[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 9
File: D3vsPOE.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
D3vsPOE.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
So which is the better game at this point? I know Diablo had a very rocky start and some people are still salty over that, but has it redeemed itself?

Does PoE even stand a chance when comparing them?
>>
>>329930274
POE is more Diablo than Diablo 3 is Diablo.
>>
>>329930350
How so?
>>
>>329930274
poe is kinda boring desu
>>
>>329930274
>Does PoE even stand a chance when comparing them?
PoE has always completely destroyed any diablolike since diablo2, the only ones that tried not to compete but just being decent are the van helsing games and grim dawn

titan quest is a meme, don't bring it up if you don't want your opinion to just be laughed away
>>
>>329930274
Diablo 3 is infinitely superior in pretty much arguable aspect, so there's that.
>>
Grim dawn is the best arpg you can play right now
>>
Path of Exile is more like Titan Quest. Which in turn was influenced by Diablo II. It has more old school design and graphics, but infinitely better gameplay.

Diablo III is more like World of Warcraft mixed with a shitty JRPG. Diablo III has better graphics, but that's about it.
>>
>>329930598
but titan quest was amazing
>>
Did they turn off the code that manipulated drop rates into forcing players to use the Real Money Auction House? That was one sleazy p2w scheme

>blizzard didn't make it p2w!
>they're just taking themselves a cut off of every single transaction done on the Market (like Steam Marketplace, or eBay)
>and have code in the game that reduces drop rates...

PoE becomes such a massive autism grinder though.
>>
Both games are utter trash. Even shitty games like Realms of Ancient War are more fun than those wastes of time.
>>
>>329930274
poe is fuckin boring and try hard as fuck
its all shit optimized and launches in fuckin 10min, crashes when you change a setting, opening a chest freezes the games make yu die
>>
>>329931338
>Diablo 3 has better graphics
>>
>Diablo 3 is horrible
>that must mean PoE is good
PoE is so bad, I don't want to play it anymore even though it's free and I have nothing else to play right now.
On the other hand, I wouldn't play Diablow even if it was free, either.
>>
>>329931763

i don't remember crashing. i remember you would occasionally have hiccuping if you opened a lockbox with a big-ass ambush, which was always superfun.
>>
>>329931672
That's the weirdest part, a game is either p2p or f2p-p2w, not p2p-p2w, this is eternal jewing.
It's like jewing the consumer twice, or JEWING2
>>
Grim dawn
>>
Grim dawn
>>
>Diablo 3 has no variety
>PoE has variety but it doesn't matter
They're both meh. But I had more fun with PoE, way more fun.
I prefer Titan Quest.
>>
The new Lord's Labyrinth in PoE is just amazing.
>>
>>329932410
>>329932604
samefag

Grim Dawn
>>
>>329930598
>diablolike
how to spot a retard
>>
>>329931763
>I haven't played since closed beta
Ftfy
>>
>>329930598
Torchlight is great though.
>>
PoE is the true inheritor to the Diablo title and has more depth than nearly any contemporary game.

Other ARPGs cannot compete, although they are usually worth a playthrough to experience the content.
>>
>>329932937
I haven't played since the open beta first began back in like December 2013 or 2012 or however long ago that was.

What has changed now?
>>
>>329930274
Diablo 3 is shit. It absolutely has not been fixed.

>>329933147
They finished act 3 and added an act 4.
>>
>>329931290
>freezes that force you to hard reset
Yeah gonna need some time before going back to that mess, though I enjoyed the couple hours I got into it before the bs started
>>
>>329930486
No offense but you probably only scratched it's surface. The poe catfting is better than all of d3 already
>>
>>329933257
I bought it 3 days ago and have put 15 hours into it without the slightest hiccup. And im playing on a damn laptop
>>
>>329933506
Six hours in myself before it happened, haven't tried it since.
It happens with other people's rigs too.
>>
I dunno guys, I played Diablo 3 recently and I had quite a lot of fun playing a monk. Is this normal?
>>
recent patch of PoE plays better

digging the league
>>
>>329933080
>calculating the optimal path to healthnodes, flask spam and grinding by holding down rightclick with any of the gorillion skills that feel the same, play the same and use the same support gems
>depth
>>
I don't play PoE because i hate the link and skill gem shit.
>>
Are there any ARPGs that the gameplay isn't just "hold down right click to win?"

