[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MGS: Legacy or HD collection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: MGS.png (3 MB, 1955x1115) Image search: [Google]
MGS.png
3 MB, 1955x1115
So which one do I get? I've seen people on this board recommend the HD collection but Legacy come's with the original Metal Gear Solid game.

I've never played these games before
>>
Same disc, legacy just comes with psn codes.
>>
>>330100592
Then get legacy without a doubt, it's the hd collection plus 1 and 4
>>
>>330100592
The Legacy Collection is more complete, but MGS1 is easily emulated and MGS4 is dogshit. So it's up to you. I'd probably just go with the Legacy Collection myself.

If you enjoy MGS1 and MGS2 be sure to check out the MSX games and Ghost Babel at some point. They're great.
>>
File: mgs newbie guide.jpg (1 MB, 3550x600) Image search: [Google]
mgs newbie guide.jpg
1 MB, 3550x600
If you can get the Legacy collection, there is literally no reason to get the HD collection.
It has everything the HD collection has and more.

Here's a slightly outdated newb friendly guide
>>
>>330100751
Mgs4 is better than 5. So if its Dogshit than 5 is unplayable.
>>
File: 4356789654.jpg (81 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
4356789654.jpg
81 KB, 300x425
>Legacy come's with the original Metal Gear Solid game

mgs1 is 10 bucks on psn. legacy just gives you a psn code anyways for 1, not on disc
the real difference is if you want to art book or not
and the book isn't worth it imo,
check it out here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wc3sIn7p7Q

only go legacy if it's cost is reasonable
>>
>>330100592

Legacy was there way of getting you to rebuy it again because it's the only way to get MGS1 on your PSP or Vita (without CFW).
>>
>>330100795
>Ghost Babel
>merely "decent"
It's arguably the most impressive game on the system and one of the best Metal Gear games in general. "Decent" is an understatement.
>>
>>330100880

*their

I'm tired...
>>
The Legacy Collection is just the HD collection with a MGS4 disc and MGS1 download code included, plus some bonus graphic novel things.
>>
>>330100830
>MGS4
>better than V

if you honestly believe this you should kill yourself. 4 is hardly even a fucking game. V, for all of its flaws, at least has more than 4 hours of gameplay
>>
File: 1361134810258.png (223 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1361134810258.png
223 KB, 1920x1080
>>330100928
Eh, it was ok. Definitely the best 2D Metal Gear for sure. I needed a guide for it just like with MG2, though. It was also much harder.

>>330101057
At least 4 was a complete, finished game.
>>
>>330100592
MGS1 is a download so don't get the Legacy collection used. And it comes with a neat mini-artbook with Shinkawa stuff.
>>
>>330100795
MGS1 isn't really unpolished though. It has its issues, but not from being unpolished. Its biggest problem is that the game doesn't have time to warm up its own game design. The second disc is a glorified boss rush with very little sneaking. What little level design is there is great, but the game never gets much more demanding than the introductory area. MG2 and GB do a much better job utilizing their mechanics.
>>
>>330101158
>Eh, it was ok.
>needed a guide
You disappoint me.
>>
>>330101057
The only thing that 5 has going for it is the gameplay.
other than that it is barely a Metel Gear Solid game.
>Horrible story
>Bland Characters
>Boring Boss fights
>very disappointing Ending
>>
>>330100880
>because it's the only way to get MGS1 on your PSP or Vita
legacy just gives you a psn code for mgs1 ps1 classic
it's no different than the one you can buy without legacy
>>
File: 11-FUCKcardboardboxesforever23.png (4 KB, 480x432) Image search: [Google]
11-FUCKcardboardboxesforever23.png
4 KB, 480x432
>>330101248
You mean to tell me you had fun going back and forth on those assembly lines for hours on end?

Or getting lost in all the samey looking buildings?

Really?
>>
>>330101363
>hours on end
All you have to do is pay attention to where you've been. I won't lie and tell you it was my favorite part of the game or anything, but I don't understand why it's bitched about so much. It's not that hard to navigate. Certainly not hard enough to need a guide.
>getting lost in all the samey looking buildings?
The game is pretty linear thanks to its mission structure. I never really got lost, either.
>>
>>330101158
>At least 4 was a complete, finished game.

>Shitty game has almost no gameplay, and the gameplay that is there is heavily on rails and is fraught with shitty segments like following that asshole and turret sequences
>BUT AT LEAST IT HAS A COMPLETE NARRATIVE!

>MGSV has stellar gameplay but gets repetitive around the 40-50hr mark
>Ending is slightly truncated due to development being rushed
>SHIT GAME 0/10 WORST IN THE SERIES

Metal Gear fans are the fucking worst.
>>
>>330102037
>MGSV has stellar gameplay
I disagree. That said, even though I also happen to think MGS4's gameplay is mostly crap (yes, even the first two acts) I can definitely see how someone else might prefer MGS4 despite traditional Metal Gear sneaking being restricted to the first two acts and the opening part of Act 5.

Personally, I think MGSV's loose end with Eli and Mantis is the least of its worries.
>>
>>330102037
>Ending slightly Truncated
MGS 5 has the worst Story and Ending of the whole Series.
>>
>>330102240
The story had issues, but there's plenty of good stuff there. I won't defend WOLBACHIA COPULATION and the like, but it's not all bad. I like the tie-ins with MGS2, especially in the Truth tapes, and even though Skull Face's plan is fucking insane him being the chaos to Zero's order is an interesting idea.

