[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was New Super Mario Bros. 2 really that bad? I enjoyed it more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: nyuusupaamarioburazaasutsuu.jpg (33 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
nyuusupaamarioburazaasutsuu.jpg
33 KB, 400x240
Was New Super Mario Bros. 2 really that bad?

I enjoyed it more than 1 and Wii.

Haven't played U yet.
>>
>>330314198
It was just lazy. As much of a cash grab as the game's central mechanic.
>>
File: 1373652631766.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1373652631766.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>Hey guys we just made a game that got pretty good revenue. What should we do now?
>MAKE THE EXACT SAME GAME RIGHT DOWN TO THE MUSIC
>>
>>330314198
I think its pretty good.
Only issue I see with it is that the coin gimmick is completely fucking pointless.
>>
It was more of the same with a marginal amount of new stuff. It's not terrible on its own, it's fine as a 2D Mario platformer, but it isn't anything special. It's very iterative and that gets a lot of people rather pissy.
>>
The level design is really freaking good, it involves a lot of verticality due to the return of the raccoon tail. The focus on coins is a fun novelty, but ultimately pretty pointless.
>>
I liked it more than 1 and Wii as well. It was the first 2D mario since SMW to have actual flight and while the levels didn't have as many secret paths as 3 or World, it was more than what NSMB had offered until that point.

Secret paths and optional world map routes are my favorite part of 2D Mario.
>>
It was alright, I definitely agree on liking it more than Wii.

I still like the original the most of the NSMB games, if only because it actually had original bosses.
>>
You play a masterpiece like Super Mario 3, and than you play a lazy uninnovative games like NSMB , and it's like wtf happen to gaming.
>>
>>330314794

Yeah this is why I liked it so much, NSMB2 has a lot of secret routes to discover. In fact, I still haven't found every secret in the game.
>>
>>330314974
Super Mario 3 was a crown jewel meant to prop up Nintendo's entire business. If 2D platformers still held the same position 20+ years later then you would have to ask wtf happen to gaming.
>>
>>330314198

It's not bad, just forgettable as fuck.
>>
>>330314198
WAH WAH WAAAAH
>>
It sucks because the thing they decided to lay all focus on (coins) ultimately give you no reward outside of 1-ups and a shitty title screen when you've wasted enough time.

If they instead made it so that you had a "coin goal" - a minimum number of coins you need to collect on each level for unlocking secret levels or whatnot, it'd at least give you an incentive to actually go and seek them out, instead of just rushing through everything.
>>
I didn't "get" it.
Why the coins? Why was everything coins?
It was annoying and just plain weird.
>>
>>330316295
Literal cashgrab.
>>
>>330316295
Looks like they didnt think this properly through.
Or maybe they ran out of time to flesh it out.
>>
>>330314198
it's alright

had some cool vertical level design ideas
>>
>>330314198
NSMB2 is more lazy than SMB2. Both the Japanese and the Western versions.
>>
No Mario game was ever good, those are games made for babies
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.