[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So chums, I've recently got a Wii U and some games for hella
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: some-cake.jpg (122 KB, 632x483) Image search: [Google]
some-cake.jpg
122 KB, 632x483
So chums, I've recently got a Wii U and some games for hella cheap. It came with Bayonetta 2, Smash 4, SM3DW, and REvelations. There are a few other games I was looking into as well, like W101, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame 5, etc.
But I want to know: Are there any interesting exclusives that are a bit less known/more obscure? They can even be Japan-only (Wii U doesn't have region lock does it?) Just any you know of. I suppose any other general suggestions or advice for games and other shit would be cool too.
>>
>>330402403
Nope. There are no hidden gems in the Wii U library, everything you've heard of is everything worth playing. Any game that gets made for the Wii U gets viraled and shilled to the moon and back because the console gets 3 games a year, and it's consumers are starved for games.
>>
>>330402403
>Wii U doesn't have region lock does it?
This is a joke, right? All Nintendo consoles suffer infamously from region-locking.

I've heard that lego city undercover gem is a lesser-known gem on the system but I haven't picked it up myself.
>>
>>330402645
What hidden gems are on the Xbone and PS4?
>>
>>330402645
>3 games a year
Damn that's a whole 3 more than Xbone and PS4!
>>
>>330403038
>b-but the other consoles!!!
They dont have any either. Nice blame deflection, Nintendrone.
>>
File: 1398103917504.gif (512 KB, 225x116) Image search: [Google]
1398103917504.gif
512 KB, 225x116
>black icing
>>
>>330403183
It wasn't deflection, I was genuinely curious for more to play...
>>
>>330403153
>multiplats don't count
Simply ebin
>>
File: 1451195299801.webm (3 MB, 650x364) Image search: [Google]
1451195299801.webm
3 MB, 650x364
>>330403038
tearaway is largely unknown and a very good game
>>
>>330403296
They don't to PC users
>>
>>330402645
Hmm, that's what I was afraid of... That seems to me to be the same situation with PS4 and Xbone so far as well. I feel like it's made worse since Nintendo's apparently going ahead to do their new console. PS4 will probably have more layers of shit eventually, but perhaps Wii U isn't being given the chance. Or maybe they are, I don't know anything about the NX.

>>330402664
That's too bad, I suppose Japan-only games will stay that way then. I briefly looked it up and thought I saw that Nintendo had removed region lock from Wii U, but actually they were talking about the NX.
>>
>>330403396
>I don't know anything about the NX.
Nobody does, it's a complete mystery.

>>330403346
Agreed but I already know thar game
>>
Yes the Wii U is region-locked. Nintendo loves their tyranny.

Loved ZombiU but it's hit or miss. Look up combat and gameplay videos. It's like a survival horror rogue-lite with a few interesting ideas in it.

Tropical Freeze and Woolly World are good plays if you liked Country or Yoshi's Island respectively.

Deus Ex Human Revolution has a surprisingly great port for the Wii U if you've never played it before.

Hyrule Warriors is the best KT Warriors game I've gotten my hands on, with plenty of love for Zelda throughout it.

>>330402664
Lego City is a great Lego game, if you're at all interested in that sort of thing.
>>
>>330403396
PS4 and the Xbone both get multiplats that are timesink games on them to hold you over between exclusives (Destiny, CoD, Dark Souls, GTA, etc). The problem with the Wii U is that it completely depends on exclusive, and makes it even more painful when you find out that the game you've been waiting months for isn't very good.
>>
>>330402403
>But I want to know: Are there any interesting exclusives that are a bit less known/more obscure?

The Wii U is region locked, but there is one game that doesn't get discussed here, it's the Bamco F2P game Lost Reavers.

Don't bother though, it's pure trash.
>>
>>330404015
>it even more painful when you find out that the game you've been waiting months for isn't very good.
This has yet to happen to me. All the games I've got I come back to frequently, I've enjoyed them all.
>>
>>330404310
Lucky you. Besides Tropical Freeze and MK8, I've been disappointed by every U game I've ever bought. (Though I'll admit there are several major Wii U games I haven't played)
>>
>>330404529
What's in your collection and which didn't you like and why?

Mainly asking as plan to go grab some more games this month.
>>
File: YWD_JP_Cover.png (783 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
YWD_JP_Cover.png
783 KB, 500x715
>>
>>330403926
Thanks for the suggestions.

>>330404194
>Lost Reavers. Don't bother though, it's pure trash.
Thanks, I'll check it out anyway. After all, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Sometimes.
>>
File: Exist-Archive-JP-Box-Art_001.jpg (437 KB, 1518x1900) Image search: [Google]
Exist-Archive-JP-Box-Art_001.jpg
437 KB, 1518x1900
>>330403038

The PS4 has its share of less known japanese-only games already.
>>
>>330405181
What if you're not into those sorts of games? you know what I mean, don't make me say it
>>
>>330405363

Then don't play them? I mean why would you ask about japanese games then rant like a retard about le weebshit.
>>
>>330405431
>why would you ask about japanese games
I didn't. I asked for hidden gems.
>>
>>330404663
I'll just list off the games I didn't like.

>ZombiU
Complete gimmicky shit that was way too linear and easy near the end of the game. Ugly graphics and no atmosphere at all.
>Captain Toad
Bought it for my gf to play, she loved it of course cause it's cute, played it myself and realized it was babby shit
>Hyrule Warriors
Borrowed from a friend, boring grindfest.
>Splatoon
Absolute garbage that only got popular cause its a Nintendo game. A complete joke of a console shooter.
>Sm4sh
Unbalanced as all fuck, terrible online, terrible single player, Fire Emblem circlejerk roster, boring mini games. Just flat out disappointing.
>Pikmin 3
Weakest entry in the series. No caves, way too short, way too easy.
>Super Luigi U
Plays like Luigi from SMB2, which is the 1 character i hate using in that game.
>SM3DW
Not bad at all, Just not as good as Dong Freeze. Too easy, too.

