[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I didn't play Minecraft for like four years, since probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: minecraft.jpg (32 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
minecraft.jpg
32 KB, 288x288
So I didn't play Minecraft for like four years, since probably v1.2 or something. I remember it being buggy, but past the point to where that was charming like when just Notch was making it. They had a whole team by that point, and Mojang had made over a million dollars on the game to invest into improving it or making a sequel, but it still felt like it was made by a bunch of high school students. It lost its magic.

So today I loaded up 1.9, since people keep saying it's the "best update ever". Are you fucking kidding? What changed? The game is the same as it ever was. Literally nothing is better. I play for twenty minutes, got killed by an enemy with no AI other than "COME TOWARD PLAYER", lost all my shit, returned to spawn, and have no fucking idea where I died at.

Seriously, Mojang? There's still no death waypoint? There's still no minimap? There's still no AI improvement? There's still no graphical improvements? I think it even runs WORSE than it used to. What the fuck did Mojang do with the millions of dollars they made? What are their developers even doing? What a fucking joke.

No wonder Notch left. I wouldn't be able to stand to be in such a worthless, lazy and unimaginative environment either.
>>
i think everybody else got used to the idea that minecraft was never going to live up to its potential, like, years ago

i really cannot be bothered to get mad about minecraft anymore
>>
>>329831018
Yeah, the time period when Notch was actively making Minecraft was magical. I think it'll go down in gaming history. That motherfucker was releasing big content updates almost *every week*. It takes Mojang a year to add a similar amount of content. It's because they hired some of the stupidest shits out of the modding community.

If you want to see a community full of degenerates and money-greedy asshats, just look at Minecraft's modding community.
>>
>the game is still hard, i don't like it
>>
>>329831658
There's a difference between "hard" and "bad".
>>
File: 1418433095065.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1418433095065.jpg
132 KB, 1280x720
Not OP but I haven't played Minecraft in quite some time either. I'd like to use this mod if I do decide to play. Can anyone tell me if it will work with the new update?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1284614-grimoire-of-gaia-3-1-2-7-updated-10-03-2015-mobs
>>
>>329831018
>There's still no death waypoint?
I thought beds did that.

>There's still no minimap?
You craft maps. What did you think this is, COD? Exploration is supposed to be done manually. There's external programs for rendering places you've been though.

> There's still no AI improvement?
Pretty sure there was, but I'm not expecting working ecosystems out of them.

>There's still no graphical improvements?
They made it pretty fucking clear they think programmer graphics are acceptable. Millions of people know it for this current look.
>>
>>329833369
Beds aren't a waypoint, there's just a spawn point.

Maps aren't a minimap, they're an awkward device to make and use with very little purpose to even skilled players.

The AI improvements are essentially skeletons will walk in a circle now. But that's not an improvement because they use to do that in alpha and Mojang just forgot.

The graphics are the way they are because they don't know how to do it any better. They can keep the look but improve all the aliasing, z-fighting, and speckles that the game has always been plagued with.
>>
File: 1341759870317.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1341759870317.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>no AI other than "COME TOWARD PLAYER"
>LITERALLY dying to the same AI that you admit is simple and stupid

kek
>>
>>329833675
You don't get it. The AI is still retarded. But Mojang made it so that you can't click spam anymore. The faster you click, the less damage you do. And some enemies move really fast, like Endermen, so you're fucked.
>>
>>329833661
>Beds aren't a waypoint, there's just a spawn point.
What do you mean by "death waypoint" if you don't mean "new spawnpoint?"
>>
>>329833818
Waypoint shows you where you died, minimap mods gave this and it's really useful
>>
>>329833906
Oh, I get it. Like a marker. Yeah, that would be pretty useful.
>>
>>329833661
>they're an awkward device to make and use

it's like 3 or 4 things: paper, redstone and iron. To use it you equip it and look at it with your big dumb eyes. There's literally nothing awkward about it.

