[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are games like rune factory 3 harshly critiqued by rievewers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 500x448
Why are games like rune factory 3 harshly critiqued by rievewers while games like stardew valley are praised even though they both do the same thing? Is it because one is anime-like or because it's made in Japan? It seems like indie devs who make the same content as other games are praised for there work.
>>
I don't think it's a bias against Japan, but a bias because "It's indie!", "It's the hip new thing!", that sort of thing.
>>
Because critiquing japanese games doesn't make you look bad.
>>
>one guy makes it
>10/10 game
>a game company makes it
>what a shit game, <insert SJW complaints>
>>
Whole Western media is fucking racist towards Asia.
They love blacks and Islam
>>
File: gimme da memes.png (43 KB, 613x337) Image search: [Google]
gimme da memes.png
43 KB, 613x337
Dunno, Rune Factory never clicked for me.

I loved the old Harvest Moons though, and Stardew Valley is more akin to Harvest Moon than Rune Factory in my opinion. HM SNES/64/BTN/FOMT are all fairly well regarded.

That said, there's also the fact that Stardew was made entirely by one person. Graphics, music, gameplay, everything. To say nothing of his constant updates and the fact that he didn't crowdfund or early access.

The game is inherently addictive by design, but I think the fact that ConcernedApe is a breath of fresh air in regards to indie devs plays a part as well.

Hopefully indie devs take notice and crowdfunded, early access bullshit goes by the wayside.
>>
>>329798115
I think it's both of those things.
>>
>>329798562
I thought chucklefish did the art?
>>
>>329798562
I'm always grateful for a game devoid of memes but this guy sounds like a douche
>>
Rune Factory has problematic undertones of heteronormativity and body shaming.
Don't give money to hateful bigots. We should want the game industry to progress.
>>
Vidya reviewers get taken to task constantly for giving high marks to bad games that grease their palms with money or gifts beforehand (or even higher marks to OK games). Most Japanese games don't play by their rules so reviewers are tougher on them because it's "safe" and they don't get as much push back.
>>
>>329798562
dude. i feel exactly the same way.

Harvest moon was a great series, but they struggled so much with trying to keep it fresh or turn it into shovelware.Its great that 1 person is showing everyone how the formula is still good if we just backtrack and stick with what was fun.
>>
>>329798707

Chucklefuck did literally nothing, other than some beta testing. And they published it, which means absolutely nothing.

The story is this: ConcernedApe started SV and wasn't sure he could even get greenlit. Along comes Chucklefuck, who, at the time, were developing this extremely hyped early access game called Starbound.

ConcernedApe comes to an agreement with them, allowing a portion of the game's profits to go to them in exchange for instant greenlighting, beta testing, and publicity (and hosting the wiki).

They got the better end of the deal... and due to misinformation, they might have actually hurt ConcernedApe more than helped him (as their company name is pretty much vitriol in the indie gaming scene).

>>329798804

He's not, he was just stating a fact.

He's a pretty straightforward dude and probably one of the only good indie developers out there.
>>
Japanese game -2 points
Indie Game +2 points
>>
>>329797970
Is this stardew thing easy?
That's probably why.
Easy games are better than hard game sin pretty much every way.
One day hard games will just be their own niche for mad people to enjoy and everything else will actually be fun.
>>
>>329797970
RAVEN IS BEST GRIL
QUARTER SHEEP QUARTER BIRD HALF HUMAN CHILDREN A BEST
>>
>>329797970
Who knows. Rune Factory 4 was criminally underrated. Game has systems for days and every review ever puts that as a footnote.
>>
So is there any reason to play stardew valley over emulating a Harvest Moon game?
>>
>>329799745
nice b8
>>
>>329800094
Only if you have already played HM and want something new.
>>
>>329800094

Co-op.

Constant updates by developer.

Doing everything the old Harvest Moon games do, only better and expanded upon.
>>
>Japanese game -5
>anime girls -5

fucking garbage 0/10

>western game +5
>indie game +5
>cartoon girls +5

masterpiece 15/10
>>
>>329800094
You could check it out to see if it's your thing and refund it if you don't like it. Or pirate it.

Personally, I don't think so. Stardew Valley feels slow and the writing is pretty terrible and stilted. Not that Natsume has ever done a particularly good job (except with RF3), but it always had characters, and Stardew Valley has these boring generic NPCs.
>>
>>329800461
don't forget tumblr friendly archetypes and bodytypes
>>
>>329797970
Most japanese devs make games for the japanese audience first, so it's not like they actually care about what angry western cucks think of their games.
>>
>>329800708

>dat purple haired, graveyard-chillin, mineral eating tumblrina
>>
>>329798885
Somebody out there unironically thinks like this
>>
>>329797970
>tfw couldn't romance Gaius
>>
>>329801243
No NTRing Evelyn. Stop ruining pure love.

Venti on the other hand has no excuse. Neverland just fucked up.
>>
>>329799512
Didn't Chucklefuck also sorta this with Risk of Rain as well, but on a lesser scale?
>>
I just played 80 hours of Stardew Valley and I have a Rune Factory for the 3ds (I think 4?)

Should I even bother playing it?
>>
why gaming 'journalists' don't like games like rune factory
>anime girls
>corporate devs in faraway land

why they like stardew
>tumblr-approved diverse cast of cartoon characters
>progressive (homo relationships possible, interracial couple present in game)
>indie dev (its the hip and trendy thing!)
>piss easy game = scrub reviewers can't fail or fuck
>>
>>329801516
Venti is too big to fit in bed and can't even cook you breakfast.

>tfw I'd still marry her anyway
>>
>>329801668

Pretty much. The RoR dev even said he totally regretted the decision. From the sounds of it Chucklefish basically offers you no support past slapping their name on your shit, and their name isn't even worth much.
>>
>>329801861
She has her miniature form and I'd be happy cooking her pancakes.

Besides, none of that stuff ever stopped people from marrying the Harvest Goddess if FoMT.

By the way, can we just gush about how good Rune Factory is? I love the tame monster drop system. It worked with all-existing mechanics, it's simple, and it's completely intuitive.
>>
>>329797970
>they both do the same thing?
You degenerate scum RF is far superior.
Also RFF >>>>>>>> RF 1 > RF 3 > RF 4 > RF 2
>>
File: 1457003337372.jpg (13 KB, 300x278) Image search: [Google]
1457003337372.jpg
13 KB, 300x278
>>329802345
>RFF
lol
>>
>>329797970
Literally yes. Its basically a crusade against loli
>>
>>329797970
By the cover art, I can already tell this game is pedo bait.

Instant 0/10.
>>
RF5 WHEN?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.