That's basically Vanquisher in Torchlight, Outlander in Torchlight 2, Duelist in PoE and damn near everyone in Diablo III.

I need to go back to Torchlight and try more classes.
>>
>>329930274
I haven't played the new PoE patch yet but I'll probably say PoE has a slight lead over current D3 RoS
>>
>>329930468
For starters PoE is not as shit as Diablo 3.
>>
>>329934050
yes, its better than it used to be and monk is the only fun class
>>
>>329934359
Great meme. Enjoy diablo and the free unique Set for logging in
>>
File: dude.jpg (119 KB, 1093x900) Image search: [Google]
dude.jpg
119 KB, 1093x900
>shitty for new players
>shitty slow and boring early game
>have to spend hours theory crafting to make any viable build
>>
>>329930274
>tfw really want to like PoE but have no idea how to get into it
It doesn't help the community is a bunch of fucking faggots who only answers are solo it and it's not hard.
>>
>>329931672
it'll be a year that the rmah/ah has been closed down on the 18th
>>
>>329934736
>looking at google for the fancy fotm budget build takes hours
huh?
>>
Played both, D3 more than PoE.

Diablo 3 is a game that you have to do very little research on. You go into the game, choose a class and they have a set amount of abilities you learn and runes that can augment those abilities. The combat, in my opinion, is more fun. It just feels very smooth and polished.

Main thing in Diablo 3 is seasons currently. Seasons essentially are reset leaderboards. You create a new character when a new one starts, level up, get to max level and start getting your character geared through rifts, bounties and greater rifts. When you're character has a good build and suitable gear to fit that build, you start to run greater rifts. Greater Rifts are almost the only thing to do end game. If you don't enjoy that, then there's not much else except leveling another character and getting that small % upgrade that will help you push higher GR level. After a couple of months, the season ends and then a new one begins a little later.

Granted if you're new to D3, you can skip that if you please and just do normal non-season (there's not really anyone doing that though).

I'll give you what I know about PoE. It helps immensely to plan out your build. If you don't, you might end up fucking up and your build could be complete shit. Winging it is okay if it's your first time, just to get a feel of the game and it's mechanics. The combat feels a bit clunky and overall slower than D3. There is a player driven economy. "Currency" in PoE is essentially items that can modify gear.
>>
>>329930274

Path of Exile, because I'm still banned from Blizzard games.
>>
>>329930274
My problem with PoE is that the combat is just fucking boring. I appreciate the depth of the game but there's just no velocity when you hit something. It's not satisfying. At all
>>
>pay to trade
>>
>>329932698
I would take a screenshot to prove it wasn't me but I am on the phone.

dawn grim
>>
>>329934621
Personal preferences you haven't given one good reasonable argument.
>>
>>329934930
Depends on the skill. I found Lightning Arrow to be super satisfying.
>>
>>329934930
Fucking this swining a two hander and stopping as soon as you touch the enemy triggers my OCD.
>>
Diablo 3 has a lot of polish and evolved, balanced gameplay, whereas Path of Exile is more retro and sports more customization and actual builds.
>>
>>329934381
>socket colors are rng
>getting above 4 sockets is expensive as fuck
>getting above 4 links is even more expensive
>can't just pick up and use upgrades for your gear when you find them because of fucking socket mechanics
>skillgems have stat requirements
>the "customization" with support gems is a joke
"You can do ANYTHING"
later
"You can't do anything"
>>
>>329933257
I have the same issue but I still love it
>>
>>329935049
Glad i'm not the only who thinks its a pile of shit. I don't have any good ARPGs to play. I didn't like Grim Dawn either. I guess i'll just play diablo 2 again.
>>
>>329930274
poe has a shit ton of pretty cool mechanics stacked on top of each other. diablo 3 is kind of bare bones. but d3 has an infinitely more satisfying core combat system and presentation in general (whoever is in charge of the art at GGG is not really good at what they do)
>>
File: 1446324469886.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1446324469886.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>329930274
Anyone else feel like PoE would be better if you could be a jew and Subscribe to it for a monthly amount of coins instead of having to buy shit every day if you want it?
>>
>>329935209
its a nice concept, but the complete randomness of sockets and links ruins it, I'd rather farm 1 day to make a socket/link combo, than play and not know when it's gonna be nice
>>
File: 1398539752340.jpg (78 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
1398539752340.jpg
78 KB, 340x565
>get good gear in PoE
>still look like a homeless person with sheet metal strapped to him
>>
>>329934849
cont.

