[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You'd think something like Donkey Kong would have been a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: VlafPAeysgOmUxb-800x450-noPad.jpg (95 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
VlafPAeysgOmUxb-800x450-noPad.jpg
95 KB, 800x450
You'd think something like Donkey Kong would have been a better IP for NextLevelGames to work on. They already put DK in Punch-Out and Kremlings in Mario Strikers. Fuck, one of those Tiki things even cameoed in Luigi's Mansion 2.

Fucking ANYTHING but Metroid
>>
Nintendo doesn't care.
>>
>Sticker Star is bland
>Federation Force is bland
Does Tanabe lack imagination?
>>
>>330506659
To be fair, Sticker Star's blandness was Miyamoto's fault

the shitty gameplay and pretty much everything else was Tanabe's fault. It was a group effort to make that game awful.
>>
>>330506659
>Federation Force is bland
Hey, ship me your copy, bro! Since you've already played through it.
>>
>>330505774
Let's not pretend Metroid is this important franchise where every other franchise is allowed to have meh games, but metroid isn't. If Mario fans can live with Pinball Land, Zelda fans can live with teh CDi games, DKfans can live with the Donkey Konga games, Kirby fans can live with Squeak Squad, Yoshi fans can live with the Artoon games, Pokemon fans can live with the various bad spinoffs, and if FE fans can live with #FE, then Metroid fans should be able to live this good game.

Also, fuck you if you think Retro should make Metroid game. They need to make their own IP.
>>
Just so we're clear, the only reason people hate this is the art style, right? Because there's no way people can tell me with a straight face people haven't been begging for a Federation Force game for years.

If this game was on Wii U with "serious" graphics there would be no faux paux, right? If that is your only genuine complaint, I think you need to swallow your pride and give it a genuine chance.

If I'm mistaken, I would like to hear why people hate this if there's a different reason.
>>
>>330505774
I'd dig a 3D DK by Next Level Games
>>
>>330507430
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PjeCuT-GWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHB6VDgU-Bk
Thoughts on the actual gameplay?
>>
>>330507556
They walk slow
>>
>KT: To be honest, while I'm a game maker, I don't play games that much. I don't know that many games. Who knows, maybe there are some concepts that overlap. [There's a pause in conversation] Ah! But there is one thing: I love Splatoon. Now that's interesting. Even mid-development, it was already fun. The artwork, music, it doesn't even feel that much like a Nintendo game. My three daughters all take turns playing it all the time.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/metroid-prime-is-different-made-for-the-new/
>>
File: 239568674.png (943 KB, 1759x577) Image search: [Google]
239568674.png
943 KB, 1759x577
Looks alright, certainly better than E3
>>
>>330507430
Better graphics and artstyle would have made people treat it more kindly but there's plenty of other reasons.

Big one is that it's a spinoff when there has been a proper Metroid in many years, and many Metroid fans are paranoid as fuck and figure that if another Metroid isn't explicitly announced then there's simply not going to be another or something.

Personally, I think it just looks bland as fuck because they're using Prime's slow ass gameplay and combat but for an action driven game instead of an exploration driven one, which is a dumb move. So basically, it looks like it would be better if it played even less like Metroid.
>>
File: 1457497834273.png (982 KB, 1759x577) Image search: [Google]
1457497834273.png
982 KB, 1759x577
>>330508040
Dude, that's shopped
>>
>>330508213
wow it looks so much nicer with the smaller head
>>
>>330506932
All Miyamoto said was not to make a TTYD clone. Tanabe decided to strip the RPG elements from the game.
>>
>>330507556
It looks a little slow, and I can't say I care for big mech soccer, and I audibly guffawed at the design of the Fed troopers (until the direct I had no idea that the troopers you play as were in mech suits), but if this is fairly cheap I am willing to give it an actual shot.

Here's my history with Metroid, if it helps:

>The original NES Metroid was "dad's" game, never got to play it
>Bought Metroid II used but never beat it
>Super was a game all my friends had but I never owned it myself until I was about 16/17 and it came out on the Wii
>Played Prime but never touched the rest until Prime Trilogy came out on Wii U
>Fusion was one of the only GBA games I had at launch and beat like a hundred times
>Dad got me Zero Mission and it's probably my most played GBA game of all time, the only time in any Metroid game I've ever actually gone in hardcore with the <15% runs and shit
>Other M I bought for drinking game fun

>>330508165
>Metroid fans are paranoid as fuck

I'll give you that one, friend. My two Super Metroid obsessed friends go fucking mental if you even whisper this game's name in the same room as them.

