[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How boring will this game be? How barren are the landscapes going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: nms.jpg (42 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
nms.jpg
42 KB, 460x215
How boring will this game be? How barren are the landscapes going to be? How repetitive will the game be? Is it going to be a big open world with nothing to do like so many games?
>>
>>330051350
>Another day, another NMS thread

I've no idea, personally I think it's going to be worth the $60. That said I'm not buying shit until I see some more gameplay.
>>
>>330051350
You can explore planets, dig for cave systems, hunt wildlife. You can mine for resources, trade them, buy cool shit or craft it yourself to help you go exploring innasystems. You can fight space pirates or become one yourself.

I guess to some people that sounds like nothing to do.
>>
File: 1456622370354.png (214 KB, 640x423) Image search: [Google]
1456622370354.png
214 KB, 640x423
>>330051551
>$60 for an indie game
gets me every time
>>
>>330051350
You just don't get it
>>
>>330051350
Like any open world game these days?

How I know this game will disappoint is because I'm excited for its arrival. But every time I feel this way, the game is either cancelled, vaporware, or complete horse shit.

So I'd say I'm pretty intuitive considering my track record.
>>
>>330052150
>Hurr durr

The most retarded argument against paying $60 for the game. Explain to me why you think that, just because it comes from an indie dev it should cost anything less than the market value.
>>
>>330052150
>indie games should be cheap because they're indie

Explain your reasoning.
>>
>>330052089
Can you link me a video showing any of that, really interested to see that in action!
>>
Technically impressive

Not much game beneath the surface

SPORE 2.0
>>
>>330052343
>>330052364

>Even bothering to reply to that

Come on, you should know better.
>>
>>330052150
But they made Joe Danger 1 and 2. They're really good indie devs.
>>
i'm gonna have to buy it

my gut is telling me it'll be a let down but what if it's fucking amazing? i can't afford to miss out on it, what if it isn't too good to be true guys?
>>
>>330051350
>How boring will this game be?
Less than haĆ²f-dozen daily topics about how boring the game will be
>>
>>330052401
Just search No Man's Sky on youtube senpai, IGN and GameSpot have videos.
>>
Why do people who dislike the game seem so adamant on everyone else knowing they dislike the game?
Just don't buy it.
>>
Why do people think "infinite planets" is a good thing?

They're all eventually going to look just like other planets you've been on and the world's going to feel pretty fucking empty.
>>
File: 2Lf60569.png (113 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
2Lf60569.png
113 KB, 240x240
>How boring will this game be?
If you're asking this at this point, you should probably not buy it because it's not for you.

I don't mean that to be a prick, I'm not saying it's "beyond" you or that you "don't get it" or anything like that. I mean it in the same way I'd say it for Euro Truck Sim 2 or Grow Home. No Man's Sky is clearly appealing to the same kind of "slow paced open world exploration" concept those two appeal to. And that kind of thing really is not for everyone.

I love the fuck out of Space Engine, Grow Home and Euro/American Truck Sim, and No Man's Sky is like a hybrid of those three games (the scale of Space Engine, the "collection" aspects of Grow Home and the slow paced travel of Truck Sims) so it appeals to me directly. If it does not do that for you, and you think it sounds boring, then it may just not be for you, and that's perfectly fine.
>>
>>330052638

This is /v/. That is literally all the explanation you need.
>>
>>330052150
just pirate it and wait for it to go on sale
>>
>>330052760
I know but this game in particular seems largely biased where more people come to the thread to dislike it than to like it.
>>
>>330052638
>Special snowflake syndrome