PoE has seasons, or "Leagues" that have different things going on with them, unlike D3. So when you start, you won't be TOO far behind, but if you start 1 month into the league you'll be a bit behind. Granted at that point prices will go down on most things so it won't be terrible.

Here's the part I'm not sure about, but I think I can describe it decently.

End game for PoE are maps (and I think other things, but as I said I don't know, so someone else can describe it). Maps are similar to rifts in D3 except they have modifiers that make them harder, or sometimes easier. It makes it more varied and fun. Fun for some builds, could fuck you over on others.

Overall, if you want a jump in and play game that your friends can pick up and play also, D3 is the way to go. If you don't mind the game having less depth to it and your character has a very static progression.

If you want a more "hardcore" game that you can crunch numbers on and you like planning out your character that you can modify along the way, PoE is probably your best bet. It has multiplayer and it's free to play.

The only thing I strongly dislike in PoE is that your character has a passive tree, and if you want to try a completely different build, you have to essentially reroll or get a SHITLOAD of currency to redo all your passive skill points (I think it's still like that? I have no idea I just remember old PoE).
>>
File: 1422113502780.png (544 KB, 717x678) Image search: [Google]
1422113502780.png
544 KB, 717x678
>>329931672
Yes, and they turned the RoS expansion pack into a really expensive patch in the process. You don't even get 10 hours of campaign for the money.
>>
File: 1349096035637.png (106 KB, 593x554) Image search: [Google]
1349096035637.png
106 KB, 593x554
>people complain about skill links being a pain
>I don't get it because I got a tabula rasa on my first char
>>
>>329934991
One game being shittier than the other is a pretty nice argument buddy.

Seriously though, PoE is a more Diablo than Diablo 3 simply because Diablo 3 strayed off what Diablo originally was in favor of a wider audience.
>>
Each of them have things that I like.
I like PoE's skill gems if only because I could effectively mix and match many active skills however I wish. Not really much else. It feels really slow and dull, most of the skills are pretty lame, and any class build can be generalized to "maximize one stat".

I like the general feel and pacing of Diablo 3's combat and that I have all of a class's skills that can be modified instead of specializing in a select few if not one attack skill ala Diablo II.

I like several of Torchlight's quality of life details. The general gameplay however was nothing really standout.

I like Grim Dawn's weapons, classes and skills themselves being so bombastic. Not so much the old style of dumping all of your points into 16 ranks of one skill to make sure it remains viable. At the least, you had enough points to learn several skills and make them effective so you aren't always just holding down the mouse to use your one good skill over and over.

Between PoE and D3, I'd probably have to go with D3. Overall, I'd take Grim Dawn.
None of them however have really captured me like the original Diablo. I very much liked that I could find spell books, learn them all and use them as I pleased in D1 as opposed to so many of these Diablo-likes following the Diablo 2 Skill Tree of each skill having many ranks for one skill which most of the time turns the class into "hold mouse down, use one skill".
>>
>>329934849
D3 sounds insanely boring. The only thing that brought me to D2 was trading and PVP and now that it doesn't have anything like that the game can pound sand.
>>
>>329936193
If you don't like running greater rifts, it's a very "pick up and play for a week or 2 with friends and put it down" game. PoE has more longevity and more time investment in it. D3 doesn't have trading and has PvP but LITERALLY no one does it, and it's just a fun thing to do with friends.