I can understand the disappointment from this not being a "real" Metroid game, but I don't understand how they can flat out ignore the other news articles where they said a "real" game was coming soon, just not on Wii U.

Unless that was bullshit? I'm not really invested in Metroid, so I can't say I follow it to the letter.
>>
>In the next part of the video, it shows how there’s much more involved in the missions aside from taking out foes. For example, you’ll explore ancient ruins, defend important facilities, or occasionally ditch your suit in order to infiltrate the enemy base.
>“There’s one mission where you have a railway with carts on top of it, and your mission will be to push that from beginning to end,” he said. “The point of this mission will be to avoid the magnetic force against you to get the carts onward to the goal, and there you have the Space Pirates spawn to add to that, to be in your way.”

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/kensuke-tanabe-metroid-prime-federation-force
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/07/metroid-prime-federation-force-supports-circle-pad-pro-gyro-sensor-controls/
>>
>>330508543
>All Miyamoto said was not to make a TTYD clone
He gave them two basic rules, one of which was no original characters, which is what made the game bland. The lack of RPG elements wasn't what made the game bland.
>>
>>330508543
Don't oversimplify it like that, man. He said not to make it a TTYD clone, he also said it didn't need a story and that they shouldn't make new characters.
>>
>>330508583
Retro was the one who actually designed the Golems according to Tanabe
>>
>>330508583
>the other news articles where they said a "real" game was coming soon, just not on Wii U.
They didn't say they were working on one, they just said if one were to begin production right now, it'd most likely end up on the system coming after Wii U
>>
File: 1457493745204.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1457493745204.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>
>>330507556
It's way too slow and the combat was never the intersting part of the Prime games, so this whole thing seems horribly misguided.

Also what the hell is with this music?
>>
>>330508656
>>330508695
>vast and rich category of characters that have only appeared onces, or never have appeared in an RPG before from 64, Sunshine, Galaxys, adn the 3D Games. Not Miyamoto's fault Tanabe said he could think of Toads. The game could have teken place on Dinosaur Island or whatever.

It never needed deviant art OCs to be good.
>>
>>330508656
I'm pretty sure by "no original characters," he just wanted to avoid the SPM situation where the game was populated by a bunch of floating squares.
>>
File: metroidthreads.png (1 MB, 1281x1855) Image search: [Google]
metroidthreads.png
1 MB, 1281x1855
>>330508583
Nintendo's been kind of quiet about whether or not there's another Metroid in production. Tanabe said there wasn't another Prime game in production and that the next one would likely have to be on the NX since Wii U would be dead by the time it finished if they started now. There was an interview with Takahashi implying that something was in the works for traditional Metroid back in 2014.

So basically there's reason to believe one could be in development but not a lot of solid statements.
>>
>>330508165
It's not just Metroid fans who act this way. This is a big part why game companies typically don't announce spinoffs like this, the fans will react negatively. This is the big reason why Bethesda held off on announcing Fallout Shelter until they were ready to announce 4.

>“If we tried to do this last year without announcing what Bethesda Game Studios was doing [Fallout 4] and said, ‘Oh we’re doing a game and it’s on mobile and it’s called Fallout Shelter,’ we’d probably get lynched, right?’.There would be pitchforks at the gate. ‘That’s not the Fallout we asked for, you bastards!’ But doing it this way, they’re like, ‘I’m getting what I want and oh, by the way, while I wait here’s this other free thing that’s fun to play.”

