[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I wasting my money if I decide to quit at HR? Already reached
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (418 KB, 1500x1056) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
418 KB, 1500x1056
Am I wasting my money if I decide to quit at HR?

Already reached 100+ hours but I think I'm having a burnout from this game.

Hunting ain't fun anymore, feels like a chore now and it's getting harder and harder.

I'm feeling so conflicted right now.
>>
>>329896718
Either take a break or try a different weapon.
The game can get pretty monotonous if you're forcing yourself to play it.
>>
Give it a break for a while. If you don't want to come back to it after, it's not your kind of game.

Maybe try a new weapon or something. Switch Axe and HBG are fun, but it'll take a while for you to git gud with HBG.
>>
>>329896892
>>329896894
I tried GS but it's hard as shit to use properly.
Already got bored of LS from old games, and CB is getting pretty stale.

I don't know. it's just part of me want to reach the end game, but seeing all those endless wave of new, hard quests make me feels exhausted.
>>
>>329896718
I've been playing since Freedom 2 and I stopped 4U at HR.
Every single fight now consists of running around the monster getting to the high ground because they decided it would be a good idea to slope every single fucking area.
Not to mention the monsters keep moving around now so you have to keep circling them, and since the camera just isn't designed for these areas you have to keep adjusting it while you try to get the high ground.
It's a fucking mess.
I would be looking forward to X but those styles are retarded. MH is pretty much dead.
>>
>>329896718
I encountered a wall at G1 and I couldn't force myself to keep farming mats to get slightly better gear.
>>
Depends on where you quit at HR, if it's just around the time you unlock G, you've already seen most of the monsters and it's okay. If you quit just after LR, yes, you are wasting your money.

Just take a break, I quit right after unlocking G, didn't play for 6 months, and now picked it up again and am having real fun.
>>
>>329896718

If you get 100+ hours out of a game then you certainly haven't wasted money, consider that the current trend in the industry is an eight hour long $60 single player game with a mandatory $40 season pass.

That said, there's plenty of HR-exclusive monsters to fight, so there's a lot of new content to enjoy. Are you just playing on single player or online? It's a lot more fun in a group.
>>
I stopped playing like 5 months ago, now I'm back and I'm having fun grinding G rank Zinogre
>>
>>329896718
>Am I wasting my money if I decide to quit at HR?
What the hell are you talking about? You already got your money's worth with 100+ hours.

I'm in your position too, at some point I just got tired of it, got to 9* ranked quests and 3 or 4* HR. Maybe I'll pick it up again but 100+ hours is pretty good in my book.
>>
>>329897873

What sort of wall? G1 isn't particularly hard, and you can just farm Seregios who is pretty early on for his set, it's pretty great until you get something better.

In case you get two-shot even by G seltases, go and upgrade your damn armor, I went through G1 with HR Velociprey after I stuck some heavy armor spheres into it.
>>
>>329897146
GS 101: Unsheathe swing, Roll, Put away weapon, repeat.

Also if you hold R during unsheathe you can start your charge attack, do this when the monster is down. It will speed up your kills tremendously taking up the GS
>>
File: 46395939_p11_master1200.jpg (96 KB, 522x852) Image search: [Google]
46395939_p11_master1200.jpg
96 KB, 522x852
100 hours is a lot. Something like Xenoblade Chronicles by contrast would last you ~50 hours for the first playthrough.

>>329897146
>I tried GS but it's hard as shit to use properly.

You hit and run. Unsheathe attack, roll, sheathe. A lack of hitting a fuckton is compensated by hitting really hard, and even more so with FastCharge and CritDraw. One thing you might fuck up with is the range and losing opportunities, but I think we all do every now and then.

Personally I think it's hard to switch from because it's incredibly useful and more mobile/safe than it appears. I can practically get any break I want and don't have to get big bursts of downtime for my DPS, and sleep kills to the head are so satisfying. That said I really want to branch into other weapons but still

>>329897762
>Every single fight now consists of running around the monster getting to the high ground because they decided it would be a good idea to slope every single fucking area.