A lot of people on /v/ want to feel special, the best way to do that here is to find something popular and mindlessly hate on it, much like vegans telling every one everywhere that they're vegan.
>>
>>330052937
No Man's Sky isn't even popular, it's just a small bunch of people who are excited for it, the same kind of people who enjoy trucking threads.
>>
>>330052150
>$60 for any game
seriously since $60 seems to be the norm, every since i saw NMS i expected it to be around that price point
if i drop $60 into some AAA title that they shat out in 2 months why cant i drop 60 into some indie dev that worked non-stop, even postponing it to make it better
also i can be whatever the fuck i want and if i get bored, i can try something else
want to be a miner? go ahead
archaeologist? got that too
a space pirate, trader or adventurer? check check and check
now even though it looks cool as all hell right now, they've been relying on hype for advertisement right now and not so much gameplay, but the point of the game is to explore, so i understand why they dont want to spoil to much
if you dont want to buy it, then dont, but this looks like a game i can easily drop hundreds of hours into, making it worth the $60 i spend on it
>>
>>330053060
>No Man's Sky isn't even popular

Sure thing, bro.
>>
No Man's Sky gives you billions of planets and species to discover in the same way there are billions of combinations for a meal at McDonalds. The only difference is you won't be lovin' it.
>>
>>330053180
So, you played the game anon?
>>
>>330053170
This game appeals to a niche of nerds, I doubt mainstream gamers have even heard of it to be honest.
>>
>>330053180
>billions of planets

Quintillions of planets, anon, thats 18 billion billion planets
>>
>>330053336

I don't even know what "mainstream gamer" means anymore. Are those the people that play undertale?
>>
>>330053492
Call of Duty, Minecraft and Madden.
Games which actually sell millions.
>>
>>330053336
>This game appeals to a niche of nerds

Yeah, sure.
>>
>>330053589

God, kill me now.
>>
>>330053589
So you can only know what makes a game mainstream after the fact? So how can you know that NMS doesn't appeal to the mainstream?
>>
>>330053712
If they haven't heard of something then it isn't appealing to them, goes without saying.

If you don't watch press events or following gaming news there's no reason for you to have even heard of this game.

Normies certainly don't watch E3.
>>
File: 1456321391306.png (124 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1456321391306.png
124 KB, 512x512
>>330053180
kek that got me.
I really need to see more gameplay with more diversity in planets.
The fact that there is a asston of planets is cool and all, but fuck I'm not just trying to see recolored shit.
>>
>>330051350
/v/ hates it?

Then im buying day one.

You weebs have the most shit tier of taste, and doing the exact opposite of what you shitters say has paid dividends.
>>
>>330054256

So you actually liked mass effect 3?
>>
>>330053827
>Mainstream is defined by sales
>But this unreleased game isn't mainstream
>B...because people haven't heard of it
>A...and they haven't heard of it because it isn't mainstream.

This is a retarded argument. Also games sell well all the time, look at Mass Effect the original sold well enough for EA to gobble up Bioware.

>Normies certainly don't watch E3.

Sure anon, vidya is your super sekret club that those people who bullied you in high school know nothing about.

>21 million people watched E3 last year.
>>
>>330054256
What the hell does Japan have to do with this?
>>
>>330054465
The only thing I was saying is that this game isn't popular right now.
Maybe it will be in the future, I'm not Mystic Meg so I have no idea.

If people want to hate things just for being popular there are far better targets to go after.
>>
>>330053473
Yeah, just add infinite patties and you've got literally infinite McDonald's combinations. That's the kind of variety you can expect from NMS.
>>
>>330054427

Not the one you refered, but game play wise, I found it enjoyable.
>>
>>330053989
Have you seen the recent video? Frozen planet, pretty cool stuff
>>
>>330054693

Meh, fair enough.
>>
>>330054671
>That's the kind of variety you can expect from NMS.
i see you've played the game, tell me more
>>
>>330054793
>Literally the same planet but now with white ground
>>
>>330051350
Mods will fix it. Worth the $60 pham
>>
As long as you can set a course to a planet another player discovered and shared it'll be alright.
>>
>>330054880
overgeneralising
>literally the same game but now with different classes
>literally the same game but now with different guns
>>
>>330054880
And subzero temperature you need to protect yourself against, by recharging your suit or seeking heat sources, which can be done by blowing up a cave in a mountain.
>>
>>330054923
I hope your trolling.
>>
File: 467887.jpg (6 KB, 158x160) Image search: [Google]
467887.jpg
6 KB, 158x160
>>330054923

> Mods will fix it. Worth the $60 pham

WTF am i reading... so im paying 60 bucks for some incomplete shit hoping that ANOTHER party will make the game better? Why am I paying the 60 in the first place then? If, in this example, the original game will be worthless and I will have to wait for an UNOFFICIAL fix.

