[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
And /v/ told me Dark Moon is shit. >more explorative and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
And /v/ told me Dark Moon is shit.

>more explorative and collectathon than GC
>though the bosses were copy-pasted, each of them still offered a different moveset and attacks
>main theme is differently composed for each mansion, unlike GC
>top-notch animations
>E. Gadd
>Toads are now more involved in the game than just being "save-points"
>upgrades that makes sucking last faster
>though replaced the ghosts from GC, the new ghosts's design looks kind of better than the previous ghosts
>ghosts are only bad if they don't have pupils, just like how the old ghosts from GC didn't have pupils too
>mansions are now separated and each one of them are completely different
>Dark Moon shows more about Luigi's personality than GC
>Dual Screen was chose as DS, antecessor of 3DS, just like GameBoy Horror was chose as GameBoy, antecessor of GBA
>THEY EVEN REMEMBERED THAT YOU CAN MAKE LUIGI CALL JUST LIKE GC
>IT'S "HELLO" FOR THE FIRST TIME, BUT AFTER YOU LOOK FOR MARIO HE NOW CALLS FOR MARIO INSTEAD
>Dark-Light Device is neat
>Polterpup
>ending was heartwhelming
>multiplayer mode
>holy fuck the multiplayer mode i fucking had a blast

And some others things I forgot. The 2 only complaints I have for this game, is the lack of terror atmosphere (to be fair, final LM from GC is much less scary than prototype LM, because it was too scary, so LM didn't really had intentions to be a horror game), and no family portraits. Other than that, solid 9/10. I'm even seriously considering if DM is better than the original LM.

Can we have a "/v/ told was shit but it's actually good" thread? Also, what do you want for Luigi's Mansion 3?
>>
New ghost designs are shit.
No family portraits/descriptions to keep you interested.
Game looks and runs worse than Gamecube, with framerate fluctuating all the goddamn time
New gameplay additions add almost nothing and are mostly busywork

Y'know why Luigi's Mansion is good? Because it had simple gameplay, a well-designed mansion, and you could beat it in two hours if you knew what you were doing.

Dark Moon has shitloads of cutscenes and other garbage to pad shit out and it gets boring after a few hours.
>>
>>329795209
The problem is that being mission based with multiple mansions having identical missions makes the game boring as fuck halfway through.
>>
>>329795209
Aww that's so cute, you like the new goofy animations! Do you watch lots of Disney? Are you a fan of Casper as well?
>>
I liked both, but I still love that clavichord beat that plays at the end of each chapter in the original.
>>
>>329795209
While the idea of multiple mansion was nice in terms of having a variety of locations, I much preferred the "metroid"-esque progression of the first game in a single mansion.

Also the first game had more personality with the different unique ghosts and areas in the mansion. Yeah it had it's share of the generic ghost enemies, but it wasn't as numerous as the second game as there were ONLY generic ghost enemies and no unique ghosts, really.

The first game was explore > find upgrade > battle ghost boss/capture unique ghosts > access next area with key or new upgrade

The second game is really just more about exploring every nook and cranny as autistically as possible in the mansions, and less about actually progressing through the area and capturing the ghosts. Also it's a bit more hand holdy. It results in a more comfy experience but ultimately more boring and not as good as the first game.
>>
>>329795209
My main problem with Dark Moon is that the atmosphere from the first game was butchered. Even though it was a Mario game and nothing legitimately scary every happened, LM1 still had a creepy atmosphere. Dark Moon feels cartoonish throughout.

Other than that, I quite liked Dark Moon.
>>
I'll admit, the multiple mansions idea was a neat one
I wish they'd implemented that in the original
Everything else was hit and miss though, especially the mission based gameplay, I want interconnecting levels, not stupid level 1-1 shit
Also, the lack of portrait ghosts upset me
And the fact that the only side missions are junk like "catch all the boos" is upsetting, the original had a ton of rooms that you could unlock but weren't forced, it was much more fun
Lastly, I don't know if it was just me or what, but the interaction between Gadd and Luigi just felt so stale, it's like they were meeting for the first damn time
>>
I liked that the toads could be your sidekicks for sections of the levels and help you with puzzles.

I thought their interactions were pretty charming.
>>
File: whatIwatchedtemplate.png (519 KB, 1008x383) Image search: [Google]
whatIwatchedtemplate.png
519 KB, 1008x383
Bump.
>>
>>329797085
Also, ignore the watched part.
>>
It's a decent game. Although if they made a WiiU/NX sequel, I'd want them to go back to the original interconnecting level design.
>>
Problem is that its on the fucking 3DS

Its like Peace Walker where its a good game encrusted in a shit handheld
>>
File: the ride never ends.jpg (231 KB, 863x752) Image search: [Google]
the ride never ends.jpg
231 KB, 863x752
I forget about this game a lot. It took me a really, really long time to beat because I just could't get into it much and it was a total grind.

But yeah, you right, even if I didn't care for all the collecting that there was I don't mind that it was there for the people that wanted to explore. I might pop that game back in one of these days and go through a mansion for the fuck of it.
>>
I enjoyed the game but the bosses were absolute dogshit.
>>
This is the first time I've actually seen /v/ hate on this game. I thought it was considered one of the best games on the 3DS.

Still love it, it was fun
>>
>>329797489
at least PW can be emulated and upscaled on PPSSPP
>>
>>329795426
>New ghost designs are shit.
Nope. The ghosts design is kind of better because each of them had different personality. Now that I remembered, I do like the old ghosts too, but some of them had the same-face syndrome, and same way to attack.

