[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super Paper Mario
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg (128 KB, 256x359) Image search: [Google]
Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg
128 KB, 256x359
Why do people hate this game, again?
It had everything that made the original Paper Mario games good.
Plus the gimmicks were a thousand times more interesting that WOOOOO FUCKIN STICKERS M8
Also. Playable Peach, playable BOWSER

What's the problem?
>>
>That chapter where you die and go to hell

The lore never went deeper.
>>
People hated it because it was an APRG instead of a turn-based RPG.

Also they mostly removed companions.

It was still a pretty great game though.
>>
>>330432454
TTYD fanboys.
>>
File: 1455559120057.png (116 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455559120057.png
116 KB, 480x480
I played the fuck out of it. Even beat all the levels of that survival thing, and got the new butterfly from the nerd.
>>
>>330432537
I'm a huge ttyd fanboy and I thought it was a pretty great game.

I was slightly upset it wasn't turn-based but it was still great.
>>
>>330432454
>bad graphic
>stupid AI
>boring story
>shallow caracters
>dumb boss design
There's nothing to be liked in this game.
>>
File: 1266687161490.jpg (55 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1266687161490.jpg
55 KB, 500x370
>>330432716
>>
>>330432454
Because it wasn't a successor to the first two games
I would have preferred another game like the first two desu but Super Paper Mario is a very good game on it's own right so I'm fine with it
It's a shame what happened to the series after it tho
>>
>>330432716
This, would also add
>awful controls
>slow as fuck 2d/3d switch animation, and since you use it all the time it gets on your nerves
>way too much dialogue
>a lot of leap of faith moments
>bosses have way too much hp (one of my biggest problems with jrpgs)
>>
>>330432454
Because the platforming itself was boring honestly.

The level layouts were all pretty damn bad due to Mario's poor speed when walking around and the RPG elements added nothing to the game really except to slow it down even further..

Also I really hated the art style for the npc's that weren't Mario characters. It looked like they just opened Mspaint, picked the square and circle tools and threw them together without giving a shit. The art direction in general was just subpar in general outside a few areas like The Underwhere or whatever that chapter was called.

Last knock against it for me personally would be the story- it had some funny moments but a lot of the time it felt like it was taking itself way too seriously, like it completely forgot how to balance the comedy/drama in the last half of the game and went full drama instead.

I don't think it's worse than Sticker Star because this one at least had ideas but I always thought it was pretty bad.
>>
File: 1457071626644.jpg (50 KB, 400x508) Image search: [Google]
1457071626644.jpg
50 KB, 400x508
>>330432454
I hate it purely because its not a true paper mario game, it splintered what the pm fanbase can expect from the series for ever more and now whatever frame work they choose a specific type of pm fan be it rpg, super, or sticker style the other two will be left out i the cold.

It's not a bad game it just shouldn't be a paper mario game and it replaced the original former rather than exist alongside it.

Imagine if pokemon ranger came out and they just said fuck the main series this is where pokemon is at now AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!

Just another case of stick familiar face on new ip so it'll sell more.
>>
>>330433076
Ah, so you're so casual you can't even handle a Paper Mario game. Gotcha.
>>
>>330433076
>bosses have way too much hp (one of my biggest problems with jrpgs)
Nigga they die in 2-3 hits, not even grinding. The whole game was too fucking easy.
>>
>>330436782
I don't remember all the bosses in detail, I just remember that spidergirl that took ridiculously long to kill, same with that geek boss
>>
>>330432454
The gameplay is atrocious, it's only the soundtrack, writing and awesome apocalyptic setting that saved the game and turned it into an 8/10.
>>
>>330436929
Oh yeah that one, she had to be delt with differently. Took me awhile to figure out that HP damage didn't mean shit and you had to break all her legs insted. Her boss fights were the only challenge in the game, everything else was ridiculously easy.
>>
>>330432454
Because it's BORING.
>>
>>330432454
>everything that made the oringal Paper Mario games good
The gameplay is primarily what made them good.
>>
>>330432454
It is a fun game but everyone wanted a new Paper Mario game like TTYD which is beloved by so many people. Nothing wrong with improving on a good concept, you don't have to be unique all the time. That is something that Nintendo got wrong so many times over the past decade.
>>
Here are some things that Super Paper Mario did wrong:

>Ruined Bowser's personality (Bowser is playable and talks, he is portrayed as dumb)
>Very few enemies from the Super Mario Universe--too many OC characters
>Too much emphasis on story. It's a video game, does it really benefit from having a story? Development could be used better elsewhere.
>Too much RPG influence with the level ups and EXP system
>>
File: 1429577669650.jpg (27 KB, 225x333) Image search: [Google]
1429577669650.jpg
27 KB, 225x333
>>330439253
>>
File: costanz.jpg (18 KB, 419x256) Image search: [Google]
costanz.jpg
18 KB, 419x256
>>330439253
Fuck off Shiggy.
>>
SPM had the best writing, characters and music in the series 2bh.

It's a decent platformer though.
>>
File: 1445633411937.gif (461 KB, 361x360) Image search: [Google]
1445633411937.gif
461 KB, 361x360
>Doing Flopside Pit of 100 Trials
>Die in room 96 from a Dark Amazy Dazee
>Basically gotta do it 3 times now
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make you do this pit 2 times for a reward?
>>
>>330432846
>Because it wasn't a successor to the first two games
TTYD wasn't a successor of the first one either. Just a ripoff.

>>330432793
Nice. That's literally al SPM haters.
>>
>>330432454
Super Paper Mario was a great game with interesting characters and a good story. But if it had the gameplay and mechanics of the first two games, it probably could've been the best game in the series. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Sticker Star had came out differently.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.