[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are games like Final Fantasy VII even called role-playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: Cloud.jpg (71 KB, 1016x1226) Image search: [Google]
Cloud.jpg
71 KB, 1016x1226
Why are games like Final Fantasy VII even called role-playing games?

>No character creation or building tools
>All characters are predetermined with their own personalities, backstories, dialogue, story arcs, and goals
>Linear story, no way to alter the course of the plot in any way, always one outcome and one ending
>No meaningful dialogue options or story routes
>No freedom, you have to play in one straight line, the way the creators planned it out for you
>You're not playing the role of your own character, the defining trait of a role-playing game

The most you can say is that it has the turn-based combat of tabletop RPGs, but that's literally it.

Stop calling Final Fantasy an RPG.
>>
>>330609729
You're way too late fucker, RPG has meant "leveling and stat blocks" since the 80's.
>>
>>330609841
/thread
>>
>>330609841
But why? Why do you take the term "ROLE PLAYING GAME" and give it a completely different definition? That's like calling any game with a gun a first-person shooter game.
>>
File: jrpgs.jpg (128 KB, 686x397) Image search: [Google]
jrpgs.jpg
128 KB, 686x397
>>
>>330610050
Because DnD was the original "role-playing game." One half of the game is negotiating a set of rules involving levels and stats and equipment, the other half is collaborative story-telling, which is where the name "role-playing game" comes from. However, as computer games copied the formula of the first half, they retained the genre name despite ignoring the relevant second half of the equation. Hence the vestigial genre title.
>>
is this a new meme
>>
>>330610930
No, people have been pointing this out for years, if not decades.
>>
>go to Subway
>tell sandwich artist I want a Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki
>they ask me if I want a WSOCT or a JSOCT
>ask what that means
>a Western Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki and a Japanese Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki
>out of curiosity, order a JSWOCT
>it's a bowl of soup
>tell them that's not a Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki
>they tell me it's a JSOCT and demand I accept it for what it is

Why is this allowed?
>>
Different terms can have different definitions depending on the context.

Example: faggot. You're probably not a faggot in the sense that you're gay, but you are a faggot in this context.
>>
>>330610050
Well, you play the role of as a lead in someone else's story.
>>
>>330609729
because the original definition of rpg was in only 3 elements.
character progression(in stats)
inventory management
and any way to be able to carry on your journey, through saving or through progress passwords
>>
>>330611279
That's a bullshit cop-out and by that logic, every game where you play as a character is a role-playing game.

No, a role-playing game means you play the role of a character you create.
>>
>>330611128
He has a point, though. Final Fantasy doesn't involve roleplaying, so calling it an RPG is inaccurate. Most of us accept it and know that's not really what we mean when we say RPG, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
>>330611279
That makes almost every game an RPG.
>>330611353
b8
>>
OP NEWFAG CONFIRMED.
>>
File: j.jpg (54 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
j.jpg
54 KB, 500x353
>>
>>330610050

Because it's changed over the years. Are you literally this fucking retarded? Drink bleach, nigger.
>>
File: rangers.gif (428 KB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
rangers.gif
428 KB, 200x183
>Some Final Fantasy games don't even have the turn-based combat, the only RPG-like distinction it had in the first place
>People still call them RPGs
>>
>>330612330
>it changed because it changed
You didn't answer the question.
>>
>>330612429
What? I know turn-based combat is common in RPGs, but I've never heard anyone argue it as a requirement. Is Morrowind not an RPG?
>>
>>330612659
It's an RPG because it has the role-playing element.

Final Fantasy (most of them at least) doesn't have the role-playing element but it had the turn-based combat that tabletop RPGs had, which gave it the distinction as an RPG, even though it wasn't technically a role-playing game.
>>
>>330611067
Your analogy is fucking shit.
>>
>>330609729
>fetus
>>
>>330612781
Stat sheets, equipment, and leveling are still there, though.
>>
Why do JRPGs hate letting you create a character? Not that makes WRPGs superior or inferior, but it bothers me more than it should. Then again the ARPG games and Xenoblade Chronicles has it so maybe they are and I'm just not playing them.
>>
>>330609729

JRPGs are their own subgenre. Anything you say doesn't change the fact that they are subgenre of RPGs.
>>
>>330613073
Depends what the game is. Japs pioneered CRPGs but then began to favor the storytelling of lite RPGs as consumers moved their games from their computers to their living rooms.
>>
>>330613073
Cultural differences. We like to express our individuality in everything we do, whether it has a point or not. The Japanese don't give as much of a shit about that.
>>
>>330613236
It seems like its a feature lost on any JRPG from 2000 to 2012, its still a rare thing to see in modern jrpgs too
>>
>>330609729
it's a JRPG
>>
>>330609729
does a game of DnD stop being an RPG if you get pre-made character sheets and your DM is a railroading prick?
>>
>>330613423
Depends really. The genre has broadened to the point where region isn't indicative of content anymore.
>>
>>330613548
Is he railroading you to the point that you have no control over your character's thoughts, speech and actions? Then yeah, you aren't roleplaying anymore, you're watching your DM write a novel.
>>
>>330613236
>Japs pioneered CRPGs
Ultima and Wizardry did that.
Neither of which are Japanese.
>>
>>330614279
>implying Rogue isn't the true OG
>>
Am I the only one who
>>
>>330614669
That pioneered its own genre moreso than CRPGs as a whole.
It is pretty tight though, I'll give you that.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.