The lesson Nintendo should take from this? Don't arrogantly try to pass off something that doesn't resemble something hungry fans want.
>>
>>330508914
It's apparently a collaboration of the composer of the Prime games and Next Level Games composers IIRC
>>
>>330509108
To be honest I tend to think Tanabe can't tell the difference between the Prime games and Federation Force and what made the Prime games so great
>>
>>330507114
Sent ;-)
>>
>>330509108
>arrogantly

I hate how you guys act like merely announcing and wanting to sell games is arrogant or spiteful.
>>
>>330509128
I really don't like it. It sounds like some kind of generic Star Wars thing and not Metroid.
>>
>NoA can't market for shit
>Dudebros don't like Nintendo
>Kids prefer "gritty" shooters
>Japan doesn't care
>Metroid fans hate it

This game was doomed since the start
>>
>>330509068
The unfortunate thing is that this is how Nintendo has always been, motherfuckers would not tell their dying grandmother the secret to health if she was begging for help and banging on their door. Not saying that makes it okay, but still. I don't know, maybe it's because I have a lax view on game development, but I have no reason to doubt that "something" is being worked on as well, just not announced yet. At the very least, I refuse to believe that this company is so incompetent that they think this is a fair trade, or at the very least maybe Metroid just doesn't sell enough. Who knows. I can completely understand people's frustration, I was just curious if it was mainly the art style.

>>330509108
>>330509275
>Arrogantly
To be COMPLETELY fair, the entire segment on the recent direct SCREAMED "you WILL understand" and "quit fucking crying and give this shit a chance you fuckers". Even I was taken aback by how they handled it, I half expected Reggie to come out and just say "deal with it, you fucking children".
>>
>>330509664
>KT: I was quite surprised by the backlash, because as far as from a development perspective, I’ve been putting a lot of emphasis into game play and the way the game feels when you play it — as well as the creation of the universe to be within the Prime series, but at the same time I get the feeling that people are talking a little too much about the visuals they have seen through videos they have seen so far. Again, it will be different once you have the hands-on experience.
>While there is a lot of backlash as you pointed out, this a perfect chance for me to turn the table around and get people to start liking it. If people are already paying attention to it, there’s always room to get that to work in a positive way – to get interested in a nice way about the game.
>KT: I do feel that this is a similar reaction to when we first announced Wind Waker from Zelda. Eventually people started to understand what the game was about, and I still believe that there is still going to be something similar in that respect here.
>KT: First off, I’d love people out there experience the game, to see how the game feels when you actually play it, not just by looking at how the graphics look.
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/kensuke-tanabe-on-metroid-prime-federation-force/page-2
>>
File: 1445486070975.gif (1 MB, 350x220) Image search: [Google]
1445486070975.gif
1 MB, 350x220
>>330509856
>I was quite surprised by the backlash
Didn't the Amiibo Festival devs say the exact same thing?

This is what being tone deaf is
>>
>>330509980
The amiibo Festival developers literally made the game because
1. They thought fans would be happy
2. Because they thought Animal Crossing amiibo would be cute
3. To have an excuse to make Animal Crossing amiibo
>>
>>330509856
>first announced Wind Waker from Zelda
There it is again. Apparently Nintendo keeps forgetting that people went from complaining about the way it looked, to how it played. That the entire game was boring, that exploring had no purpose outside of a few key islands and the fucking filler that was the tri-force hunt.

Wow Tanabe, way to be completely arrogant and forget that people still hated that shit and will still hate your shit because not only does it LOOK like shit, even the people that have had hands on think it PLAYS like shit and constantly skrit around it.

>did you have fun?
>I don't know

I'm happy to know that Nintendo think we are a bunch of idiots, it lets me know never to buy from them again.
>>
>>330509664
I want to respect developers who say
>shut the fuck up, I'm making the game I want to make
Because good on them, they have a vision and they want to see it through.

But man is it frustrating when that vision is part of something that already exists and already has expectations. So while I'd like to respect developers, fuck them, they keep runing shit. It's like DmC. Or Other M. Or Sticker Star. Or Sticker Star again.
>>
What's bothering me is that Tanabe said he's been working on Fedforce for 7 fucking years

That means he took a portion of Next Level games, while the rest were working on Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

Did they merge afterwards to finish fedforce is the second portion doing something else?
>>
>>330510223
I mean Wind Waker at least had critical reception and sold a lot. People like it. I don't know why, personally I think it's complete shit, but people like it.