Having a mini-map would be dumb and break whatever little immersion there is, this isn't a Call of Duty game.
>>
>>329833906
>>329833992
>game based on exploration and developing your sense of orientation

>COMPUTER: SHOW ME ON THE GPS WHERE I DIED
>>
There's a lot to complain about with minecraft but difficulty isn't it. You just suck.
>>
>>329833369
>They made it pretty fucking clear they think programmer graphics are acceptable. Millions of people know it for this current look.
I think that's the real problem with Minecraft. It got famous before it was done, then notch took a vacation, and now they're afraid to change anything because nobody knows what it should be.
>>
>>329834229
MUH CALL OF DOOTY HEUEHEUUE
>>
>>329831260

>tfw you'll never play your $5 indev copy and be excited for secret update Friday every week again
>>
Remember when Minecraft was going to become open source once it stopped selling?
>>
>>329834229
There is nothing wrong with this, they should let you craft an advanced minimap that maps out the territory you've been too more efficiently. Current maps blow dick. Let you mark waypoints of cool caves areas you discovered etc.
>>
>>329834554
i guess we're just waiting for it to stop selling
>>
>>329833661

>with very little purpose to even skilled players.

Because skille dplayers make note of which direction away from spawn the headed.
>>
>>329834554
I recall Notch saying something like that.

We don't really need open source anyways. Mods can already do basically everything imaginable.
>>
>>329834552

>tfw you'll never dig deep, hit am underground lake that floods the mine and extinguishes every single torch and then drown alone in the cold blackness again
>>
>>329833786
Why would you ever click spam? Just learn the attack ranges and post-hit i-frames.
>>
>>329831018
I recently played Creativerse, and I have hope in the future of the game.

I will not play it until several updates so in like maybe 1 year, but the playthrough I made with a friend of the current state is really great.

Any person who felt sad about the missed potencial of Minecraft should try Creativerse.

I also recommend Portal Knights for a more dungeon oriented thing, with some Zelda 3D combats (retarded RPG aspect tho).
>>
>>329834683
notch said a lot of shit
>>
>>329831018
Minecraft is absolute shit, only mods can patch it up, remember when the modAPI was promised with 1.3? Mojews don't

Nobody can blame Notch for leaving a sinking, explosive filled ship, fuck Mojang
>>
>>329834872
His promises just couldn't compete with his vacations.
>>
File: Sam grin.png (342 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Sam grin.png
342 KB, 640x360
>Its another /v/ is forever butthurt because minecraft is not exactly as they want thread
>>
>>329834751
Here's the thing about click spamming. Against monsters, it's fine to just hit and wait for the invincibility frames to wear off.

In PvP, especially when it comes to factions and survival games, you don't have that time because of server lag and the fact that yu're in the middle of combat which can end really quickly. Thus, click spamming is done to take advantage of the server lag. This is one of several reasons why Minecraft PvP is not friendly towards people with toasters.
>>
>>329834132
It's still awkward to use.

It's either showing very little or it's super small. It also shows no caves and similar, just the surface.
Seriously, there is no reason there couldn't be a worldmap.
For example, you craft a map like you craft one now. But instead of having to lug around several maps you can zoom and scroll in the one map you have. You can go fullscreen and have a proper worldmap.
Sure, it's not 100% realistic, but it's so much easier to use.
>>
>>329834609
>they should let you craft an advanced minimap

Out of what? google glasses? What's the crafting recipe for that?
>>
>>329835083
>TFW just want an anarchy server where it's a free for all blood bath, but you're free to group up and do shit and risk a backstab with like 2 or 3 major mods for the sake of making Minecraft longer than 2 hours.
But then I remember how burnt out I get on Minecaft and never look for one cause so many other vidya.
>>
>>329835543
I barely play other vidya and play autismblocks a lot, along with my mmos.
>>
>>329835680
Everyone's different, glad to know you're enjoying it, Anon.
With or without mods?
>>
>>329835408
>implying that paper maps in the real world show caves and have zoom-in features

It's a map, not a smartphone. Millenials don't even know what paper maps are.