I guess I should pay the modders them...
I Hope this guy >>330055284 is right about ur post, for you own mental health.
>>
>>330055094
don't forget the ruins you can find explaining the lore behind the different races in the universe
>>
>>330055394
>WTF am i reading

The logic that makes bethesda titles GOTY. NMS is the perfect analogy
>>
>>330055394

*fix: Why am I paying the 60 in the first place then? as, in this example, the original game will be worthless and I will have to wait for an UNOFFICIAL fix.

I guess I should pay the modders then...
>>
You guys can stop calling it an """"""indie"""""" game now with SCE backing it and whoring it to every single news outlet who will listen.
>>
>>330051350
It's not like the gameplays have shown anything else other than EXPLORE THE INFINITE EMPTINESS.

FOR WHAT YOU SAY? NIGGER ITS INFINITE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.

This procedural open-world parasite has to end. I'd rather have the intense hand-crafted 5 hour long games from 2009 than 400 hours of procedural copy-pasted bullshit.
>>
>>330055526

Skyrim is AT LEAST, playable without mods. It is infinitely better with them, but you are able to properly play it and have some fun without them.
>>
>>330055593
SCE have no relation to the game besides giving the dev a spotlight at some Sony events. They are not a publisher nor offering any major funding for the project.
>>
>>330055619
then don't play procedural games
i for one love the idea of seeing something no one else has ever and most likely never will see
discovering new animals, plunging to the bottom of the ocean, solving puzzles to open portals, upgrading my suit to withstand the extreme temperatures, decoding long forgotten relics, all of which weren't even hand crafted by humans
no one's forcing you to get it, and to other's it's what they've been wanting for a long time
>>
>>330056031
Whatever you say Gareth Bourn
>>
>>330055619
>YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.
Why do people keep using this phrase when no one involved with the game has said anything of the sort?

Nobody has said "You can do anything." They've said >>330052089

That's not "anything".
>>
ONE MILE WIDE

ONE INCH DEEP
>>
File: 2016.png (104 KB, 276x248) Image search: [Google]
2016.png
104 KB, 276x248
60 US DOLLARS.

ZERO ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

INFINITE BOREDOM
>>
>>330054874
I haven't played it, but I've got my big boy thinking cap on and after a few minutes of thinking and watching the trailers I was able to figure out that this game procedurally generates spheres with different life blobs and sticks with leaves and elements and colors and you fly to different spheres in your toy spaceship and you can destroy stuff. Have fun paying $60 for the potential of a game to play on your PS4.
>>
The only question I have is will there be separate servers for pc and console or crossplay?
>>
>>330052731
Isn't that life though Anon?
>>
>>330056535
>Isn't that life?

Yep.

>What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.
>>
>>330056482
what's the point of any game then
>you kill the bad guys to get better loot to kill more bad guys
>you kill the enemy team to win and get better at the game to kill the enemy team better
>you beat a puzzle to move onto the next room with a new puzzle
>you catch a pokemon to weaken and catch other pokemons
this game is different from every other game, and every other game is different from all the other games too
>but my game has a story
so does no man's sky, it's just not narrated
>>
>>330057007
You're missing my entire point. It's not about what a game is on paper. Some games sound terrible on paper but are a blast to play, and other games (No Man's Sky) sound amazing on paper and aren't any fun to play at all or offer no real substance in terms of actual gameplay.

We haven't gotten to play it yet, and we won't know for sure until then, but it certainly doesn't look like firing that blaster on foot or aboard your ship would be any fun in practice, and discovering another generated planet with generated life forms with no real care or purpose put into their designs sounds about as mundane as real life.
>>
So NMS is basically a modern version of Noctis with pretty colours?

If so, I'm down.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.