What I don't understand is why he didn't point to Metroid Prime as an example. I remember people frothing at the mouth at the very idea of it, but it won people over hard. And it's directly relevant unlike Wind Waker.
>>
>>330510223
>I'm happy to know that Nintendo think we are a bunch of idiots
Well you are an idiot.
>>
File: this belongs in metroid.jpg (276 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
this belongs in metroid.jpg
276 KB, 1280x720
More like SevenYearsGames
>>
File: ccip_wc_logo.jpg (116 KB, 600x471) Image search: [Google]
ccip_wc_logo.jpg
116 KB, 600x471
>Federation Force will be playable at Wondercon

What's the worst that's going to happen?
>>
>>330506932

>Miyamoto

All Miyamoto did was ask that the Mario Universe be used more after seeing the absolute trash character designs in Super Paper Mario

Tanabe wanted to get rid of EXP from the very beginning as well as made the decision to only feature toads as NPC's and change it from being an RPG
>>
>>330510363
When did he say that?

In the Direct he clarified that they tried it during the DSi era, then dropped it, then picked it back up again after Luigi's Mansion. Why do people keep saying that he worked on this for 7 straight years?
>>
>>330510417
I just don't see the issue, and never will, I suppose. More fun for me.
>>
>>330509856
They need to release the demo on the eShop, but you know they're secretly too afraid to do it. Part of me thinks they're pushing this so hard because they finally seem to get people are getting sick of their shit.

>>330509980
I'm with you. Every time Nintendo pulls this shit, I get more and more shocked how much they refuse to acknowledge anything. Actively ignoring complaints against the treehouse and amiibo shortage is the most unbelievable thing I've ever seen a company do.

>>330510241
Yeah, I'm all for standing your ground, but if your ground is muddy and shit-covered you should probably at least take some of the criticism to heart.

>>330510417
The shittiest part about this is I like the golem design because I'm a sucker for hard edges and shit like that, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it's... This.
>>
>>330509980
>>330510148

I'm not sure what's worse. Arrogance in thinking that fans will buy anything thrown at them, or just complete and utter incompetence and not knowing what your market wants.

At least the latter means they still do things with passion in mind and just fucked it up by not thinking things through all the way.
>>
>>330510682
It's a spinoff that's been in development for 7 years
What's there to think about? Delay the game even longer until a main game comes out? By then a new console would be out
>>
>>330511170
He was talking abut Amiibo Festival
>>
>There’s no definitive plan or anything. It’s just me off the top of my head. I know how hated the character of Tingle is in the U.S. I know that people cannot stand Tingle. But to me that challenge is: Could I take this character that is so reviled in the West and just [do] a complete turnaround and make him a beloved, fun character? The idea of that really just gets me going. I know we have made a Tingle game in the past, but maybe at some point down the road.
>It’s like love. It’s like romance: You meet someone and you’re like, ‘Oh god, I can’t stand that person.’ And then three weeks later, you’re madly in love — it’s that turn, that quick whip, that motivates [me] a little bit. If we we ever get a really successful Tingle game, maybe we will have like a big Tingle statue out there [points to Nintendo's E3 booth outside the room's walls].

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/06/nintendos_kensuke_tanabe_wants_to_make_tingle_popular_in_the_west

Tanabe lost his mind years ago
>>
It can't be helped

Might aswell enjoy the game and pretend it's not a Metroid game

It's going to be a good game shrouded in shitposting because of the name
>>
>>330510368
Also Wind Waker took advantage of it's artstyle to make characters more emotive and it still at least kept a semblance of adventure.
Federation Force's style takes away the atmosphere Metroid has had for years and none of the characters benefit from it
>>
>>330507181
I have never liked Retro's take on Metroid, but I'd rather see an enhanced version of Prime ported to N3DS than another Other M
>>
>>330507430
Pro-tip: the only people begging for a Federation Force game were Prime-babbys who aren't even actual Metroid fans Zero Mission a best, faggots
>>
>>330510223
Just wait until the game bombs and Tanabe puts all the blame on NLG and tells Nintendo to stop supporting them because they "ruined his masterpiece"
>>
They should just come out and give us a modernized Metroid 2 remake. Nevermind all this convoluted Prime/Federation shit. A Metroid 2 remake would be more in the realm of what Metroid fans want than whatever ideas the current people behind Metroid can come up with.
>>
>>330512114
While I doubt he'll do that, it honestly does seem to be more their fault than his

NLG were the ones who made Luigi's Mansion 2 more cartoony and mission-based, so who didn't see the writing on the wall when it was revealed they had plans on doing a Metroid game?
>>
>>330512239
I'd fucking love that except the majority of the Metroid fans haven't even played M2. Also, it should be more gritty like Super, not like Zero Mission/AM2R
>>
>>330511170
Now? Nothing, the game is complete

Then? They could have taken a second look at things, make sure that gameplay wasn't an obvious piece of shit. But when you make a game, that's hard to tell and focus groups are a piece of shit that don't work.