You're just butthurt about the Venom Snake twist so you think the entire story sux.
>>
>>330100845
>only go legacy if it's cost is reasonable

It is $24.60 brand new on Amazon right now. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
>>
>>330102361
The story has some interesting thematic ideas spread throughout, but they're mostly thin and suffer from flaccid delivery. The stupidity that is Venom Snake is the most egregious example of the game's lack of impact, but it goes for just about everything save for maybe Quiet's ending. And that's only assuming you actually give a fuck about her, which I don't.
>>
>>330102361
Your forgetting the parasites and The voiceless Protagonist.
>>
>>330102037
>MGSV has stellar gameplay

lmao if you enjoy modern TPS shooters, sure. It's way less janky but MGSV's gameplay is missing a lot of what made the earlier games great
>>
>>330101349
Whoa, now, are you talking about 4 or 5?

Trick question: The answer is both.
>>
>>330103271
Like what? Verbose cutscenes and overtly long codec intrusions?
>>
>>330103381
MGSV has pretty poor balancing and frequently dull level design. The former has been an issue with the series with MGS3 onward, admittedly. The bosses aren't exactly great, either.
>>
>>330102171
>Personally, I think MGSV's loose end with Eli and Mantis is the least of its worries.

That, and the thing with Huey and Salanthrophous had me so confused. How could anyone think those were good subplots?
>>
>>330104006
The boss fights are probably the second worst next to PW.
>>
>>330104071
Cutting that last mission rendered Eli's inclusion in the game utterly pointless since it never goes anywhere. He's just a little dick that hangs around Mother Base doing nothing like every other character in the game but Venom.
>>
>>330100880
Actually, you can download MGS1 onto your Vita straight from a PS3.
I don't have a PS3, so I was able to do it from my friend's.
>>
>>330104006
What is "good" level design in a Metal Gear Solid game? I want to hear specific examples. There's only one genuinely good level in the top-down metal gear games and I want you to tell me which one it is, so I can see if you're actually putting thought into this or you're just spouting unsupported, vague bullshit claims
>>
>>330105409
>There's only one genuinely good level in the top-down metal gear games

Yeah, he's the one who is spouting bullshit claims, not you. MGSV fags are really deluded.
>>
>>330105409
MG2, GB, and MGS2 all have good level design. MGS1's level design is pretty decent but it never quite develops because the second disc is mostly just boss fights.

MGSV's level design is too open and empty for stealth to be all that demanding. There are a few exceptions, but most of the game is reduced to crawling around everywhere, not unlike MGS3 before it. The guards do compensate for your tactics, but not enough to make a significant difference.
>>
>>330106113
The Tanker is the only good part of MGS2. Big Shell is just a couple of basic rooms that you mostly have to traverse linearly despite the hexagonal layout of the plant, and the only chance you get to explore is during the bomb disposal because it's so on rails before and after
>>
>>330107523
>Big Shell is just a couple of basic rooms
The Big Shell doesn't hold a lot of variation aesthetically, but in terms of enemy placement every area is pretty distinct. Even the connecting bridges vary in terms of what's going on. It is linear, but all of the Metal Gear games are linear, for the most part. MGS2 isn't really any different.
>>
>>330100592
play MGSV before you play MGS4

MGSV is more like an interlude, MGS4 really wraps up the series nicely
>>
>>330109360
MGSV involves plot points introduced in MGS4.
>>
They're all shit so none
>>
>>330109459
which you'll get to see play out in MGS4 anyway

MGSV is barely connected to any game except PW, that's really the only one you need to play
>>
>>330109554
You are so fucking retarded man Jesus Christ
>>
>>330109613
amazing refutation, you sure proved me wrong

stop parroting what /v/ tells you to say and learn how to think for yourself
>>
>>330109749
Says the guy talking shit about mgs V.
Ocelot being a main character refutes you on its own.
>>
>>330109554
You'll get to see them in MGS4, and MGSV gives the player a cute summary of everything via Ocelot anyway. But it's still better to just play the games in release order, even if MGSV is unsatisfying. It's not like MGS4 was a stellar conclusion. It's total shit.
>>
>>330109924
And nothing Ocelot does in MGSV really connects with MGS4
Face it, MGSV is not so much Metal Gear Solid V as it is Peace Walker 2
>>
>>330109924
you get to see Ocelot lay the groundwork for his scheme against the Patriots before seeing how EVERYTHING in the series pans out in MGS4. the whole thing ends on a final duel with Solid and Liquid just like Ocelot foreshadows. it's a much better ending note for the entire story than 'Truth'.

i never talked shit about MGSV, cool your autism. it's just not a missing link that completes the saga or any of that shit they said in the marketing. MGS4 is just a better ending point than MGSV.

>>330109967
it's more heartfelt, there's genuine emotion in those scenes and the acting. it doesn't have that alien hollow emotionless feeling almost everything in MGSV does. for all its faults it's a real celebration of the series whereas MGSV is trying to avoid being constrained by the past games as much as possible.
>>
>>330100592
will there ever be a hd collection for ps4?
it could redeem konami a little bit.
>>
File: The Order to play MGS games.jpg (2 MB, 2398x3442) Image search: [Google]
The Order to play MGS games.jpg
2 MB, 2398x3442
>>330100592
Get the Legacy Collection.
That way you get almost the WHOLE SERIES, in a single box, on a single machine.

Play in release order, starting with MGS1. It also has summaries of the 8-bit MG1 and 2 in the main menu. Check out the Briefing videos too.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.