[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to save the MMO genre: >put more focus on leveling content
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
How to save the MMO genre:
>put more focus on leveling content than end game, it will attract a wider audience
>make leveling actually take a long time, but not from grind, from having lots of content and features
>make features of the game like crafting actually be worthwhile while leveling
>release new leveling content plus dungeons in DLC that you pay real money for

Basically, make them more like RPGs again and less like WoW
>>
>>329929672
How to actually save the MMORPG genre without going to the magic lands of infinite money and time-stasis-powered development time:
>first step: remove the first "M"
>second step: there is no second step
Simple and effective.
>>
>>329930383
>Massive Online Role Playing Game
What would be the difference?
>>
>>329930476
>multiplayer massive online role playing game
>>
>>329930476
Massively Multiplayer, you silly.
>>
>>329930383
How would removing
>massive
change anything? You need to go a bit more in depth on what exactly that would entail
>>
>>329930558
>>329930727
But MMO stands for Multi-Massive Online
>>
File: 1366332621653.jpg (110 KB, 800x770) Image search: [Google]
1366332621653.jpg
110 KB, 800x770
>>329930835
No, they don't. Even Google will tell you that, silly anon.
Except if you are a filth BR or something.
>>
>>329931041
Yeah I just had a looksie on google and I'm genuinely surprised. I've always thought it literally stood for Multi-Massive, probably because of what people said about WoW back when it was new and I was a naive teen. Welp.
>>
>>329929672
What does wakarimasen mean?
>>
Are there any mmos with focus on levelling and having a wide skill set like Runescape?
>>
>>329931257
I dunno
>>
File: 1450500114315.jpg (119 KB, 551x858) Image search: [Google]
1450500114315.jpg
119 KB, 551x858
>>329931257
"the pleasure of being cummed inside"
>>
>>329931257
sorry
>>
>>329931259
I'm looking for the same, but also have crafting and farming, too

I liked LOTRO, it reminds me of RS, but the inventory system in it is so shit. You basically get no bags as a free player and are kind of forced to spend real money to buy some or you can't even play the game anymore because you've run out of bag room.
>>
MMO are fucked. The high level players will make sure there is no exploration and secrets, and will require you to study everything before, the low level players don't have the patience to level, the internet will spoil you, and there is too much social media so people won't socialize again.

WoW is how mmo have to be, glorified time wasters, though the genre can and should be better.
>>
>make these changes to attarct more people, basically make it less like the MOST POPULAR MMO EVER BY A HUGE MARGIN

OP do you even listen to yourself?
>>
>>329931257

Negative conjugation of wakaru which can mean a number of things but generally has to do with understanding. Wakarimasen is close to "I don't know" or "I don't understand", leaning more towards the latter than the former.
>>
also make shit a bit more amateur friendly.

when somebody that has never p;played an mmo sees all kinds of text boxes popped up it makes you feel intimidated
>>
>>329931683
Dude what. Single player games fall victom to spoilers as well fyi. Nobody is safe from game content anywhere..
>>
Making leveling important again is key. The problem is that the WoW model of expansions invalidates old content, leaving the game only with new content.

MMOs need a model that can support expansions without depreciating old content.
>>
>>329932076
It's much easier to not find out about spoilers in a single player game
>>
>>329931683
Wouldn't procedural generation solve that problem?
Speaking of which is there an MMO that makes heavy use of it?
>>
>>329932076
There is a huge difference between "looking for spoilers/guides just because you are stuck/stupid/2curious" and "looking for spoilers/guides because it is either that or being kicked out of every high level content parties because people want to complete content as fast as possible".
MMOs aren't designed with "exploration/discovery" as part of the development direction, that is what he is talking about. This kind of thing would never work nowadays, anyway. The MMO userbase changed a lot.

>>329932669
PSO2 works like that (not exactly a typical "procedural generation", though), and the "problem" remains because everything else (items, enemies, puzzle mechanics) still are the same. But it makes things way less repetitive, at least, and there is also the fact that everything is fairly obvious so you just use guides to check "who drops what".
>>
File: 1393876958441.gif (990 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1393876958441.gif
990 KB, 270x270
How to save MMORPGS is simple go back to its roots.

Ultima, Showbane, Ascheron's Call: Darktide server, and Darkfall Online

Adding actual FPS aiming, player run poliitics and a true sandbox, to not just play in, but exist in as a part of the world and shape the story based around the actions of you and your clan.

If only there were a game like that.

Oh wait Darkfall Online is coming back to save MMORPG games form the stagnant theme park abyss they've fallen into.

