[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name everything wrong with this game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
Name everything wrong with this game.
>>
>>329805678
The developers already did.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/papermario/0/2
>>
>>329805678
There is literally no point to battles, at all.
>>
>>329805678
Shit story
Shit "mechanics" (AKA Gimmicks they try to call mechanics)
Subpar visuals
Subpar sound
Put the final fucking nail in the coffin of Paper Mario's quality
>>
>>329805678

Why have an RPG format of battling if there is no RPG aspect to the game.
>>
>>329805678
The game.
Awful characters, stickers, toads, useless combat, stickers, toads, bosses with vague weaknesses and are difficult to beat without them, stickers, toads, the battle system, stickers, toads, no leveling up, stickers, toads, no partners, stickers, toads, bland map, stickers, toads, boring environment, stickers, toads, lack of story, stickers, toads killed off Paper Mario series for good, and did I mention stickers and toads?
>>
>>329807259
Whoops, forgot to put a comma between toads and killed.
>>
>>329805678
The gameplay loop makes this game pointless.
>>
>>329806096
>Well, as mentioned before, the mechanics present new challenges and the gameworld represents a new start. We worked hard so that this game would become the new standard for future Paper Mario games, so please play it to the fullest!
>>
>>329805678
The way I see it, they took Super Paper Mario as the reason why people didn't want more companions and different kind of gameplay. they probably asked the wrong questions in focus groups and came to different conclusions. But it stems from Super Paper Mario, not the previous ones.
>>
File: 1457189549306.jpg (23 KB, 509x369) Image search: [Google]
1457189549306.jpg
23 KB, 509x369
>>329807656
>new standard
>>
>>329805678
Sorry, but I find the game incentivizing you to avoid battles to be poor game design. The fact Sticker Star sold so well still confuses me.
>>
File: 1453678017505.gif (3 MB, 300x219) Image search: [Google]
1453678017505.gif
3 MB, 300x219
>tfw sticker star is so shit my PAL copy won't even run through the region free launcher on my XL
>>
File: RAGE.webm (977 KB, 800x432) Image search: [Google]
RAGE.webm
977 KB, 800x432
No fucking story and no reason to battle enemies. It's a shell of a game.
>>
The sticker combat mechanic idea actually sounds interesting, but it was executed poorly, and in a wrong way.

Some things to fix it:
>stickers now are not anymore one-use
>use them at anytime you want
>basic hammer and jump attack are obtainable in the beginning
>as you progress the game, you find stickers more powerful than the ones you have
>once found, the new stickers replace the old ones
>leveling up returns
>as you level up, your heart increases, and you find new abilities for jump (jump from one to other, jump infinitely until you miss) and hammer (throw the hammer, hammer the ground to create a quake)
>let super stickers be only usable outside of combat

Everything else can continue the same way. I'm sure this will make the game much better. Anymore else to add?
>>
everything
>>
>>329805678
Not the music.
>>
>>329808176

People didn't do research on the game at all. Even here you had people expecting their to be partners and everything right up to release despite everything to the contrary.
>>
>never play any paper mario games because they look like shit, have babby mechanics and retarded mushroom kingdom stories
>/v/ bitches about newer paper mario games because they look like shit, have babby mechanics and retarded mushroom kingdom stories
I don't get it.
>>
>>329808176
>ehh, it's not like the older paper Mario's but it can't be that bad
>oh God I wasted £35
I fell for the "a bad Mario game is still a decent game" meme
>>
>Name everything wrong with this game.

everything
>>
>>329811304
At least you didn't waste 40 on it.
>>
If they would just use Super Paper Marios battle format it wouldnt be a problem, but instead its an awful mish mash of both Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario. There is no point to an rpg format battle without fucking experience points
>>
>>329810371
You could really make every jump/hammer or special attacks a sticker you would have to find similar to badges, you could just have badges and stickers side by side and just expand on them
hell you could even throw in the paint gimmick to power them up
>>
>>329810371
So where do the stickers come in? Because that sounds like badges without an BP or PP
>>
>>329805678
everything
>>
>>329805791
I stopped reading at one the guys worked on super Mario rpg

How can you mess up a game so hard on what the original and thousand year door paper Marios were based on?
>>
>>329807259
PLAY BALL!
>>
>>329808990
I CAN SEE THE CURSOR
AAAH WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: Sticker Star Issues.jpg (747 KB, 1347x918) Image search: [Google]
Sticker Star Issues.jpg
747 KB, 1347x918
>>329805678
>>
>>329812071
Or you could treat Stickers like badges. It's not that fucking hard.
>>
The bosses were the final nail for me since they actively punished you with tedium if you didn't cheese them with their non-intuitive thing weaknesses.

