[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do they keep making turrets or mounted machine guns pissweak
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
Why do they keep making turrets or mounted machine guns pissweak in multiplayer shooters?
>>
>>329877073
Balance. If the machine gun is holding a chokepoint, damage similar or better than other weapons would effortlessly wreck people, since the machine gunner simply has to pop people rushing in.
>>
manning one is pretty much asking to get your head blown off, why they still even exist in multiplayer is the better question
>>
>>329877414
Isn't that the point?
>>
The mounted guns in Halo are the only powerful examples I can think off.
>>
>>329877524

In real life, yeah. In video games, it's not so fun.

How would you personally balance it?
>>
>>329877601
grenades
>>
Bipod+LMG in BF4 is pretty powerful if you can cover a chokepoint.
>>
>>329877601
By having a non retarded team.
>>
>>329877073
They can be good in Red Orchestra 2 in certain situations. They're mostly used for suppression and holding choke points but you're sniper bait if you aren't careful.
>>
>>329877723
mgs on iwo jima are pretty cool
>>
they are godtier in red orchestra.
>>
File: nightmare fule.jpg (178 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
nightmare fule.jpg
178 KB, 1280x800
>>329877073
>inb4
>>
>>329877414
>mechanism that supports teamwork
>removed
>>
>>329877882
>>329877723

you literally just sitback from the window a bit, wait for a big bunch of enemies to pop out and hop on and blast away.
>>
>>329877601
Battlefield comes to mind in this thread. In Bad Company 2 I would probably just blow the placement up. But if it's BF4 then I'd cry at the invincible wall and remember how Battlefield used to be good.
>>
>>329878064
Yeah Machine Gunner class is fucking beastly when you learn the best spots but the fixed MGs are less effective unless you're playing Apartments.
>>
>>329877882
I can't think of one decent mounted mg in ro2 apart from the woodpeckers on iwo jima or the first mg42 mounted on the top right on apartments

everything else is easy pickings for even riflemen unless the enemy team is dumb
>>
The problem is fixed MGs
If it's weak, nobody will use it
If it's strong, then either it's in a good spot and anyone using it will be targeted and die instantly, or if it's in a bad spot nobody will bother with it.
The solution is to just let players get the strong MGs with bipods on them, and make them unwieldy unless mounted.
>>
>>329878592
I think the game in >>329877926's pic is exactly what you mean
>>
>>329878701
Looks like project realism?
Which wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>329878592
Games should remove fixed MGs and replace them with crew served mobile MGs. One player carries the gun and shoots while the other carries ammo and the tripod and spots/feeds ammo to the gunner. I would love to see this implemented in a game.
>>
>>329877073
Because most guns are pissweak in shooters. Almost all of them.

AI is not good enough to have strong guns in a game.
>>
>>329878805
Oh and in multiplayer stuff, people don't have the attention span for a game with strong guns. Everything needs to be a flashy, short-term experience.
>>
>>329877601
Shooting the stationary guy...?
>>
File: 1436667381016.png (398 KB, 511x377) Image search: [Google]
1436667381016.png
398 KB, 511x377
>game let's you tear a mounted MG off its tripod and fire it from the hip
>>
>>329877073
Clearly you play the wrong games.

Insurgency or RO2 would like a word with you.
>>
The manchildren that play multiplayer fps don't like for any advantages to be strategy based. The only way you're allowed to get an advantage is if it's something that they think is skill based, such as having better aim. This is why you only see turrets with built-in cover in games like RE4 and co-op TPS games. If you could use an MG in a vs setting without being left wide open from all directions people would bitch and moan and stop playing the game altogether.
Similarly this is why games where you can acquire things like health and armor bonuses and more powerful weapons during the game have become less popular. This is also why maps are made so linear, to increase the number of face to face shootouts and reduce the chances you have to sneak up on opponents or flank them.
>>
>>329877705
>I would balance my game by only releasing it to close friends
Enjoy never being responsible for any major development ever.
>>
>>329877601
It's fun, casuals just get rekt, which makes up 80% of you cannon fodder. Meta would then revolve around smoke, explosives or sniper fire to eliminate focused points.

COD2 use to be like this, you wouldn't want to move down a street since you'd get ass raped. It was called being pinned down for a reason by map design.
>>
>>329879331
Wow.

You are close to being the most autistic idiot on /v/ right now.

Congratulations.
>>
>>329879331
Yeah this is it, map flow has changed to accommodate the worst of players. They'll complain but it doesn't stop them from getting ravaged in certain kill points they're too dumb to figure out.
>>
>>329878105
>Battlefield used to be good
>praises the series destroying BC

sure is young in here
>>
>>329879496
It hardly is, entrenched positions are a thing in warfare, but muh OP weapon would be bitched to kingdom come if companies went looking for feedback.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.