[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you fags name even a single game that is artistically significant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 853x1078) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 853x1078
Can you fags name even a single game that is artistically significant?
>>
>>330567524
Fallout New Vegas
>>
>>330567887
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCK NO
>>
>>330567524
why is it that there has never been an Iphone filename following a post that wasn't shitposting?
>>
Can you name how many breads you have eaten in your life?
>>
>>330567524
No.
>>
File: 1zgtgl0.jpg (71 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
1zgtgl0.jpg
71 KB, 1024x640
>>330567524
Define what you mean "artistically significant". Do you mean historical impact it had on the art community? Do you mean artistic weight or value (and if yes, we should probably also define what we mean by artistic value too)?

Anyway, if you are looking for a game that actually does not look completely silly even for a person mostly versed in classical culture, Pathologic is one of your few options.
>>
>>330568173
>Do you mean historical impact it had on the art community? Do you mean artistic weight or value
A bit of both but definitely more the former.
>>
idc desu
>>
I think Dwarf Fortress, Pac Man, and some other games actually got in a museum.
>>
>>330567524

Just like novels, movies or paintings, the answer doesn't matter because art is subjective and in the eye of the beholder. It's all based on what you consider art and nobody's answer will be the same.

Or, in other words, you're just going to call someone a faggot and disagree with them no matter what the answer because you've already decided no video game can be art and won't consider any answer to the contrary.

This thread is fucking stupid.
>>
>>330567524

if you value things by their "artistic significance" it means you're a fucking hipster retard and a sheep

morrowind
>>
>>330568469
Too bad they aren't art.
>>330568471
You didn't provide any?
>>
Silent hill 2 no doubt
>>
>>330568631
A shame that it's the only one that can come close, eh?
>>
Pathologic
>>
>>330568245
>A bit of both but definitely more the former.
Well, considering that A) all non-classical art is basically completely fucked and as a result, there is not much of an functional modern art community to begin with, and B) video games have been only acknowledged my mainstream institutions as anything else than childish entertainment, and as such communicated very little with culture outside of pop-culture, that is going to be very difficult.

In other words: games haven't been around for very long, and they have been only acknowledged as relevant medium very, very recently. Plus, modern art does not work on the same cumulative principle as classical art used to, so the very idea of one work being particularly influential does not work very well anymore.
As a result of these two factors, you probably won't find a game that had any significant artistic impact. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY work of any media that had a significant artistic impact over the last forty years.

As for the other aspect: artistic value: again we run headlong into the problem of modern art lacking any half-decent value system. We would either have to dig up one from the past models, or make an entirely new one.
Again, though, I'd argue Icepick Lodge games (Pathologic most strongly) as examples of games you would not have be ashamed of playing in front of almost any classical art snob.
>>
>>330568818
>games haven't been around for very long, and they have been only acknowledged as relevant medium very, very recently.
Film had Citizen Kane by 1950. It's 50 years since Pong and games have yet to reach that level.
>>
MGS 2
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
>>
>>330568818
>>330568956
>Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY work of any media that had a significant artistic impact over the last forty years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVnpktJtOms
>>330569017
No, no, and no.
>>
>>330568543
if you like morrowind it means you're a fucking hipster retard and a sheep
>>
>>330568683
Seriously why are all games so focused on wither just being fun and childish or a linear cinematic walking experience

I seriously wanna see and make a game where the interactivity itself of vidya is used to bring out emotions out of the player
>>
File: 1453939889879.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1453939889879.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>330567524
Niggery nigger, you don't even know how black you are if you think you can objectively define art. Go back rioting to Chicago.
>>
>>330569079
Either*
>>
>>330568471
>This thread is fucking stupid.
The thread isn't stupid, your answer however, really boggles the mind. You do realize you have said quite literally NOTHING that could be relevant or valuable to anyone (except to you and your poor self-esteem), right?

