[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Get gifted this >Expect a walking simulator with jump
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: header[1].jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
33 KB, 460x215
>Get gifted this
>Expect a walking simulator with jump scares"
>Instead get an atmospheric adventure game
SOMA thread?
>>
>>330436098
Its pretty good, though they had to make the protagonist like a complete retard to make the end of the story work which kinda wrecks it a little.
>>
>>330436208
But I like the idea of how copying works though.

It's something I used to think about when people would say "I want to transfer my consciousness into a robot/ai/whatever"
>>
>>330436682
I got no idea with the idea of copying, thats fine.
I just had a problem with how the protag went through the coping process, had it explained to him, went on his way, then somehow totally forgot by the time they got to the Ark how copying works.
>>
>>330436775
I always thought he just denied the truth until he had no choice
>>
>>330436863
that makes him even more stupid
still game has aftertaste which is more than 80% of games do
>>
>>330436943
Eh, I'm fine with protagonists being dumb. The scene where he transfers to his second body and freaks out when he realizes that his old body is still alive was well done.
>>
Wait, is Simon trapped in the ARK launching room at the end, or can he walk back through the base?
>>
>>330436098
I still don't get why people think the monsters were a bad thing. They weren't very frequent and the knowledge that they were around made exploration a lot more tense.

>>330437140
A friend of mine pointed out that his omnitool won't work anymore so I doubt he can get very far.
>>
>>330436098
I'm thinking about getting this next sale, should I? I'm not into horror games at all, but I've heard people compare it to Dead Space, which I liked, and it tackles some philosophical questions, which is intriguing.
>>
>>330436863
Yeah he was an idiot. Even (I forgot her name) pointed it out in the end. Literally saying "I told you so many times, what would you think would happen?"

Simon was an idiot. Simon IV probably gets himself deleted on the Ark, thats how stupid he is. Great game though. And its not easy writing an idiot well,but they managed it with Simon.
>>
>>330436098
>Instead get an atmospheric adventure game

I'm interested. What do you actually do besides walking and hiding from the big bad scary? Are there challenging puzzles in there that tempt you to look at a walkthrough, or is every puzzle "what a minute, that card"-difficulty tier?

I'm asking this because most adventure games nowadays basically play themselves, and that is coming from someone too stupid to finish even one single Lucas Arts or King's Quest adventure on his own. I think the only one I beat alone was Zork Nememis. I really miss games making me feel like an idiot.
>>
>>330438041
The puzzles are somewhat easy to figure out on your own, they don't feel particularly disconnected or abstracted from the environment.
That may be why they're not particularly mindboggling but they can turn somewhat stressful like having to hide from an enemy that only locates you via sound while you're trying to solve some things regarding a server, problem is that the server likes to beep when you're interacting with it and you're on a timer
>>
>>330438348
eh
is exploring every corner rewarded at least?
>>
>>330438041
It's a walking simulator, puzzles aren't challenging. I liked it, though, but I get creeped out easily and I liked the atmosphere as well as the philosophical stuff it makes you consider. Also, the sound design is god tier.
As for horror, it does nicely because it introduces various enemy types throughout the game and, as usual, discourages you from looking at them. Scary stuff is scary because you don't know them well and don't know what they're capable of.

That's pretty much it. If you're not one to get immersed in games, you probably won't like it.
>>
Least scary game made by these guys, but also my favorite. I loved the story and exploring the decrepit setting. It's cool as fuck.
>>
>>330438608
Depends on what you mean by "rewarded", almost all the parts of the stations that you can access have some story-relevant stuff with the exception of areas with monsters.
>>
>>330436098
The ARG for this game made some of the best threads of /v/.
>>
>>330436775
He didn't understand the idea and when he brought up the idea that there was a 'coin toss' of which copy is the 'real' Simon, Cath seemed to roll with it instead of correcting him.

Can't say I blame her. Her one and only goal in life was to launch the Ark and Simon wouldn't go through all that shit he did if he knew that he was going to be abandoned for a copy at the end of the line.
>>
the thing with the story is that, yeah, simon is kind of stupid. but not unbelievably so.

if you think about how that technology works in the game, and it is explained by catherine on the way down to the abyss and you can tell by simons reactions when he's being copied. there's always a contiuous train of thought or rather consciousness. even you're just a copy. well, you might suddenly be in another body or 100 years might've passed but it's unlike anything anyone from simon's time has ever experienced. he just couldn't deal with it. didn't get it. and it is kind of crazy the longer you think about it.

what got me in the end is how the simon that made unto the ark still didn't get it. of course not. he's the exact copy in that moment of the one that got left behind at the bottom of the ocean - who also didn't forsee how everything would play out. it hit him hard then ofc. so... how long until simon on the ark starts reflecting on what really took place. him and catherine will need to have an honest talk.
>>
>>330436208
Some anon back then said that the protagonist pretty much is a retard? Guy has brain damage, or something like that? Then all his "bodies" weren't exactly fully functional in the common sense/logic department?
>>
File: le.jpg (15 KB, 342x345) Image search: [Google]
le.jpg
15 KB, 342x345
>MFW some anons in the last thread I saw about Simon actually thought you had a 50% chance of transferring your conscience and believed the "coin flip" line
I lost even more respect for /v/ that day.
>>
>try the game at your friends'
>expect a spooky deep sea atmospheric horror game
>instead get a streamlined Amnesia story-heavy linear walking simulator with tons of dialogue

I literally did nothing else than pressed forward and were frustrated by the unskippable dialogue in the first few hours. Devs really need to work more on the gameplay rather than story these days
>>
>>330438967
me again,
what's also really cool about this whole setting fo the game is that it's basically the outset of the universe from "altered carbon." if humanity hadn't been destroyed by the asteroid this technology the had would have changed EVERYTHING. like, humanity woul've been able a lot closer to colonizing other planets by sending digitize minds via antennas through space faster than any spacecraft could travel and just load them into other bodies or robots at their destination point. the gloves are off from that point on.

everyone needs to read altered carbon really.
>>
>>330437043
Still feels a bit of a cop out that Simon2 has knocked out before we could talk to him. I'd have liked to hear Simon argue with himself about who's the copy or better yet, fight. Simon2 becoming desperate and thinking that the only way now is to kill Simon3 and force Cath to fit him in it somehow.

I let him live in my playthrough and when the lift to the abyss stopped working, I thought he had somehow woke up and was waiting to jump me when I climbed up.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.