[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you support scenes which block game progression and aren't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: hl2 2011-11-14 07-28-12-58.jpg (255 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hl2 2011-11-14 07-28-12-58.jpg
255 KB, 1920x1080
Do you support scenes which block game progression and aren't skippable?
>>
When I decided I'd like to play hl2 again, I got to about the third unskippable boring dialog scene and gave up
>>
Answer the fucking question /v/
>>
>>330323318
>support
no
>tolerate
yes
>>
File: 1457532588399.jpg (96 KB, 652x786) Image search: [Google]
1457532588399.jpg
96 KB, 652x786
>>330323718
Not if it's a boring cutscene of a helicopter crashing or some boring americans talking about utter crap or some fantasy dark wizard melodrama.
>>
If you could somehow progress the actual dialogue I would appreciate it more.
>>
>>330323318
it's really not that bad in HL2. Like 30 minutes in a 13 hours game?
>>
I miss the time when games were about playing.

Today games are awesome technology-wise but damn they're so fucking boring. I started GTA V and RDR last week. I'm about 15 hours in for each. I bet my real playtime for each is around 7 or 8.
>>
File: 7212-1-1451615859.jpg (609 KB, 594x752) Image search: [Google]
7212-1-1451615859.jpg
609 KB, 594x752
>>330323934
Something I'm actually grateful for in Fallout 4 is atleast a majority of the typically boring story is you can skip through the conversations with the bonus of nothing you say ever fucking matters
>>
File: s t o p.png (2 MB, 1328x960) Image search: [Google]
s t o p.png
2 MB, 1328x960
>>330324089
>that image
>>
>get stuck in a room with fuck all to do whilst NPCs you don't give a shit about spout exposition to further a terrible storyline
>gets massive acclaim because its not done as a cutscene, a method that would have probably been more involving and could have been skipped in following plays

Doom nor Quake had cutscenes either but it isn't some earthshattering way of storytelling in an FPS because you're always kept in their character.
>>
File: shame.jpg (7 KB, 243x280) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
7 KB, 243x280
>>330323318
No.
>>
>>330323318
theyre at least fun when you play obsidian conflict or synergy
>>
File: 1443089775290.jpg (27 KB, 166x166) Image search: [Google]
1443089775290.jpg
27 KB, 166x166
>>330323318
DO I LOOK LIKE A BITCH?!
>>
>>330324314
>Demons come from portal
>Demons kill Doomguy's bunny
>Doomguy invades hell and murders literally everything in retaliation
>This is all explained in a single photo

How did they go so right
>>
>>330323318
>tfw hl2 facial expression are still the best
>>
>>330324646
>praise an FPS for how it does facial expressions
but for what reason.
>>
>>330324672
>praise an apple for it's shine
for what purpose, huh?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxQG6Cfyr4
>>
>>330323318
Only when they are well done, like in HL2. I can't think of another game where it doesn't piss me off.
>>
Absolutely not.

There are several games I would like to play again but never will because of this shit.
>>
I was actually thinking of replaying Half-Life 2 but Black Mesa East reminds me that I'm not really feeling up to it.
>>
>>330323318
But Anon, the game is actually progressing while you´re looking at them, you´re just not shooting stuff. Personally, I think that the rythm of a game need spikes, and scenes like this (which are only about 5% of the game) help to connect the areas better than just coming from a shootout, opening a door, and entering into another shootout. At least HL2 "cutscenes" are really short.
>>
That's a stupid question.

HL2 cutscenes are dumb archaic crap that shouldn't be in games anymore, but not because they "block game progression and aren't skippable".

If you want to have guided narrative, put it in a cutscene. Don't give the player fake control.
>>
>>330331310
A cutscene breaks inmersion while these don´t. I´m not saying one is better than the other, it really depends on the game, for example, HL2 is heavily based on inmersion so never tooking away the control from the player is actually benefitial to the game, but this may not be the case with a game like Metal Gear, or any other that relies in a more complex story, where cutscenes with their angles and their actual direction benefits the game.
>>
>>330331620
>A cutscene breaks inmersion while these don´t.

I'm thrown into a boxed-off scene that I can't leave and can't interact with in any way while the rest of the story plays itself out using NPCs. The only time that isn't immersion-breaking is if the rest of the game is similarly linear and lacking in interaction -- which, truth be told, isn't a rare occurrence in modern videogames.
>>
>>330331852
But the fact that they don´t take the control away from you is, at least for me, not inmersion breaking. You´re allways Gordon, for the whole game, and it helps to create that connection with the player.
>>
>>330331620
Would you rather readable logs scattered throughout the game telling you the story?
>>
ITT: kids wanting to just pew pew
When i played hl2, i was really curious who was eli, mosman, black mesa east, and the story itself, so it never bothered me.
None of you care?
>>
>>330332576
It's all very good shit in the first playthrough.
This shit hurts the replay value.
>>
>>330331620
>>330332064
You're a retard. There's nothing "immersive" about mannequins talking at you while you run around in circles. It's actually the exact opposite of immersion. It takes you out of a game, because you're marvelling at how stupid it is, assuming you're not a retard of course.

Immersion is not about being in first person view. Immersion is about having your full attention fixated on something.
>>
>>330332101
Also depends on the game and the importance it gives to the story (and the way is told), but in general, I preffer the way HL2 manages cutscenes to games like, for example, Bioshock, where you are listening the story at the same time you´re shooting, making it difficult to pay attention to.

>>330332576
Also this. I cared.
>>
>>330332857
My full attention was fixated on those scenes, faggot. You think is better to just make a cut and show you some prefabricated shit, and then cut again to gameplay? And again, talking about HL2, they´re not that many and they´re really short and well executed, so fuck off.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.