[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Steam ever closed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: steam.png (153 KB, 3050x2233) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
153 KB, 3050x2233
So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Steam ever closed down? It's kind of scary that the entire PC gaming world teeters on such a fragile system.
>>
Back to stealing shit.
>>
>>330618307
>So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Steam ever closed down? It's kind of scary that the entire PC gaming world teeters on such a fragile system.

If steam ever shut down then it'd be because either the PC gaming world moved onto something else and therefore it wouldn't be teetering on Steam any more, or else it would be because the entire PC gaming industry had already collapsed and Steam was dragged down with it.

So, nothing, in either case.
>>
>>330618307
GabeN said he would allow people to download their games before Steam closed down. Who cares though, we can always pirate them back anyway.
>>
>>330618307
Everyone would use the [1337]nosteam!!11 patches
Someone would probably develop an xliveless equivalent for games that heavily rely on steamworks
>>
Steam would never close down. It would be sold to another company before that happened. This is like asking what would happen if the sky fell.
>>
So what if you have hundreds of games in your library that you paid for? can they just say "Tough shit"?, and not reimburse you in any way?
>>
>>330619671
Chances are you can already play a lot of them without Steam by just deleting a file or two. Steam itself isn't DRM. Steamworks is DRM, and it wouldn't be hard to get rid of.
>>
File: steam support.jpg (47 KB, 909x173) Image search: [Google]
steam support.jpg
47 KB, 909x173
>>330618307
>>330618513
>>330618823
>>330619021
>>330619671
>>
>>330620019
>inb4 consolefags say "implying he'll actually do it"
>>
>>330619148
>>Sold to another company
That would mean handing over the financial data of millions of users to the highest bidder. People wouldn't stand for it.
>>
>>330619909
I figure they would disable the steamworks drm and make you update but I don't really see valve fucking up and going under either though
>>
>>330618307
Agreed OP. Especially since Xbox wants to takeover and dominate The PC platform.
>>
>>330620019
gaben's death will set us free
>>
>>330618307

It's not hypothetical.

Gabe is old and extremely fat, AND he privately owns Steam.

He will be dead in the next 5 or 10 years Guaranteed. Who the fuck knows what will happen after he kicks the bucket.
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
If Steam shut down, I would kms because I would never go to consoles
>>
File: Happy_Pepe.jpg (25 KB, 480x424) Image search: [Google]
Happy_Pepe.jpg
25 KB, 480x424
>>330621268
gaben will never die
>>
pretty simple, steamworks would be disabled, and the games would work simply by clicking the exe
>>
>>330618307
>closed down
>implying 100% profit leads to bankruptcy
>implying steam wouldn't be bought out by someone else
Welcome to reality, anon.
>>
>>330618307
I dont think steam users would or could let steam die. valve saved pc gaming. they forced a standard for digital content distribution. they made mods and servers/hosting a cakewalk for even the inexperienced. they trust their community and listen. theyre great to developers. theyve admitted when theyve fucked up. theyre currently pushing consoles to be truly consumer friendly.
>inb4 drone
>>
File: jewcy.webm (960 KB, 787x575) Image search: [Google]
jewcy.webm
960 KB, 787x575
>>330624147
no, just paid shill
>>
>>330625185
yup! you caught me! making all that moneeeey! mmmmmm shekelllllss!! yeah! how much are you making suckin all that diiiiiiick! lil fagboi suckin that DIIIIIIIIIICK
>>
>>330618307
>fragile
I love memes like these.
>>
>>330618307
>So hypothetically speaking, what would happen if Steam ever closed down?
The world would be a better place.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.