[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why did this game feel the need to be so "difficult"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 4YwSbMa.png (180 KB, 1631x668) Image search: [Google]
4YwSbMa.png
180 KB, 1631x668
So why did this game feel the need to be so "difficult" it ruins the experience?
>>
Because the entire point of the game is to create on oppressive atmosphere, and gameplay is one of the best ways to create atmosphere.

Being scared of every turn literally is the point of the game, and puts you in there with the characters.

Also git gud.
>>
It's not scary. It's just fucking frustrating. The fact that it's random really works against the game though. The point of difficulty is to improve and overcome it. You can't do that when the whole game is RNG and can just decide to completely ruin your playthrough in one fell swoop.
>>
File: image_48.jpg (236 KB, 863x598) Image search: [Google]
image_48.jpg
236 KB, 863x598
>>330440639
>>
Once I lost a high level party to a bad run I stopped playing and never really got back into the game. Fuck grinding another 8 heroes to such high levels
>>
>>330440639
Blame developers trying to out stupid the Souls series.
>>
>>330440639

If you remove the "difficulty" all that's left is the grind
>>
>>330441174
pretty much this.
>>
>>330440639
Research the zones you're about to raid online.

If you're prepared it's not that hard.
>>
>>330440639
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW-Y445jUc
>>
>>330441137

but "grinding" is easy. You basically gain a level everytime you complete a dungeon
>>
>>330441174
I think the game is too grindy right now
the difficulty doesnt help. It should be easier to level up your men.
I played over 40 hours and still havnt gotten char past rank 4. I lost interest once I realized how time consuming it is and how many times I have to run errands I dont want to do. Monotonous as fuck.
>>
the problem I feel is the money. shit is retarded expensive to upgrade 4 characters, then ya toss in stress/ doc visit/ and to fix shitty quirks I barely ever get past 20-30k gold.
>>
>>330441070
>git gud fag
wew
>>
>>330441374
>330441374
Same anon here.
Maybe I'd just like the game to be paced better. Things as simple as skipping animations or words would be a help. I dont like wasting my time on the same experience again when you lose your best men and gotta start over.
>>
>>330440740
but it's nothing scary about it and it really requires no skill.

It's really like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets and claiming that you're good for surviving. You had no play in that.

Now the counter argument is something like "ugh, know how to manage parties" or "ugh, get right the right items, skrub" or whatever. But even then, one shit combo can melt you.

Playing Isaac is something of a good rng system, yeah you can get shit items, but you can still make it if you're gud. Now imagine if in that game every door you enter has a chance of just killing you because "oppressive atmosphere".

https://youtu.be/_Buwei6ZWqU?t=22m26s

This is a good point made against the whole rng bullshit.
>>
File: 1457533784632[1].jpg (95 KB, 590x528) Image search: [Google]
1457533784632[1].jpg
95 KB, 590x528
>>330440639
>So why did this game feel the need to be so "difficult" it ruins the experience?

I dont agree with you. I feel the game is pretty good as is, with the default options.
The only point in time where I felt it was being a bit cheap is when during the last dungeons, you cant use the same party more than once, and retreating guarantees at least one party member will die.
I can see why they exist, to force you into trying out more compositions with your varied veterans, and to prevent you from retreating every time you get a few unlucky crits in a fight and restarting, but it still feels like torture.

Basically these are the only flaws of the game for me. Here are all my problems with Darkest Dungeon:
>last dungeon punishes too hard with being unable to reuse parties and guaranteeing death on retreat
>bosses only increase in stats on different difficulties, no new abilities
>NG+ doesnt provide new enemies or new combinations of enemies, just stat increase

Thats it. In all other ways, the game feels great, and I had a great time beating it. Didnt beat NG+, but still had a lot of fun.
Steam shows I've played for 114 hours, which includes the different earlier versions of the game, I got it in early access several months ago. Its getting a new character update soon, could revisit it.

gitgut
>>
>>330441329
>2 FUCKING POINTS OF DAMAGE.......ARGHHHH!!!!
fucking kek
>>
Game works fine if you're not shit
you can have bad instances but the games about managing those by picking the least bad outcome
If you don't have a good backup plan and another backup plan if the backup plan fails you're not dungeoning right
>>
>>330441725
Then don't play if you don't like it.
>>
>>330441725
>even then, one shit combo can melt you.

This is how real life works too, scrub. Deal with it. Life isn't fair.
>>
>>330440639
it isn't though. it's just a learning curve, a bit steep in the beginning. success comes later.
>>
>>330441507
I really don't know why they don't keep items like torches and bandages you can use up.
>>
so how's the new class?
sounds more like a merchant tbqh.
>>
>>330443124
A purposely weak combat class that can produce loot during camps.
However one of their abilities, the reverse defend one, directing all attacks on her to another character, is a bit too easy to abuse right now.

2 damage guys in the back, the merchants in 2nd row and a tank on 1st, and all the merchant does is ask the tank to defend, while all the tank does is use defensive abilities on himself.
This is a big iffy since it generates a lot of stress on your tank, but otherwise ensures the high health of everyone else.
>>
i disliked managing more than 4 heroes
>>
>>330443347
so it's entirely a support class and maybe a bit like plague doctor because vapours. oh well. gonna try her out soon.
>>
>>330440639
ironically, this game is easier than all the wizardry titles and clones, even if they don't depict a gritty atmosphere. you just have more options.
>>
You guys are shit at the game. I bet you do suicide runs and backer trinkets.
>>
It's supposed to be cruel. That's the whole point. It's for all the souls fags. Dungeon crawl procedural shit is way hot these days. Even Bloodborne did it.
>>
>>330440639
The game is made to make casuals feel hardcore.
That's the whole point of the game.
If you remove the "difficulty", nothing would remain.
>>
>>330440639
>game feel the need to be so "difficult" it ruins the experience?

Not really sure that it's particularly difficult, if I try to push your way forward then yes shit happens and you die but if you play it cautiously it just becomes a grind instead.

Expand the barracks so you can rotate teams and hit the entry-level missions repeatedly to get upgrades and levels. Learn to mange stress well and abandon a quest at early signs of adversity(two affilcted members etc) if any crewmember is vital.

Also learn the classes well, having the wrong skills or not using the right combo can make a class feel less useful than it is.

I like the narration and character mortality, but the constant flood of replacements and the rng and the constant grinding and expenditure of money for stress and obligatory supplies gets boring.
>>
Its honestly not that difficult if you prepare properly, I don't understand how people have so much trouble unless they're not bringing the right supplies, not focusing the proper threats or using some bad team combinations.

Only thing I dislike is the inventory/grind issue, but hopefully the last class they're bringing in will go some way to fixing that.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.