, usually ones that drastically change the unit's clothing and silhouette, increase the time it takes to recognize the unit and their abilities when they enter the screen. As the number of characters and custom skins in the game increases, the outfits eventually gain similarity and act as a form of camouflage. There have been times I've confused one unit for another because their custom skin looks similar to the default of another character. Knowing that X character is or isn't in the match from a logical standpoint doesn't matter when it comes to split-second sight recognition. Custom skins give an advantage and are therefore P2W.
>>
>>330701841
And people wonder why MOBAs are cancer. Cosmetic changes are never P2W unless they actually give better stats, or they alter cooldowns or have better animation cancelling.
>>
>>330700693
>what is pirating
>>
>>330701596

I'm speaking mostly about MMOs here but there's a certain big-dick showoff factor about how your character looks, most times.

Generally in an MMO, the bragging rights came from farming the same shit or completing very difficult content in exchange for unique gear. Now these same bragging rights are obtained, often only being obtainable this way, through paying real life money for it. It doesn't give you a statistical advantage - Hell very few games ever so that, but a big part of MMOs is the social aspect and your character's looks being hidden behind paying extra money rather than through gameplay should be considered a pay to win aspect, since for some people 'winning' is just beating someone in PvP, for others it's having the largest amount of in-game currency To RMT, and others just want fuck-huge armor.

I generally believe that someone's real world whimsical spending practices shouldn't be reflected in an MMO world at all.
>>
I've bought characters for games like Marvel Heroes and character services for MMO's. Don't know if any of that is P2W.
>>
>playing games on a phone, ever
>playing games with pay-to-win micro-transactions, ever

scum
>>
>>330699637

Even knowing it's fake, it still makes me rage.

Shit hits too close to the mark.
>>
>>330703306
It's fake? I know the cutscene's fake, but I thought the microtransaction was real.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.