Artistic relativism isn't a solution, or a smart or wise or in any way worth-while position. It's a petty excuse and attempt to make your own lack of argument into a moral virtue.
You don't want to debate art, because it's a pretty tricky subject matter? Fine. But don't pretend your refusal to discuss something is actually something to be proud of.
>>
>>330567524
Haydn's 45th Symphony is artistically significant.
>>
I've never played a single Legend of Zelda game in my life, but from what I've seen, those.
>>
>>330569184
Give me examples of significant pieces of art, and I'll prove you how wrong you are.
>>
>>330569193
A whole lot of Haydn's symphonies are significant, even if they're not subtitled or in the top 100 classical pieces.
>>
>>330569217
Definitely not. They're way too repetitive to be taken for serious art, and they're a major reason why video games aren't considered art by many people.
>>
>>330569079
This makes me mad
Are designers this dense
>>
>>330567524

Dreams by media molecule, it even supports 3D printing of in-game objects, plus it doesn't even use pixels to render images

Pretty sure it'll still end up in
>how many dicks can we render in a frame at an acceptable frame rate

Once it's out though
>>
>>330568956
>Film had Citizen Kane by 1950
Yeah, sure. But then again, film emerged - and most of it's theory was established - at the end of classical art theory. Things have changed.

>>330569054
That is an interesting example, thanks. Though I would argue that the impact of Britwistle's work has been largely limited to cinema soundtracks in the long run and hardly can compare to the sort of impact say, Liszt or Tchaikovsky had in the same art field less than a century ago. Still: I will give you that that is a good example I had not thought of myself.
>>
Traditional art is entirely passive. The creator makes something. The audience views or listens to it, and judges the work as a product entirely of the creator. There is no interaction between the creator and audience with regard to the creation of the work. Video games are an interactive medium, therefore for any video game to reach an artistic level they must include the audience as part of the creation of the experience. As a result, they are looked down upon by critics of traditional art.

That and video games have become popular as mass corporatization of arts and entertainment took off. There are very few artistically relevant works that have been produced since the 80s, with most traditional critics circle-jerking over everything made earlier, because corporate profits trump artistic relevance.
>>
>>330569297
>and I'll prove you how wrong you are.
You won't: you actually already proved yourself impotent of ANY argument in your very first post. Re-read what you posted: either you will deny what you claimed previously, or you will not have anything of any convincing or argumentative power.
I'm not going to waste my time providing examples to watch you just negate them like a little child. You can pick up any historical work of art yourself and then give it a try. If you have an argument, you can prove it on any example you can think off, your argument surely must be universal.
>>
Realistically, probably just pacman, tetris, DOOM, Street Fighter 2, and GTA 3
Significant sure, as they all have had a permanent impact on the video game industry.
Though artistically significant would imply that video games are more than just pieces of software to entertain children, who then become failures as adults, and to make money off of said failures of adults and children.
>>
>>330569686
That is so hilariously not true it makes me wonder if you people post this kind of shit just to troll. You can't be this stupid.
>>
LSD
>>
"Artistically significant"? Probably none. Art? All of them. Everything is art.
>>
>>330569686
>There are very few artistically relevant works that have been produced since the 80s
1. Kaija Saariaho - Violin Concerto
2. John Luther Adams - In the White Silence
3. Magnus Lindberg - Clarinet Concerto
4. Friedrich Cerha - Spiegel
5. Harrison Birtwistle - Night's Black Bird
>>
significance is totally subjective but "i have no mouth and i must scream"
>>
>>330567524
Can you name a piece of art that is significant?
>>
>>330569686
What's notable is that more music and art is attempting to stay relevant by insisting to incorporate audience interaction. This trend doesn't seem to be borne out of an advancement of the art style as much as a pandering to activate the attention of an increasingly distracted audience.
>>
File: zor1.png (6 KB, 406x256) Image search: [Google]
zor1.png
6 KB, 406x256
>>330567524
Can you name any art that wasn't produced to earn income?
>>
define artistically significant
>>
>>330569434
how do i get into Haydn
short pieces prefered pls
>>
Ask again in like, 20 years.
By then something like alien invader or zelda 1 will have aged enough to be considered "fine art"
>>
>>330570030
>literally who
>literally who
>literally who
>literally who
>literally who
The truly relevant pieces of art are the ones that remain in the mainstream consciousness for decades, if not centuries, not hipster trash that will be forgotten a few years later.
>>
>>330570226
>2deepforyou image with all the paintings empty.png
>>
>>330570218
Haydn wrote 106 symphonies. I [spolier]bought[/spoiler] the full cycle by the Philharmonica Hungrica and Dorati and started listening to them top to bottom in my car. You get a real feel for it just by immersing yourself in it. Pick a low number, a medium number, and a high number. My faves are 31, 51, 49, 22, and 5 so far.
>>
>>330570649
thankxs
>>
>>330569184