>No family portraits/descriptions to keep you interested.
Actually, Dark Moon kinda has ghost descriptions too. It's just not the family, but even so, it does keep you interested.

>Game looks and runs worse than Gamecube, with framerate fluctuating all the goddamn time
I guess maybe DM looks kinda worse, but gotta admit that they made an impressive job at making each room from one mansion completely different from other, unlike how in original LM, each room was kinda of generic.

Maybe the framerate also runs worse, but if you get used to it, you would not really bother with it at all. Also, the majority part of the game had fps fine.

>New gameplay additions add almost nothing and are mostly busywork
So they are useful? I'm glad they cared for that part, because in LM, while the Poltergust 3000 had the abilities to expel water, fire and ice, they were mostly worthless, and sucking ghosts was a better weapon than expel elements.

>Y'know why Luigi's Mansion is good? Because it had simple gameplay
Like in Dark Moon?

>a well-designed mansion
Almost all five of mansions were well-designed too. Each one of them had their own unique ambient and background.

>and you could beat it in two hours if you knew what you were doing.
What's the problem of a game being longer to complete?
Also, LM wasn't short, too.

Dark Moon has shitloads of cutscenes and other garbage to pad shit out and it gets boring after a few hours.
I don't remember DM having that much of cutscenes. Also, large part of animation was very much well made, so it was worth it.
>>
>>329797956
It's not so much hated, as it is just disappointing
I mean compared to the original it seems like a bust, but compared to the 3DS' library, yes it is one of the best 3DS games
>>
>forgot about this game
>look up price
>42.75 on amazon

Dunno why I even bothered.
>>
Well it is on a handheld.
Stage and mission based gameplay makes it real easy to pick up and put down in short sessions.
That mission where the house is full of ghosts and you have to get all 50+ of them before reality collapses.
>>
>>329795426
You're giving the family portraits way too much credit. I guarantee that the level designs in Dark Moon had WAY more love and effort that went into crafting it than the ghost portraits which were probably just more of an afterthought.

The new gameplay additions are actually really clever and well designed. The Polterpup hunting segments add a whole new level to the exploration where you actually feel like a real ghost hunter... The level designs have so much variety and creativity crafted into them, you're almost always doing something different for each mission even when you explore the same areas...

And you're absolutely wrong for saying that being shorter/simpler is one of LM1's strong points. That game was a disappointment when it first came out because of how short it was, and no amount of nostalgia will change that. LM2 did everything right where LM1 failed.
>>
>that qt pianist ghost girl from the first game

I want her to give me a ghost blowjob. Woo woo woo.
>>
>>329795209
Pretty sure the enteral consensus on dark moon was very positive, I really enjoyed it myself l. Wish more games were as fun as that one
>>
Does the ending seem like the most full lines of dialogue we've heard from the Mario brothers in a game ever?
>>
>>329797489
>PW
>a good game
I played that shot start to finish and it was easily one of the worst MGS games ever made, terrible bosses, missions boil down to putting on a sneaking suit and choking out everyone on the map unless you're fighting a tank that takes twenty minutes of running around, firing rockets and then requesting air drops for ammo and without going too much into detail please know that the story was garbage (even for a MGS game)
>>
>Luigi's Mansion 1
>Luigi saves Mario
>"thanks for-a saving me bro, now I'm going on a tropical vacation with my bitch"
>"gee mario that-a sounds like fun, can-a I come?"
>"lol no"

Mario being framed for vandalism was just karma giving him a swift kick in the ass.
>>
>>329795209
Controls are shit. I hate gyro controls. I wish it worked that it used the nub on the new 3DS.
>>
>>329799642
>>"thanks for-a saving me bro, now I'm going on a tropical vacation with my bitch"
>>"gee mario that-a sounds like fun, can-a I come?"
>>"lol no"
that's not what happened you cuck
>>
>>329800010
So what actually happened, oh wise and all knowing video game guru?
>>
>>329800010
Strange how Luigi's Mansion seemed like this unrelated sidestory, but then the shadow of Gadd is all over the events of Sunshine.
>>
>>329800175
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjS9UtT4Pw
>>
>>329800321
that fucking laugh in the end. this was truely luigi's game
>>
>>329800010
Yeah I'm sure Luigi was just too busy to come right?
>cuck
Please make a trip so I can block you
>>
File: dfsjpg.jpg (226 KB, 500x715) Image search: [Google]
dfsjpg.jpg
226 KB, 500x715
>>
>>329800321
Mario probably appreciates that he can be dark lit out of his painting the second time around instead of run through the machine.
>>
>>329801019
he did just get a new mansion, cuck
>>
File: 6824.png (111 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
6824.png
111 KB, 750x650
>big lips and a tooth gap
>>
>>329796151
I think the problem with multiple mansions was clear from the start: that they'd end up seeming more like "stages" to clear than an actual mansion to explore. The things that made the first Luigi's Mansion great just couldn't really work as well if you just kept moving from one mansion to the next.
>>
>mission-based gameplay makes it less exploration-based than the original hurr-durr
No it fucking doesn't. Remember how the original has every single door in the game locked with an entirely linear progression in how you unlock them, forcing you through a path that's just as linear? The only non-linear element were the eight or so Boos that hid in rooms from Area 1 and (part of) 2 that you had already gone through by the time you free them, and it takes ten minutes to get them.
>>
>Luigi's still living in the same place old mansion occupied
Neat.
>>
File: Rank_d.png (309 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rank_d.png
309 KB, 640x480
>>329802138
Probably could have done better than D.
>>
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.