[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /v/'s opinion of this game and the Tales series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: header.jpg (42 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
42 KB, 460x215
What is /v/'s opinion of this game and the Tales series in general, especially the past few games and where it's heading?
>>
>>330617946
Vesperia a best
Zestiria a worst
Baba a shit
etc
>>
>>330618119
Zestiria was the first tales game I've ever played, can you explain why you think it sucks? I didn't think it was great or anything, I thought it was quite generic but it was a nice time waster for the money I guess
>>
FUCKING BUMP
>>
Out of the HD era Tales:

Vesperia=Graces>>Xillia 1 > Xillia 2 > trash > Zestiria
>>
>>330617946

Zestiria is a decent game, it's not awful like the whiners will scream but it's certainly not great. Mainly it suffers from what could have been, they had a lot of content and material that never made it into the game so many segments and elements feel unfinished or too short. Various story elements get completely dropped while some locations feel entirely uninspired and copy paste.

The characters, music, and the bit of the story that made it into the game are all wonderful though. Certainly worth playing.
>>
I haven't played a Tales game before because the DUBs fucking suck and the character art is usually bad but I installed this and thought it was cool that you can wear all kinds of accessories.

I turned the two guys into fashionable elves and I'm looking forward to playing it.
>>
>>330618261
The characters, although varied, have very few spells to go between them. The spells are unimaginative and very poorly rendered graphically. They also don't serve real purpose in the gameplay, and are either potshots with a single projectile, or a momentary AoE. Then there's Splash, which is so situational I can't begin to understand why it exists.
Four of the characters are limited to a single element, sometimes multi-elemental spells. This limits them severely, as multi-elemental spells calculate against you in the weakness table.
Enemies can IGNORE their weakness, elemental and species, just by attacking you. In the higher difficulties, they don't spend time NOT attacking you, meaning you will never actually get them into a combo.
Enemies can arbitrarily escape your combo and you have no means of predicting when, unlike Xillia, no means of fighting back, unlike Hearts R, and no means of preventing it, unlike Xillia 2.
You are railroaded into playing as Sorey or shitbitch with the smallest range and worst hitboxes and HUGE STARTUP LAG ON EVERY MOVE Rose. I'd have loved to be able to play as Alisha. At least she has permanence and priority on her moves. The reason you're railroaded into these characters is because of their variety of elements and range of faster, comboable moves. All the seraphs rely on spell cancelling or LOTS of tooling with the skill system to be able to combo.
As you increase the difficulty, your party's AI sucks increasing amounts of dick, and you lose EXP from each fight, gimping you terribly for the rest of the game. You get higher droprate, but the skill system is so obtuse and focused on rampant grinding that it's not even worth dealing with. You're basically rewarded for just playing on normal until you want to grind. That's not how a difficulty setting should work.

>>330619986
>Decent game
No.
>>
>>330617946
The first Tales game I couldn't finish.

I got to the final dungeon and didn't even care enough to get it over with. Moved on to something else in my backlog.
>>
>>330617946
Religious bullshit story. Gameplay is so-so.
>>
>>330618261
just search the archive, it's been discussed a million times https://brokenbase.wordpress.com/2015/07/27/tales-of-zestiria-import/

>>330619831
More like
Vesperia > power gap >>>>>>>>>> Xillia 2 > Graces >>>>>>>>>>> Xillia 1 => Zestiria
>>
>>330620183
Continued:

Graphically the world looks great, but everything pertaining to battle is trash. With the 30 FPS, none of the special effects have time to be processed, meaning enemies' tells are difficult to react to. You're SUPPOSED to react to the tells, too, as you have Graces-style dodging.
The shield charge from Graces returns as well, where each color of swirl around you means you gain a certain buff. None of these swirls is pronounced or very large, and all of them exist for like two frames. They also make a muted Thanks.
Not to mention their stated buffs do not FUCKING work, because the enemies don't adhere to the rules of the game on a whim.
There's no air game. Fuck this game.

Story wise - they force you to make decisions that don't matter at all. Generic NPCs are everywhere and have no signs of professional design work, and the final boss is obvious and prevalent through the whole thing. Religious elements have very little translation to real life problems, there's no actual sympathetic villain, and most of the character interactions seem self-contained and have no pertinence to the plot at large.
Also all the characters were designed by different people, and it shows. They're horribly clashing, but their personalities are refreshing in this series, if wholly one-dimensional.
Fuck Rose, she's a mary sue cunt with no battle use, but I am forced to have her in every fight.
Fuck Rose.
>>
>>330621023
There is a 60fps patch.
>>
>>330621124
Yeah, I know. I'm using it, but that doesn't change the fact that the PS3 and PS4 versions are stuck in this irredeemable state. It's pathetic.
>>
>>330620183

Yeah, it's a decent game. None of it's elements go 100% but they all have a nice start to them.

It's not the best in the series but it's not the worst, overall a decent game that as long as you aren't a super autist that freaks out over waifus or combat you'll enjoy.
>>
File: 1457480410423.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457480410423.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
A handful of games are good. No point in getting excited.
>>
>>330621342
The fact that the series has so much better to offer is what makes this game so baffling.
I don't think we should settle for "decent."
>>
>>330618261
Rose ruins a majority of the game with her "amazing" followers
HEY INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING THIS OURSELVES, I'LL JUST TELL MY MORALFAG ASSASSIN/MERCHANT FRIENDS TO DIG INTO IT INSTEAD! Let's go do stupid stuff while we wait
>>
>>330617946

Baba insulted and shamed Alisha. I will never forgive him for this.
>>
>>330621587

So? That doesn't change the fact that the game is still decent and has a few really nice qualities about it. It's not perfect but not awful, decent, worth experiencing.
>>
>>330621023
>but I am forced to have her in every fight.
I don't know what possessed Namco to be so restrictive about party setups in X2 and Zesty.
>>
>>330622606
I wouldn't say it's worth experiencing, but that's my opinion.

To me it's skippable and you wouldn't have missed out on much.
>>
>>330617946
Story - dumb
Gameplay - bad
Characters - Pretty decent
Music - Standard sakuraba Tales output
Graphics - Should really be cell shaded

I haven't touched it in about a month now
>>
>>330622808
Yeah, just download Disc 3 of the OST (the one with Go Shiina tracks). That's the only good thing to com out of Zestiria.
>>
>>330623432
One of these days that guy is going to compose for a game that's good.
>>
>>330623360
Oh Jesus, that looks like Twilight Princess.
>>
>>330620183
Yeah anon I gotcha, I will say that being my first tales game it had me intrigued but I really didn't like a lot of parts of the combat, mainly I played lailah or whatever the fire girl's name was because I thought she was the most fun and then later I just did the transformations with her or the earth check which were the most useful imo, seriously that water bow was so shit and the wind transformation attacks sucked ass

anyways, I'm more the kind of guy that usually likes to do everything in games and in rpgs I have more patience to explore everything / do a lot of battles so I guess that probably helped me a lot but even then there were some parts of the combat which were ahrd and straight up gruelling

main thing for me is just that the camera and movement system suck ass imo, you have to use "skills" or whatever the fuck to move around freely which is retarded imo, should be the case from the get go, but more than that you are always fucking forced to be locked on to an enemy, FUCKING ALWAYS

that is pure bullshit especially with aoe attacks, like you want to attack 2-5 enemies at the same time, especially since bigger encounters = better loot, more exp, but then if that one guy you're locked on suddently moves or whatever you're fucked and you miss your ability, it's so fucking annoying because it happens VERY VERY often, pretty much on every battle, not sure I explained it well but I hope you get the gyst of what I'm trying to explain
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.