Games I haven't played: Kirby, Yarn Yoshi (babby shit) Mario Maker (don't like Mario enough to buy it) Bayo2 (not into cuh-razy fighters) and W101 (I have it in my backlog but my friend says I'll definitely dislike it )
>>
>>330405650
What is it like to not enjoy things?
>>
>>330402403
wait a minute, that's not a console at all.
>>
If you hadn't noticed yet, OP is TheDude and this is a shitposting bait thread.
>>
>>330405650
>plays videogames
>calls things babby shit
oh the irony
>>
>>330405494

You said you didn't mind Japan-only games in the OP so I assumed you didn't have a problem with games just because they sport anime style. My bad.
>>
>>330405976
That's not OP
>>
>3 times as many posts as posters
Gee, I wonder who could be behind this thread.
>>
>>330405650
>ZombiU
Agreed
>Captain Toad
I liked the captain toad levels in SM3DW, although each one was easy. I guess if I saw it discounted I might try it.
>Hyrule Warriors
Can you elaborate on this a little? I don't know much about the game
>Splatoon
I love Splatoon, I still play ranked and squad battles regularly, sad to hear you didn't like it.
>Sm4sh
The singleplayer should've been bettee but I found the offline to be overall okay, I thought the online was pretty well executed though, my only real complaint is that there's no 1-on-1 in For Fun as the 4-player default in For Fun with all the items and stage hazards can have lag issues.
>Pikmin 3
I have never played a Pikmin game, what's the gameplay like? Should I pickup the whole series?
>Super Luigi U
...Then why did you buy it?
>SM3DW
As a multilayer game it's infinitely better than any other platformer imo, but its singleplayer is definitely easy. I still enjoyed it, most of the post-game levels challenged me. The game's more challenging in multiplayer due to the competitive aspect (getting the crown each level).

Seems unusual to me that you got a Wii U when you apparently don't like easy-to-moderate difficulty platformers. Oh well, at least we agree that DKTF is great.
>>
File: 1416805159782.jpg (20 KB, 432x274) Image search: [Google]
1416805159782.jpg
20 KB, 432x274
>>330402403
an absolute mistake my man, they should have payed you to take it off their hands
>>
>>330405650
>>330406458
>These literal niggas hating on zombiu
as a survival horror fan, I think it was pretty alright. way better than I thought it would be and it actually tried to utilize the gamepad. Way higher quality than Ubi's previous nintendo launch attempt. It gave a pretty good time for a budget price
>>
>>330406259
Just a dude who wants Wii U suggestions...

>>330406546
Oh, my good man, it was so cheap they basically did.
>>
>>330402403
Revelations sucks cock. Don't go into it expecting much
>>
>>330406701
I was the second anon you quoted, to be fair I didn't play too much before I got bored of smacking zombies with a bat repeatedly (though I've read you can trip them up to kill them quicker or something). What really put me off was the loading times for some of the next areas. I could literally be stood next to a door for a full minute before it opened, sometimes leading to my death and much salt.
>>
>>330405650
>Splatoon
>Only good console shooter ever made is absolute garbage
I'd hate to know what the fuck you think makes for a good console shooter.
>>
>>330407154
>Only good console shooter ever
Nah, Timesplitters 2 also exists.
>>
>>330402403
If you can possibly find an original printing of Rodea: The Sky Soldier, get it. The Wii U version is utter trash, but the Wii version it's packaged with is actually fun. Make SURE you get the Wii version with it, because it's fucking worthless otherwise.
>>
>>330407379
Not OP but I've heard that game mentioned a few times but still don't know what kind if game it is
>>
>>330407379
Interesting. If it's the same game, why's the Wii U version so much worse than the Wii version? The controls?
>>
>>330407572
It's sort of like a 3D platformer, but with a flight gimmick.

You control a character who can fly to anything within a certain range of his current position. Using only the Wii Remote, you aim at a location, then can either fly straight to it, or curve your trajectory, either to avoid obstacles or collect items. While in flight, you can activate a damaging boost attack on whatever you have targeted. You get various powerups throughout the game, which give your basic moves more functionality, or let you fire shots.

Combat feels like Sonic's homing attacks, but you have to aim them.

The Wii U version is a severely incomplete port. The levels are mostly the same, and even have entities that you can only interact with when you have certain powerups, but the powerups aren't programmed into the port. Really pathetic, but it was something they were forced to do by the publisher.
>>
>>330408053
Everything I outlined in >>330408057
But also, the flight gimmick is changed due to the control scheme being different. You can fly towards anything, including things that are outside of your range, but you have a limited amount of flight energy. Meaning you have to land on something every once in a while to recharge. This means you can't fly long distances by locking onto several things in a row, like you can in the Wii version, turning the game's pace into a stilted mess.
>>
>>330408269
Also you'll occasionally run out of flight energy mid-homing attack and run straight into the enemy you were aiming at...
And the sluggish camera controls are even more apparent in the Wii U version than on the Wii...
And the side content like bonus areas were changed from a 2D change of pace to a "pick an automated path, and one will give you collectables" area because you can't use the remote for free flying movement.
>>
File: 1453373419537.jpg (112 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1453373419537.jpg
112 KB, 540x720
>>330405650
>Kirby, Yarn Yoshi (babby shit)
>>
>>330402403
that's not a wii u
>>
>DKC: Tropical Freeze
>NES Remix
>Earthbound
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.