I believe PoE has PvP, but once again it's probably not the focus what-so-ever for people playing.
>>
File: white wolf.png (1 MB, 1029x842) Image search: [Google]
white wolf.png
1 MB, 1029x842
>>329935497
>get good gear in D3
>textures still look PS2 quality when zoomed in
>>
>>329936397
I just want D2 2.0 ;_;
>>
>>329936397

PoE has a PvP arena in Sarn

I guess maybe a few faggots PvP, but I'm sure that takes a different build than an optimized PvE build and who the fuck has the time to grind for a gorillion hours to make a level 100 just to PvP against like one other guy
>>
>>329936554
If you want D2 2.0, I'd actually say Grim Dawn. The community is small, multiplayer is also a bit janky. It's primarily a single player game. The game systems are somewhat similar from what I've heard.

I'd say take a look at it. I've had fun with it.
>>
>>329936554
D2 was shit.

Some builds were objectively terrible compared to others. Oops! Fucked up your build? Time to reroll faggot because there's no respec feature.
>>
>>329936790

And respec in PoE costs so many tokens of scouring currency that you may as well start over if you need to do significant respec. It's only good for "eh turns out taking the Blood Magic node is still a terrible idea even if you take those cost reduction bubbles that are behind it"
>>
>>329936790
oh no you might need to put an other hour or two into the game. how horrible
>>
>>329937079
>60 hours in
>oops, accidently spent a skill point in the wrong spot
>hurr just start over faggot

How about no, I'll play a game that doesn't kick you in the balls for playing it?
>>
>>329935497
Thats literally what you are though?
unless they added housing since the last time ive played
>>
>>329933408
>catfting
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1326719649256.jpg (36 KB, 404x581) Image search: [Google]
1326719649256.jpg
36 KB, 404x581
i like to play median XL
>>
>>329937378
I don't know if you're serious, but eh.

Crafting essentially means spending the currency you get to upgrade or modify gear.

Say you have a white item, you can take that white item, apply one of the currencies that upgrade a normal item to a magic item. Now it's a blue item. You can reroll the stats with another currency of a different name. You can upgrade it to a rare item with another currency of a different name.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Crafting
>>
>>329930274
path of exile is boring
>>
>>329937681
I read it as catfling, thought you were literally bragging about a mechanic that lets you fling cats.

I got a bit into PoE and yeah the crafting was definitely one of the interesting aspects of the game.
>>
>>329934637
>not having fun with witch doctor chicken build
for shame
>>
>>329937826
oh sorry I didn't even realize

im dyslexic I suppose
>>
>>329934659
>free unique set
>you have to play to max level, then get a bunch of legendaries to get GR20 solo done, by which point you probably already have another set
Great meme.
>>
File: hot damn.jpg (195 KB, 730x630) Image search: [Google]
hot damn.jpg
195 KB, 730x630
how about grim dawn, lads?
>>
>>329934659
>>329938076
This free set bullshit is terrible, and killed this season faster than it should have been killed off, for me.
>>
>>329935989
What was Diablo originally? Could you go into detail please?
>>
>>329937179
Ive put thousands of hours into D2. literally never happened. why dont you stop whining about shit that doesnt matter in a 50 year old game?
>>
>>329938294
How? Most of the free sets are pieces of shit, and it's non-ancient pieces.
>>
>>329936621
>PoE has a PvP arena in Sarn
And it's shit because you always have that one idiot standing in the middle and shooting 3000 explosive arrows per second. PoE's PVP is the antithesis of fun.

>>329938383
It was more like PoE and less like Diablo3. This why PoE is more like Diablo than DIablo3.
Keep wasting time trying to alienate me with inane questions buddy, it sure is working.
>>
>>329934780
Shit I thought this happened 2 years ago lol
>>
>>329938579
Great job on dodging the question, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>329931738
>RoAW

What's the best time waster, honest question Im itching for new vidya.
>>
>>329938814
>Dodging the qustion
I literally addressed the question though.
I already explained why PoE is more like DIablo than Diablo 3 is. Which is exactly what you asked for the first time.
You are just asking questions to cherrypick retarded shit to argue about because you couldn't find shit to argue about in the first serious explanation I gave you.