Imagine if in megaman every weapon you had but 1 did half damage to the bosses.
>>
>>329812638
I recorded the webm myself, and I'm a poor artisan. Sorry.
>>
>>329812678
Most of them were nitpicks except the generic toads and the no plot twist. The original paper mario didn't even have a plot twist.
>>
>>329811223
The older games (paper mario & TTYD) could actually get pretty complex and there were a lot of different ways to "build" mario and his partners to get really neat results with badges and the like. Further, the story was pretty great and the character writing was hilarious.

All of it's been scrapped as of Sticker Star.
>>
>>329810371
I'd simply have the stickers act like badges, except instead of having BP, have a certain amount of space for your stickers to fit into with more powerful sticker attacks requiring more space and having more obtuse shapes. Think the powers in kid icarus. Of course your sticker space could be leveled up like a statoh wait there's no leveling
>>
File: 1453508604-every-paper-partner.jpg (2 MB, 3316x1958) Image search: [Google]
1453508604-every-paper-partner.jpg
2 MB, 3316x1958
>>329805678
>The battle system
>The game felt empty, only generic toads, generic enemies, no real partner like Goombella or Parakarry
>This game has no soul, no good/witty writing
>This game is cancer compared to PM64, TTYD, and SPM.

I am actually legitimately angry for the first time at a game company. hohoholy kek.
>>
>>329805678
Story doesn't exist. It's just "Bowser takes Peach again hurr durr Mario save her".

The gameplay is garbage. You as Mario don't have your own innate moves, you can't even jump properly without a sticker and the beloved Hammer is gone. Not to mention all the Stickers were time A correctly in this insanely difficult to miss timing to win!

The "Overworld" is another godddamn level select. There is no freedom just the same old (ancient really) shitty level select like in 2D Mario's. It wasn't bad enough in Galaxy 2 they are now doing it in everything. Because fuck Peach's Castle and the Observatory everybody loved right?

Your character doesn't grow so you don't get invested into doing anything at all. You have no reason to fight or not just progress with the story.
No equipment or badges to get, no items so you can get special moves that aren't retarded 1 use stickers. No partners to find level up orbs for or some shit.

Which brings me to there being no partners. You are alone, no party, no squad, no companionship just the same fat mute plumber.

The game has the paper art style like it's predecessors but unlike the games before it fails to anything interesting or funny with it.

The music was forgettable as fuck.

Fuck Sticker Star, fuck Sticker Star 2 may everyone who worked on these game repent for their sins in hell.
>>
>>329805678
It's not horrendous like everyone says it is but the thing with it is that its just like any other typical Mario game since it was stripped of things that made Paper Mario. It should have been something else entirely.
>>
>>329812071
You mean like equipping stickers and badges instead using them?

>>329812130
Every attack, including jump and hammer (upgraded boots and hammers also, and not one-use), and every item, healing or attacking, is a sticker. The abilities I meant is the way you learn them through leveling up, so to give incentive to battle, and also, avoid grinding.
>>
>>329813304
>The music was forgettable as fuck.
Wrong.
>>
>>329813483
Have some standards. Compared to everything before it music-wise this game is undeniably bland.
It's soundtrack is Sticker Stars strongest suit but it wasn't anything above subpar.
>>
>>329813846
SS's music was god tier like the rest of the series.
>>
For some reason I vividly remember every Bowser Jr. encounter in this game. Maybe because he's the only villain that talked on seperate occasions.
>>
>>329814018
>Gooper Blooper's music was god tier like the rest of the series.
ftfy literally Nothing else in game was worth mentioning.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.