[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you pay for a game, what metric do you use to check if it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: 40bucks.png (20 KB, 440x162) Image search: [Google]
40bucks.png
20 KB, 440x162
When you pay for a game, what metric do you use to check if it was worth it?
>>
I think that's pretty global - the amount of hours you get out of it.
I mostly do this or "If I have to work X hours to afford this, and the game exceeds that amount of hours in playtime, it's worth it"
>>
>>330465932
funHours x 5$
>>
A dollar an hour is a decent rate for me.
>>
Enjoyment and to a lesser extent, time.
>>
>>330466196
>>330466371
>Basing a game's worth on how long it lasts

So you would say if you spent 200 hours doing and seeing the same shit on a game like Minecraft it was worth more than a game that lasted 8 hours but provided you with amazing gameplay and an unforgettable story to rival the best books?
>>
>>330466662
Yes. In the end, gameplay is the only thing that matters, so if your game only lasts 8 hours with no reason to replay it, it's shit.
>>
>>330465932
Immersion. If I feel tired or lose focus during the first playthrough, it means the game is shit and I'm never going to play it again.
>>
>>330465932
Hard to gauge. For a while I based it heavily on time, but that's often not good. The first Project X Zone immediately comes to mind, that game had no fucking right being as long and repetitive as it was. It could have ended in half the time, and it would have improved greatly from that change, and improved my opinion on it. The new Fire Emblem is too long too, given how lackluster the story and characters are, and that I am expected to play it thrice.

So I suppose my main metric is that nebulous concept of "fun". I can pay $60 for a 10 hour game as long as it is an enjoyable experience.
>>
>>330465932
Hours/Fun ratio
>>
>>330466662
A decent game will be replayable. And you're joking if you don't think that Alpha Minecraft was worth the $10.
>>
>>330465932
Am I enjoying the game?

Yes?

Then I played it how is this even a fucking question
>>
Price/time played is an easy ratio. Makes me sad looking at all the games I own with like $13/hour ratio...
>>
>>330466662
If the storyline is so shallow and the only reason to play the game, I just watch it. I don't like wasting money. Games are a hobby to enjoy and get enjoy your time. So more time = better in my opinion.
>>
>>330465932
fun hours/tedious hours
>>
>>330465932
If I feel like it.

I felt like buying MGR when it was $15 yet I bought DaS2 and Storm 3 for $40

right now I'm waiting for the steam version Dragons Dogma to be less than $10 before I buy it.
>>
>quantifying quality with time spent

I fully enjoyed firewatch and though I got my moneys worth based solely off enjoyment.

This dollar per hour shit is actually borderline autistic.
>>
>>330465932
conversion of dollerydoos to __fun__
>>
Enjoyment first, time spent playing second.

If the game was a fucking masterpiece (aka never) I don't mind paying whatever I paid for it. But in general if I enjoy something a lot or it brings something new to the table I feel like I spent my money well.

And for time if it's a game that got really bad after 10-20 hours but I didn't pay too much I consider it a worthy purchase even if my impression ends up being that the game is shit.
>>
>>330467482
Anon you know I love you but I think you don't know what autism is
>>
>>330467482
>getting mileage out of a game is autistic
>but defending a purchase you obviously regret is not
>>
>>330465932
>Do I like the game Y/N
>Y
>Single player game ?
>max of 45€
>Multiplayer game Max of 70€ DLCs, future/current included in the total

Example: crusader kings II, good game, around 200€ of DLCs, well fuck that I'll just pirate it all.
>>
How much fun I have
How many hours I can run around finding new things I missed if I replay it and try something different
Can it be played with a friend? If so, does it require them to be in the room with me(favorite) or online(no friends there)

Did I only get half a game for the price and have to get dlc bullshit to get the other half?(fucking skyrim.vanilla free with the xbox, about 40 for the other half.)
Can I customize my character? How much, what's limited in my choice?
Is it difficult enough for me to get challenge out of it without it being so hard i give up and don't touch it again?

A lot of things go into it. I find i'm pretty easy to please with the games i've picked though, really only 10 'why did i ever buy this' types out of the main body of purchased goods.
>>
>>330465932
Enjoyment along with time and content
A game can certainly be short and extremely fun but if there's not replay value there then the price isn't right but a game like Journey is short, sweet and to the point and you can replay it once or twice and at $10 I'd say it's a pretty solid deal
>>
If I can get drunk and still do relatively alright at the game, I consider it a good purchase
I need to stop drinking so much
>>
>>330468185
Drink more. Fill yourself to the brim. You don't need your liver.
>>
WAS GOOD GAM?

YES?
WORTH
>>
>>330467881

>playing with other people makes a game worth more

Explain
>>
(Fun)(Hours)/Price

An average game is a 2 on the funometer, anything less ranging from 0-1.99, and maxing out at around 10

If the number stays at or above 1 in this formula, it was well worth it, if 0.75-1 it was kinda worth it, anything less not really worth it.
>>
>>330468464
Do I really need to explain that? single player games last from 10 to 100 hours in the longest cases, yet I've put hundred of days back in the day into WoW and have thousand of hours into RTS games played in MP.
>>
>>330468464
Depends on the game. If you're playing against people, it's more fun because it's not just some silly AI you can easily exploit.

If you're playing with them, you have someone to bantz with and root for and share in triumph.
>>
how much fun it was how much time I spent playing and how much of that time was fun

Generally I feel the most content with $20-$30 games and hardly ever buy $60 games because AAA games tend to be garbage more often than not, was pleasantly surprised with tw3 though
>>
Story-heavy games (Bastion, Transistor, Walking Simulators, Walking Dead, etc.)- Six hours for every fifteen bucks spent.

Online FPS, coop online games in general - Dollar an hour

Non-open world games (DMC, MGR, Castlevania games, Zelda games, etc.) - Three dollars an hour

Open-world RPGs (The Witcher, etc.) - Dollar an hour

Of course time spent =/= fun spent, but compared to other mediums you get a lot of bang for your buck.
>>
>>330468651

How do you measure your fun?
>>
>>330465932
2 Hours / £1
>>
>>330469109
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8
>>
>>330469109
average is a two, good is a four, great is an 6, and orgasm is 8-10
>>
replayability and content variety, mostly.
>>
File: nosferatu.jpg (21 KB, 263x379) Image search: [Google]
nosferatu.jpg
21 KB, 263x379
I expect several hours of fun per dollar spent.

Earlier this year, I bought Nosferatu for $1, and played it for 8 hours. I think an 8:1 ratio is fair.

I never buy a game for $60 anymore because it's unlikely that I'd play it for 480 hours (and because the same game will be $5 after a couple of years anyway).

Multiplayer games are different because their communities die before their prices drop significantly, but I don't buy multiplayer games anyway, so I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>330466662
>unforgettable story to rival the best books

No such game exists.
>>
>>330469685
Chrono Trigger sends its regards
>>
>>330465932
100+ hours / Buy
Pirate everything singleplayer /Buy on sale 50-75% off if modding community or multiplayer based
>>
>>330469846
No not even close
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.