people that type a fuckload of words that barely say anything are god damn annoying
>>
Aren't pieces of art generally more significant to their own medium?
I can't say I know of many paintings that are significant to music, besides album covers. Video games are more significant in that aspect. Video games have also influenced movies directly, movies like wreck it Ralph, and indirectly, movies like edge of tomorrow.
If a requirement is being in an exhibit then video games have done that, the Smithsonian has a video game art exhibit.
>>
>>330570827
>people that type a fuckload of words that barely say anything are god damn annoying
You not being able to understand what I said does not mean I have said "barely anything".
>>
The only thing that would get close is Super Mario Bros
And only because is the only game nealry everybody in the industry remembers, even people that don't play know about SMB
>>
>>330570831
There are a good amount of musical pieces that are directly informed by visual media, including compositions about paintings, sculptures, and city skylines, in addition to programmatic pieces on wars, protests, history, and people.
Respectively referring to the list above:
Hindemith: Mathis der Maler
Kerry Turner: Bronze Triptych
Copland: Music for a Great city
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7
Sibelius: Finlandia
Husa: Music for Prague, 1968
Copland: Lincoln Portrait
>>
>>330571363
I'm really good at killing threads.
>>
>>330567524
Metal Gear Solid 4 ^^
>>
>>330571363
I didn't say there aren't any, I just said I haven't heard of any. I'm sure there's an obscure indie album about the Mona Lisa.
At the same time most video games have music in them, mostly composed specifically for that game. There are even live orchestras that play video game music, like there was one in my city playing music from Zelda not too long ago. Whole genres of music were created from video games influences, the Protomen is a good example of its influence.
Besides just that every part of a video game is created from an artistic perspective. Music is written and composed by various musicians, some of which who also do music for movies. Characters and environments are created by concept artists. Stories and dialogue are created by writers, which is then presented by voice actors and mocap.
>>
>>330572446
>At the same time most video games have music in them, mostly composed specifically for that game. There are even live orchestras that play video game music, like there was one in my city playing music from Zelda not too long ago. Whole genres of music were created from video games influences, the Protomen is a good example of its influence.
You don't know shit about music, please shut up.
>>
>>330567524
zelda: majora's mask
silent hill 2
mario bros. 3
doom
>>
>>330571984
ZOOM INS AND EPIC MUSIC ARE TRULY ART
>>
Journey?
>>
>no one said undertale
stupid fags cant even tell good art
>>
>>330568471
>art is subjective and in the eye of the beholder
look at this peasant opinion right there.
>>
>>330573160
I have a feeling Undertale was an answer in everyone's mind in this thread, but hate it or love it nobody wanted to start the shitstorm.
>>
>>330567524
GOAT quartets
>>
ico
shadow of colossus
>>
File: kermemeit.png (262 KB, 489x633) Image search: [Google]
kermemeit.png
262 KB, 489x633
>>330567887
>Fallout New Vegas
this most be bait
>>
>>330567524
MGS1
Sonic CD
Symphony of the Night
>>
>>330567524
Mario Paint
>>
File: CkWd8XD.jpg (71 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
CkWd8XD.jpg
71 KB, 500x688
>>330572626
You sure showed me
>>
>>330567524
MGS2
>>
Gone Home
>>
>>330570218
Listen to his string quartets. All of them are great.
>>
mario bros. 3
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.