Keep trying, pal.
>>
>>329934834
>So poorly designed you have to actually look on google for viable build.
>>
>>329939262
So I take you have never played the game, didn't comprehend the post you are quoting or both?
>>
Going to go with Grim Dawn. I am thoroughly enjoying how each character is extremely customizable and, there's a lot granting you new skills.

The devotion tree can grant you new skills, the mods you put onto your gear can do the same. It really allows you to create an unique character.

The atmosphere is pretty spot on too, there are certain times where the scenario feels like something straight out diablo 1 or 2, they managed to recreate that art style perfectly. The music is also pretty great.

I am not liking the animations though, they look pretty simplistic and there doesn't seem to be any variety to them. I am nitpicking though and for the rest, the game is pretty damn great.
>>
>>329939109
Not once did you ever say what characteristics about the games that made them similiar/dissimilar.
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>329939974

not that anon but PoE has actual RPG elements to it where as Diablo 3 is a gear bukakke game where set items are the end all be all of everything. In PoE things are actually rare and you're encouraged to trade to get what items you need to become better AND leveling makes a difference in PoE where as you can be max level in diablo 3 in an hour

That being said I dont like either one of them. I dont have the patience to play a game over run by bots or a game that devolves into spamming one skill repeatedly
>>
>>329939109
The only thing you did is repeating your own nonsense like a broken record.
>>
>>329939974
>>329940312
>Not once did you ever say what characteristics about the games that made them similiar/dissimilar.
I don't have to. PoE is closer to Diablo than Diablo 3 for the reason I already pointed out which is exactly what was being asked in the third post in this very thread.
Now if you want to know how Diablo was you can do two things:
A) Check how Diablo was
B) Check how PoE is, and you'll have a rough idea of what Diablo was like

I'm not going to bother writing what Diablo or PoE are like just because you feel like asking bothersome questions that you know people are not going to answer just so you can 'win the argument' because people didn't fulfill your inane requests.
>>
>>329940638
The fact that you used so many words to say "I actually haven't bothered thinking about what makes them different, so I can't articulate it" means that you should probably stop fucking posting.
>>
>>329940638
Do the world a favour and stop posting - and please stop breathing too.
>>
>>329940876
>>329941118
>I actually haven't bothered thinking about what makes them different, so I can't articulate it
I actually haven't bothered thinking what makes them different, because that's not the question I answered to begin with.

I'll put it really simple for you both to understand
>someone asked what makes PoE more of a Diablo game than Diablo 3
>I explain it in a nutshell
>two thick-skulled drones butt in
>"BUT U DIDN'T EXPLAIN WHY THE GAMES ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!"
You shouldn't get involved in conversations if you lack basic reading skills, folks.
>>
>>329931672
>code in the game that reduces drop rates
Not that I'm defending Blizzard's jewishness but drop rates are literally code. They don't have some special code for reducing drop rates, they just have drop rates.
>>
>>329937378
Even retards can read those purposely misspelled paragraphs that get posted on Facebook and yet you are not smart enough to realize he meant crafting?
>>
>>329938162
bought this the other day and fucking love it. to the point where i havent tried the poe patch yet. but I will eventually
>>
>>329941617
Serious question, how do you breathe?
Are you hooked up to a life support machine that does that for you because the rest of your brain is busy constructing moronic shitposts?
>>
grim dawn
>>
>>329942308
Why don't you do the sensible thing and stop embarrassing yourself further like the other poster appears to have done after understanding that he was having an empty argument?
If after that kindergarten-friendly greentext you still don't understand that you've been wrong this entire time I really don't know how to make it easier for you to understand, but I assure you that throwing a petty childish tantrum is not going to help much.
The explanation is there. If you want to be in denial about it, more power to you I guess.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.