>>330511347
Speaking of being out of touch. The hatred for Tingle was short lived, most seeing him as just a creepy stereotype. The REAL hatred wasn't for the character, it was his role. He was in charge of the fucking maps in WW, that was the real turn off point that made people hate him.

Then Tingle's rosy rupee land was announced and while people didn't like the idea of a Tingle game at first, the mere fact that they said it wasn't being localized set off a land slide of people begging for it to be.

Fox and the Grapes and all that. So while Tanabe is right with his statement, he completely missed the natural turn around that happened. He didn't have to do anything and hasn't looked into it again. He's more concerned with MAKING people like him by his own means and not people coming to their own conclusions.

Thus is the problem with Modern Nintendo. "Let's tell you what you should like" and people are finally telling them no and they wonder why there is a backlash against them.
>>
>>330512516
>the majority of the Metroid fans haven't even played M2
Well, that's an even better reason to remake it, since it seems to be one of the few games that's still treated as canon.

Maybe get a small team to remake Metroid 1 (again) and Metroid 2 both using the DKCR/TF engine.
>>
What sucks is that i really like the gameplay and custmization and the artstyle as far as NLG goes

But the game is going to be looked at as a failure because of what they chose to name it and that Tanabe want's to shove it down people's throat that it's a main game

That fucker is also going to make sure that Next Level Games takes the blame while he scurries off to ruin Paper Mario for the second time
>>
>>330514007
>That fucker is also going to make sure that Next Level Games takes the blame
That's probably because it's their fault as >>330512321 said
>>
>>330514007
Speaking about customization I feel that they haven't addressed it enough.
I think they need a weapon highlight/montage trailer
>>
>>330512321
>>330514086

Tanabe chose them

He knew about the artstyle they were familiar with

Also being Mission based isnt a problem

I don't know why people pretend it is, especially since you still fucking explore
>>
>>330514086
>>330512321

Next Level Games balances their cartoony with more expression and interractions, which worked in both Punch Out, Strikers and Dark Moon

Metroid just wasnt a very good fit

They shouldve have been chosen for this

It's like if they were making the Animal Crossing team make the next Metroid

It shouldnt have happened

But it can't be helped
>>
>>330515031
>>330515224
To be fair, Retro Studios was a younger studio and they were able to leave their comfort zones when going from Metroid Prime to DKCR
>>
>>330509664
>To be COMPLETELY fair, the entire segment on the recent direct SCREAMED "you WILL understand" and "quit fucking crying and give this shit a chance you fuckers". Even I was taken aback by how they handled it, I half expected Reggie to come out and just say "deal with it, you fucking children".

You're really reading too far, here. They're a business, they have to stand by their product. They aren't going to disown it because some people are mad, and they aren't going to delay the game into oblivion to make sweeping changes when a new system is right around the corner.

All they're saying is "we want you to try this thing and not judge it too quickly" and I don't think that's the same as calling everyone sniveling brats or whatever.
>>
>>330507181
What's wrong with Squeak Squad? I think you mean Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, whatever Curse, Dream Course, and the five puzzle games.
>>
Tanabe is doing all of this so Sakamoto-senpai can become the hero again.
>>
>>330507181

Do Yoshi fans even exist anymore?
>>
>>330511948
Zero mission led to Other M, faglord.

>>330507430
People were begging for some sort of GF marine games back when Metroid was getting games. They wanted something like ODST, not mii-looking chibi bullshit that looks like a DSiWare piece of shovelware.
>>
>>330516108

>Forgetting about Woolly World
>>
>>330516267
>Zero mission led to Other M, faglord.
Oh go suck a dick, Metroid (the actual games, not Prime-shit) was dead in the water after the shitshow that was Fusion. Zero Mission gave the actual fans hope of another decent game
>>
I want to support Next Level Games in this tough time, but im not really into shooters
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.