This is the worst thing about 4U easily. At least Frozen Seaway isn't that bad in this regard, but it's still got caves and Khezu

Does anyone know if MHX is any better in this regard?
>>
>>329899024
>This is the worst thing about 4U easily
It got so tedious my stomach would start feeling funny. Like I just want to get to the fucking monster but they decided that all of them should jump around constantly (I'm fucking looking at you Gore Malaga) forcing you to climb ledges and go up slopes; which then forces you to adjust the camera in both the X and the Y axis.
All I ever wanted from this series was FU with more monsters, fixed hit boxes and online. Even the underwater bullshit was better than all this "verticality" nonsense. At least that was contained to like 4 monsters
>>
>>329899024

>Personally I think it's hard to switch from because it's incredibly useful and more mobile/safe than it appears. I can practically get any break I want and don't have to get big bursts of downtime for my DPS, and sleep kills to the head are so satisfying. That said I really want to branch into other weapons but still

These are my exact sentiments, but for hammer instead. It's just so useful in every situation. I can't tear myself away from it. The guys in my playgroup know - they know the head is MY domain, and it feels good. When the monster falls down, the other hunters step away from the head like I'm Moses parting the sea. Clear a path, boys. It's my turn.

How can I go back to pussy ass Dual Blades when I have THAT on tap?
>>
>>329899024
I was playing GS for those same reasons (being an easy and satisfying weapon to use) and have tried recently different weapons to liven up the game.

Now HH is my new favorite thing. Smashing stuff while buffing yourself is so good, and despite the inability to cut tails, getting stuns and hitting that golf swing is so good. Head/jaw breaks are so easy now.

I wanna try the IG, but upgrading the kinsect seems like such a hassle and I don't want to end up wasting nectars if the build ends up bad. And I'm never with enough caravan point to buy the pure + nectars from the Wycoon.
>>
File: mh4u area design.png (2 MB, 1131x1200) Image search: [Google]
mh4u area design.png
2 MB, 1131x1200
>>329899431
It also doesn't help that ledges call for abuse for many weapons. For fuck's sake, SnS users can actually jump after climbing one and can score mounts. Users with slow weapons can attack and then roll off a ledge for another attack, and you can roll into a climbable surface and automatically sheathe.

I still like the game, but really MH4U is like the video game form of the high ground meme. Maybe I should play 3U on the Wii U, but apparently there's some charm table bullshit that's random for everyone.

>>329899709
You can cut tails with the weak hilt attack. It just isn't that practical.

Haven't even touched IG either, but Speed Nectar is OP as far as I know.

>>329899557
It's funny, DB and LS seem to be common go-to weapons for newer players before they find something slower to settle on.
>>
>>329899431

I don't mind verticality all that much, but that insane monster mobility really gets to me sometimes, there are simply not enough openings with some monsters.

I booted up 3U not long ago and was surprised by how much easier, slower and predictable it felt.
>>
>>329900921
>I don't mind verticality all that much, but that insane monster mobility really gets to me sometimes

A few days ago I fought Silver Rathalos for the first time, holy fuck that lunge attack of his. It can get me from the other side of the area extremely quickly.

Also fuck Rajang, dunno about you lot but at least Zinogre is legitimately fun to fight
>>
>>329901234

Yeah, Silver is a bitch, last time I fought him he sniped me in midair with a fireball. Trying running SnS if you're having a lot of problems, it's really good against any Raths. Teostra Spada is an easy one to make and has decent stats.

>fuck Rajang

Agreed.

>Zinogre is legitimately fun to fight

Wait until Stygian Zinogre :^)
>>
Is MH3U any good? I haven't played my WiiU in a while
>>
>>329901961

I liked it more than 4, despite loving some of the additions like charge blade. It has better zones(both layout and graphics-wise), better music, and if you have the WiiU version you also have working online, though I'm not sure how dead it is these days. Find a friend to play it with if possible.
>>
>>329901549
>Wait until Stygian Zinogre :^)

Already fought him and made a fursuit of his stuff in Caravan 9-10, still using it as I'm working up to G-Rank with a friend due to FastCharge and being able to gem in CritDraw, with a few bonuses on top like Evasion +1 and Unscathed which isn't really used that often. Other FC options like the Daora and Lagiacrus armors wouldn't be too hard to get, but don't really offer much else in other shit apart from raw defense. For every other weapon and general use I've got an Azure Rathalos set lying around, earplugs are fucking amazing.

