[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked this up used for 8 canuckbucks. It'll be the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: Devil_Summoner_Soul_Hackers.jpg (849 KB, 1500x1335) Image search: [Google]
Devil_Summoner_Soul_Hackers.jpg
849 KB, 1500x1335
Just picked this up used for 8 canuckbucks. It'll be the first I play in the series, what am I in for?
>>
fucking rad-ass 90s RPG, kickass jams and hot demon bitches all up on your dick

fuck man go fuckin play it it's fuckin great shit
>>
>>330481771
Great music, below average plot, and just overall really archaic and dated to the point its more annoying than enjoyable.

Its just not a good game by today's standards. SJ, for example, is a lot better.
>>
Remember, Nemissa is sexy.
>>
Does this have good dungeons?
>>
Fuck yeah it is. Though the UI is a bit dated.
>>
>>330482247
It's still perfectly fine game and the low difficulty makes it better as a starting point.
>>
>>330481771
The fastest SMT game you'll ever play. Shit feels great and the music is top-notch. Got more ghost-buster vibes than cyberpunk but you'll love the atmosphere either way.
>>
A great game.

However probably not the best place to start in SMT since a lot of it is kind of built up on knowledge of mechanics from other games in the series.

The biggest thing that will throw you for a loop if you didn't figure out is that you have two types of currency: Yen and Magnetite (the M symbol). Magnetite is for summoning demons, and it drains magnetite to keep them summoned. If you run out of Mag, their health drains and they can eventually die of this.

In this game, demons also have a personality system. This isn't really explained until you get a few hours into the game, and it was kind of annoying to me. Basically, every Demon has a personality, and a meter of how loyal they are. The higher the meter, the less likely they are to disobey you or even straight up leave.

The personalities are what that demon likes to do in battle. Doing that thing will raise it's loyalty, as well as giving it gifts. The alcohol will change demons personallities temporarily, which can be really useful.

Wild - Physical attack (just hit attack)
Sly - Offensive Magic
Kind - Healing and defensive magic
Dumb - Completely unpredictable. Just hit "Go" and they do whatever they want.
Calm - The "smartest" move. Usually this is exploiting a weakness, healing when low, or something like that.

The protagonist CANNOT learn any magic. Don't waste your points on Magic or Intelligence with him.

Nemissa is pretty much all about magic, but can use physical attacks. You want to do a magic build for her.
>>
>>330482337
Yup
Not as good as strange journey tho
Also OP
>first
No, go play IV first
>>
>>330482337
Not really, they have a few gimmicks and neat ideas, but they are mostly standard crwls with tons of dead ends. The magacite system is awful, so you get punished by it pretty often.

>>330482383
Not really. I would rather recommend SMT4 instead.
>>
File: 1395483678721.jpg (92 KB, 680x1200) Image search: [Google]
1395483678721.jpg
92 KB, 680x1200
Great game, one of the most accessible of the old style first person megaten.
Possibly the best demon negotiations in the series.
Tons of post-game stuff.

It's not a bad introduction to the series because most of the mechanics and gameplay is straight from the SNES SMT games, except the Devil Summoner games are more story-driven than mainline and it doesn't have a chaos or law path, Hacker is neutral-neutral. (however there are different story paths so it has replay value)
>>
File: 1405654976991.png (155 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1405654976991.png
155 KB, 500x281
>>330482659

>The magacite system is awful

You mean magnetite? Man, if you had trouble with that then I can see why you didn't like the game that much. Managing magnetite on Soul Hackers is fine, it's not nearly as punishing as it is on SMT 1 and 2.
>>
File: 1405662407629.png (205 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1405662407629.png
205 KB, 800x450
>>330482258

>not having 3 save files with each Nemissa in them
>>
>>330482608
IV is not a proper SMT. I can't recommend it as a first game.
>>
>>330483281

Ignore this autist, there's nothing wrong with starting at IV. In fact since you can save/fuse anywhere it's one of the most accessible.
>>
File: 1337732374498.png (146 KB, 759x2981) Image search: [Google]
1337732374498.png
146 KB, 759x2981
>>
>>330482659
>The magacite system is awful, so you get punished by it pretty often.
Git gud
>>
>>330483498
SMT is about dungeon crawling, and there are shit for dungeons in the game. It's a poor choice for someone who wants a first game to give an impression on the overall series. SJ would be a far better first SMT if someone wants a more modern game.
>>
The best SMT game there ever was. Nemissa is the best waifu as well.
>>
File: ass.gif (438 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ass.gif
438 KB, 500x375
it was my 1st smt game too
I hated it and dropped it after a few days. It's just so obtuse and didn't seem like it was worth the effort of getting in to.
>>
File: yhvh.gif (231 KB, 740x3182) Image search: [Google]
yhvh.gif
231 KB, 740x3182
>>330483734
To be quite honest SJ was the only SMT where the dungeons can even be called dungeons

IV FINAL came close but shame that you still have to deal with the shitty IV cities for 90% of the game
>>
>>330483718
More like get grinding and only summon a few demons at a time, its just a way to artificially extend gameplay and inconvenience the player to the point its a poor implementation of the system. Nothing is hard or requires skill in the game, its just tedious and poorly designed.

Hell, they even tried to help it by adding the cheat system.
>>
>>330483994
Are any of those cheats worth using anyway?
>>
>>330482659
>The magacite system is awful, so you get punished by it pretty often.

Oh hey its this retard again.
>>
>>330483994
How bad can you even be that magnetite is ever an issue? Maybe, just may-fucking-be, at the beginning of II things are a little tight but by that time you should be seasoned demon summoner.

But having ANY problems with a magnetite in I or Soul hackers or whatever you're fucking talking about is ridiculous.
>>
>>330484770
I put on the alignment cheat. I didn't want to be bothered with not being able to use demons cause one is Chaos and the super important healer is Law.
>>
>>330481771
Kickass music, alright plot and dated gameplay, but nothing too bad if you're experienced with the genre.

If it's your entry point to the series, I'd advise going with Devil Survivor: Overclocked or SMT 4 if you want a mainline game.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.