[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A super secret item can be unlocked in chapter 38 by attacking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1436785201682.png (532 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1436785201682.png
532 KB, 1366x768
>A super secret item can be unlocked in chapter 38 by attacking thrice with a fire spell, but only if you talked to the mage twice in chapter 12 !

>A secret cutscene will be available if you level both Character1 and Character2 to level 100 in under 999 fights !

>This enemy unit can be turned to your side during this one mission if you talk to him with a character nothing indicates is related to him. Of course, you'll have only one chance to do this in the whole game !

Why do Japanese games do this ?
>>
Shit like that is an automatic not-buy.
>>
>>330359664
What game?
Or are these exaggerations
>>
>>330360015
They're generalisation of what you can find in lots of Japanese-made RPGs or turn-based games.

They're full of secrets only attainable by playing the game while reading a guide.
>>
>>330360015
Some of them are exaggerations. One of the FF games as I recall, has super weapons that'll come from chests late game... but only if you don't open chests earlier in the game/find a certain invisible chest/other shit
>>
Nothing irks me more than missable content in RPGs. I always end up with a fucking list of things I have to be sure to collect and it just stresses me out.
>>
>>330361512
That's FF12, literally everyone knows about the zodiac spear.
>>
>>330361512
FFVI did something like this.
There are chests in the WoB that become better items in the WoR.

The Zodiac Spear from FFXII which you are referring to was only obtainable if you don't open any chests in a certain part of the game early on.
>>
>>330361705
I didn't play any FF games outside of 1,2, 4,5 and Tactics+Tactics Advance.
>>
>>330360015
fuckin fire emblem does that shit all the fucking time
>>
>>330361783
Don't give a fuck nigga, if you browse /v/ and have even the tiniest knowledge of FF you should know about the zodiac spear
>>
>>330361836
Hence why I knew what I did about it. Sorry I don't catalog useless shit from some retarded FF game past its prime
>>
File: 1457570292420.jpg (30 KB, 418x495) Image search: [Google]
1457570292420.jpg
30 KB, 418x495
>like getting platinum trophies in games as a way to 100% them
>there's always a trophy like finishing the main story 9 times on the hardest difficulty in under half hour with no retries
>>
>>330363119

>like a game enough to try and get all the achievements
>check achievements
>half of them are for the multiplayer aspect
>game is old and multiplayer has been dead for years

i swear to god games should have separate achievement sets for single player and multiplayer. some people don't like multiplayer. and even if i did, often as not some of the MP achievements are stupid as fuck, like 'play a match with a member of the dev team'. yeah fuck you if you didnt get it in like the first couple days
>>
>>330359664

>unlockingKnight'sintheNightmaregoodending.jpg

Seriously love that game, but it has so many missables it triggers my autism.
>>
>>330360015
Some of these sound exactly how some secret Super Robot Wars suit and character unlocks work. There's also more obscure japanese games, especially on DS, that did this. Like Rondo of Swords and the like. FE also does stuff like that, but to a lesser degree.
>>
>>330361836
He's not talking about 12. There's an older one that blocked off the ultimate weapon if you opened certain chests in the starting area.
>>
>>330363119

>achievement involves playing online
>>
>>330361512
FF9 had a ton of mini-games, side events, and hidden items you can miss. And on top of all that, it also had a weapon you can miss just for taking to long to reach a certain point in the game. So you're penalized for taking your time in one of the slowest paced FF games ever.

If you want some extra annoyance, you can also try to do a max stat run, which involves skipping as much combat as possible until you get the perfect equipment set because stat growth is based on what you're wearing.
>>
File: image040.png (23 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
image040.png
23 KB, 512x384
>open up special chest in the present to get a unique item
>go to the past and open up the chest again to get the unique item again
Now this was secret item shenanigans done right.
>>
>>330359664
>Why do Japanese games do this ?
Buy the official strategy guide only 19.99
>>
>>330359664

>boss is unbeatable unless you fuck some guy in purple armor first
>>
>>330361793
Fire Emblem usually spells it out in dialogue who can recruit who, even in the earlier games, even though they're WAY more guilty of the hidden shit.

9 and 10 outright tell you who can have conversations while you're picking units.

The closest thing to any of OP's complaints in later games is how some gaiden chapters are hidden away.

>>330359664
Strategy guide sales, and added "replayability."
>>
I'm gonna go right ahead and defend it. It's a nice way to replay the game and to talk about the game with the community. One of the reasons I wanted to replay DaS 1 was to beat the game with Solaire and stunlock the shit out of Gwyn. Souls games are a perfect excuse for this type of design choices. You get to talk about the game and learn new things you can discover.
>>
File: 1456033115466.png (335 KB, 456x522) Image search: [Google]
1456033115466.png
335 KB, 456x522
>Cavestory true ending requirement
>>
>>330359664
If that stuff is too hard for you maybe you should consider playing games that let you unlock secret characters by paying $3.99 for a dlc.
>>
>>330366905
Did it 3 days ago, i was fucking pissed because i had to read a guide for it. I dont want to read guides, its feels like cheating for me.
>>
I did like how in Kingdom Hearts you could obtain the true ending two ways, one doing stupid missions, minigames and etc on normal, and the other winning the game on hard, i did the last one
>>
>>330368810
Final Mix did this too but locked out the second secret video unless you do it on a new even harder difficulty.
>>
>An item requires you to do a minigame to get it

[PUZZLEBOY INTENSIFIES]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckRhKXfWxo
>>330366905
You didn't shoot the tile above the teleporter?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.