>>329834609
>Let you mark waypoints

That would actually be reasonable and realistic within the game's world. You should be able to just place an X on the map that shows you where custom POI are
>>
>>329835493
You think bread consists out of three wheat and nothing else?
>>
>>329835408
>game is meant to be survival/exploration based
>wanting maps like this

The game's trash but you're a moron if you truly believe it needs navigational tools.
>>
>>329835780
I enjoy both kinds.
I wish they updated the mods faster to 1.9 though.
Tekkit main is RIP, isn't it?
>>
>>329834609
>TFW got lost on an Odyssey once in an archipelago style region and it took like a week of real time on and off to find my home again
Those were the days back in Beta.
>Back before I knew you could make a compass
>>
>>329835807
>It's a map, not a smartphone. Millenials don't even know what paper maps are.
There are loads of arbitrations for the sake of gameplay in Minecraft anyway. Having a map that uses PC features is just basic game design.
>>
>>329835930
Yeah, I think so.
Also, inb4 Thaumcraft guy wait and then releases TC 6 as a 1.9 exclusive.
>>
Are there any good Skywars servers? Tired of going into servers where 10-year-old little faggots go into free-for-all Skywars maps and form teams with the one person with a girly avatar/name.
>>
>>329835885
Even with a map you still have to explore the world for it to show up on your map.
There is just no reason to have such shit maps as in Minecraft. They literally serve no function a compass doesn't already.

Face it, maps in their current state are a mess.
>>
>>329835930
>I wish they updated the mods faster to 1.9 though.
Thank Mojang for changing most of the background code for no benefit for the average user, for the sake of "removed Notchcode, and replaced it with a slower alternative we understand :DDDDDDD"
>>
>>329835987
Map generation used to be so good, that was half the fun in Minecraft.
>>
>>329836214
The logic is that your character is drawing the map as you explore the land, it makes more sense in multiplayer.

I still think your views are stupid, you probably only got into the game late beta or something as I can't see how this would be a complaint otherwise. I mean christ pick on something legitimate like the thousands of bugs, shitty combat, retarded NPC, etc..
>>
>>329836017
Its still a basic tools-and-raw-resources exploration/survival game. Having industrial technology for the sake of mild convenience is just silly.
>>
>>329836214
>Even with a map you still have to explore the world for it to show up on your map.

Your character doesn't have GPS access, that's how maps were made before Google Earth, kid.
>>
>>329834229
>game based on an infinite world
>only way to preserve your location is a bed that can only be slept in at night
>dying loses all your stuff
>no way to find your way to where you died

Explain to me how these concepts work well together.
>>
>>329834920
The mod API was promised back in alpha and beta, but they pushed the date forward half a dozen times until they finally deleted the API project and said there wasn't going to be one.

The only API they're going to have now is a plugin API, which will only be for server mods. They only care about making servers good because groups like Hypixel are the only way that vanilla is fun.
>>
>>329837675
It's a game where exploration is left on the player, the game is not supposed to hold your hand in that aspect - it's up to you to keep track of where you are. Seriously, that was the point from the start, are you brand new to the game or something?

Christ too kany idiots in this thread picking on the completely wrong things when there's so many actual issues with this game

>>329837824
>They only care about making servers good
The EULA goes against servers in many ways, anything that isn't already a giant business network (like hypixel) is doomed.
>>
>>329837675
I've never had a problem finding my way back to the place I died at.
>>
>>329837675

Leave markers when exploring, dummy. It's like the second thing you should learn to do in Minecraft after "don't dig straight down".

While we're at it, when exploring caves always leave your torches on the right-hand side of walls (or left, up to you) that way you can recognize your way out when torches are on the opposite side so you don't run around in circles and starve to death in a hole.
>>
>tfw I don't give a dead horse's last shit about survival anymore and only play creative
>tfw I'm not bothered by ass-backwards changes and wasted potential
>>
>>329838819
Don't forget, "Leave markers, like dirt blocks with torches on them at the entrance to dead end paths."
>>
>>329839332
I'd just put a torch in the middle of the ground (as opposed to having them on the right wall)
>>
>>329839420
Fair enough. Dirt blocks are my personal use since when a torch is on a wall, I shouldn't want to go THROUGH the wall, so same rule applies for paths I don't want to go down.
>>
>>329839541
>>329839332
I'll sometimes fill up a dead end with cobblestone since it's obviously man-made. Everynow and then I come accross a patch of dirt in caves and I'm like "hhmmm, there could be diamonds right behind that" and one shovel later I see it's an area I already milked dry.
>>
>>329831018
>got killed by an enemy with no AI other than "COME TOWARD PLAYER"
You act as if the AI was bad despite the fact it killed you. Maybe you're bad.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.