Check out Rise of Agon. Darkfall was truly ahead of its time and where MMO's need to go to breathe new life into the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOj59CqaZ2I
https://darkfallriseofagon.com/
>>
File: 1384380705633.jpg (50 KB, 300x274) Image search: [Google]
1384380705633.jpg
50 KB, 300x274
>>329929672
How about... Make the combat+leveling actually fun and enjoyable instead of a monotonous and tedious chore.
>>
>>329931830
WoW is losing players because there's nothing to do in the game but raid
>>
>>329934024
Of course, one of the huge problems with WoW is that while leveling you basically one shot everything
>>
>>329933648
>If only there were a game like that.
More like, if only there are enough people interested in playing and wasting their money on a game like that. MMOs are in this shitty state because the current audience/userbase accepts and enjoys this shitfest.
>>
>>329934064
WoW is losing player because it's fucking 10+ years old.
>>
File: 13224108486.jpg (19 KB, 187x295) Image search: [Google]
13224108486.jpg
19 KB, 187x295
>>329929672
You can't save what is already dead.
Necromancy isn't going to save it either.
>>
>>329929672
So, the secret world? I talk about this in a lot of mmo threads but no one ever listens to me. Aside from the stupid references the game is good
>>
>>329929672
how to change the holy trinity
>tanks have very few damaging abilitles. If it does to damage it is small and most likely increases threat generation. No self-heal. lots of defensive shit and threat generation

>healers have 1-2 attacks. some different heals in the sense of "heal 1" or "heal all". Maybe 1 heal over time. some other abilities could be transferring life to mana or vice versa. Also remove most if not all buffs

>split DPS into two groups - instant and dot. also they get no buffs. a couple defensive/dodge abilities. Otherwise they shit out attack skills

>support class. buffs, debuffs, some CC. All that shit they should have but people have mostly divided it among the dps/tank/healer classes
>>
>>329935562
That's pretty much how it is now except for the culling of the support non-healer class, I'm not sure what your point is unless you want to make tanks do LITERALLY zero damage they already get outperformed by DPS by a wide margin in pretty much any MMO.
>>
>>329935562
>how to make the trinity more boring and less "trinity"-like than it already is - the post
>>
>>329930769
I've also thought this was a good idea, so I will jump in since you did not get a reply yet. What I imagine is that the game will show a limited number of players based on the area. Towns would have a large number of people, but as you explore farther out you would start to see less random people even if other players actually are in the same area. This way they could concentrate more on world design rather than needing to have open areas with infinity respawing monsters. This way when you are out exploring with a group it would feel more like a smaller scale multiplayer game, but still have the occasional random encounter.

I would also be perfectly satisfied if it were made on the scale of a typical single player game rather than something that people are expected to keep playing for months. If the game were made to target a smaller player count per area this shouldn't completely kill the game when people start to leave.
>>
One character can do everything in the game so that you don't have to juggle alts through tons of old content. Class change is easy, you can access all professions.

Low initial level cap that's easy to reach, but tons of timesinks between leveling each class and other progression tracks. A lot of people talk about how making the leveling game more interesting, but I think the idea is inherently flawed because even if they succeed in making in great, a large bulk of the player base will still opt to rush into end game.

Characters aren't separated by server. Each zone has new instances of itself generated as it reaches capacity. Players can opt to join different instance numbers if they want to get a private zone without competition to just play through with friends.

The holy trinity still exists in effect but every class is balanced asymmetrically, where some are significantly weighed towards certain aspects of the game compared to others. End game content would be designed around variety rather than scaling numbers, requiring different loadouts, composition and strategy to tackle.

Attempt to create gameplay mechanics that encourage a good community. Benefits towards mentoring new players, an easy method for new players to find parties for content that doesn't even require it, things outside of dungeons and challenges.
>>
>>329935562
That's nearly what the trinity is now in games like FFXIV.

How to make the trinity change on its own:
>No aggro/threat
>Solid bodies
>Modeled projectiles that travel and can be evaded/actively blocked rather than a to-hit chance spells and missiles

The Threat system that virtually every MMORPG uses is what naturally causes and necessitates the trinity. The tank draws all of the attention and takes a shitload of damage, therefore requiring dedicated healers. While those two are focused on making sure nobody else takes damage, the DPS whittle down the baddies.

The only thing that tactics and position have to do with anything is in stepping out of the telegraphed area damage fields. However, if the big warrior guy with a shield doesn't have the superpower of making all the monsters hate him automatically, the party may have to consider formations and environmental tactics. High ground, cover, pincer attacks, group-effort crowd control.

Something like that.
>>
>>329929672
Make leveling take longer but also mean less while making every class not viable for all the content but still possible.

Remove instances as a general end game mechanic and only use it sparingly for events.

Reward specializing for classes in a way that covering 1 thing (DoT, DPS, Burst) is very strong, 2 things is strong, and 3 things is the break-off so as to encourage partying with others to finish content.
>>
>>329935562
No fuck this, MMOs were not better when individual contribution meant nothing.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.