As far as 4U is concerned, all what Stiggy seemingly does differently is abuse the tail slam instead of doing the 2-3 claw swipes, as well as moving when charging and different projectiles/element/blight.

>>329901961
Have you played any other MH games? The tutorial info dump in 3U is really stretched out for too long. I didn't play it for too much long after the first few big monsters, but now I'm thinking of giving it another go after getting into 4U, which definitely fixed the overstretched tutorial part.
>>
Mh4u does a poor job with distinguishing the ranks. Theres some variations youll miss out on, and elder dragons, but if you are bored it aint worth it
>>
>>329896718

Getting 100 hours in any game is an accomplishment for me nowadays. I generally get through the main story and end at about 100 hours in each Monster Hunter before fucking off do to something else. There something nice about knowing there's always something to come back to if I want.
>>
OP here.

Thanks guys, I think I'll take a break from MH for awhile, since I play it exclusively almost every day for a month now.

Hope the online won't be dead when I come back though.
>>
File: mhx problems.png (72 KB, 1829x550) Image search: [Google]
mhx problems.png
72 KB, 1829x550
>>329902930
>Hope the online won't be dead when I come back though.

With MHX coming to the west as Generations later this year, that's a given. Though I'm not sure if I want to play that one, I'll take the opportunity to play more of the older games.

Either way, you could always ask around /v/ or /vg/ for players if this is the case.
>>
What are the chances of Grank appearing in generations? High Rank would just put me to sleep
>>
>>329903295

Well it almost seems like it seems that every third Monster Hunter shakes it up in sort of a new generation.

First two games were very grounded and tough with very deliberate attacks and animation.

3 and 4 both went all in on vertical movement and more fluid combat animations in general.

Generations and whatever is next will likely go more all out with the over the top attacks.
>>
>>329902303

Maybe I had bad memories of him because the last Stiggy I fought was frenized and when he regained frenzy he went complete fucking psycho full charge mode and just wouldn't stop spamming moves at me at the speed of light. If it wasn't already near dead, I'd probably triple cart.
>>
G rank is when the game actually gets good, so yes.
>>
>>329897146

GS is the simplest fucking weapon in the game. You charge, strike, roll, sheathe, repeat. Comboing should be saved for when a monster is down and NEVER block.
>>
>>329904143
Frenzied/Apex monsters in general are a pain in the ass. I hit a wall at the Caravan 9 Frenzied Brachy quest and got triple-carted a few times before finally getting his ass.

If there's one monster I want to learn how to fight better, it's definitely him
>>
>>329904362
>NEVER block.
Blocking with a GS is the most satisfying thing in MH though
>>
>>329906195
The sharpness penalty is not worth it though. GS is mobile enough that you wouldn't need to block, in any case.

Getting blocks with the CB is the real deal. Learning the timings and the hitboxes are satisfying as fuck.
>>
>>329904129
FU was a perfect game barring Plessy's hitbox.
They really need to go back to that style: telegraphed moves.
If you fuck up in FU 90% of the time it's your fault, compared to like 60% in 4U.
I don't know what that faggot Ryozo is doing but he needs to fucking stop and get a grip on reality. MH sales are going to slope eventually if this shit keeps going.
Not really a bad thing. Capcom needs to crash and burn
>>
>>329906639
Rolling in 4U doesn't really work most of the time because of those sloped areas I mentioned above.
Rolling only lets you move left and right, but now there's shit coming at you from above.
Raths aerial fireballs for example have a small AOE going on as well, so unless you gemmed up your evasion you better fucking block.
Also in G rank those are pretty much a OHKO which is utter bullshit for an attack that you can't see.
>>
Understandable op. Not everyone enjoys the grand circle of RNG.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.