[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong? are MMOs just a dead genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: black-desert-online.jpg (53 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
black-desert-online.jpg
53 KB, 640x360
what went wrong?

are MMOs just a dead genre?
>>
>>329768370
I know nothing about this game.
>>
I think this Korean scam was a bit too obvious.
>>
No steam no go
>>
>>329768370
It's pretty fucking lame when what was once a highly anticipated MMO can't keep a thread up on /v/ two days after release. They fucked this shit on a whole nother level apparently.
>>
mmos are just basically all the same thing, start a character, kill mobs over and over again
they need to entice you with rewards in order to even get you to play it, without it you wouldn't have any fun to begin with
>>
What's the deal with this game? I see a lot of people complaining abouy having to buy costumes etc. Is there armour in this game? Do you get armour drops and stuff like most MMOs or are the only visual customisation options paid costumes?
>>
A buddy of mine just gave me a guest pass. I'll make my judgement with that after my new laptop arrives.
Speaking of which, god I hope I didn't fuck up on the one I bought. Was a snap decision. Reviews are really mixed on the GPU.
In any case I'm not expecting a whole lot from this game.
>>
>>329768863
>laptop
>gaming

pham...
>>
>>329768614
It is possible to get a good balance going and make a fun game, even if it is a narrow grindhouse. I load up an old vanilla pserver of one of my old favorites with my friends every now and then and it's still a lot of fun.

Publishers just want shitty, accessible p2w games with no thought put into them and they keep having weaker and weaker releases. Greedy fags.
>>
>>329768370
They offered very little in the way of customization, and what they did offer was outfits that cost more than the game and dyes that cost real money, but you can't even pick what colour you get cause its all randomized. The colours and shades, so you end up paying real money for shit you don't want. Add onto that the fact that the game actually is f2p in the other areas it released and it just leaves a bad taste.
>>
>>329768923
Don't. Holy shit, don't.
>>
>>329768973
What do you mean little customization? Like your dude doesn't look much different when he gets better gear?
>>
Your life is what went wrong if you're still trying to find an MMO to fill the empty void.
>>
>>329769084
>Like your dude doesn't look much different when he gets better gear?
your dude doesn't change almost at all
>>
>>329769084
the common complaint is that you'll reach level 30-40 and still look extremely similar to how you did at one, alternatively, you can spend ~$32 on a cash shop outfit, but theres only 3 i believe and one is shared amongst classes.
>>
>>329769089
Pretty much this. The only unique MMO in the last 10 years is Vindictus and it's so poorly managed that it doesn't even matter.

Defiance is good too but it gets boring after a week.
>>
File: everytime.png (18 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
everytime.png
18 KB, 120x120
>>329769005
>mobile GPU chips
>gaming
>>
>>329768973
Also, why don't horses get stamina back for being stabled? i left mine in there for a day and it didn't move, the only ways i can get stamina back are to buy carrots or pet it.
>>
>>329769337
I get it, har har, laptops can't do 60fps at ultra settings, they're garbage hoo hoo hoo.
I don't fucking care about max settings as long as I can get a playable framerate
>>
File: 123455.gif (398 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
123455.gif
398 KB, 300x167
>>329769237
>>329769181
And they did this on purpose?
>>
>>329769526
>Everything as low as they can go
>35fps

Good job senpai
>>
>>329769535
would it really be any better if they accidentally didn't give anyone customization?
>>
>>329769535
>costumes cost 30$
gee i wonder
>>
>>329769620
As long as low graphics don't inhibit gameplay (hidden textures, useless draw distance), that is no problem.
>>
>>329769237
>>329769181

Are you serious?

Why are people playing this? It's a pay to play game with no way to customise your character outside of spending more money? I can't believe what I'm reading......
>>
>>329769628
No, but the hilarious joke that this must be would be more believable.
>>
Is this the censored one or was that Blade&Soul?
>>
>>329769812
It's Korean. That's their model. Look at TERA. All basic/free outfits on one class are pretty much identical.
>>
>>329769812
its honestly terrible about that. its amazing how much this game got fucked over by business decisions to target the largest whales for short term profits
>>
>>329769812
this shit is f2p in korea
and yet on 85 place in all online games there
its completely shit,
>>
File: hfkha.jpg (73 KB, 400x453) Image search: [Google]
hfkha.jpg
73 KB, 400x453
>>329769526
>>329769765
>>
>>329769916
>>329769941

What a fucking joke. I was almost ready to buy this game before coming to this thread. Knowing that the only way to make my character look different is to buy additional costumes is ridiculous. What's the point of playing this game if you get no visual sense of progression?

This just sound like your typical Korean grinder from 10 years ago with fancy new graphics.
>>
File: visualbox.jpg (26 KB, 498x321) Image search: [Google]
visualbox.jpg
26 KB, 498x321
>>329769916
>>329769941
>>329769763
>>
They really think they're not going to get mad stacks with that cash shop. There's really no reason at all for them to start off buy-to-play like this. If anything it's gonna hurt them in the long run.
>>
>>329770217
With the way it looks, the game won't be b2p for very long, so at least then you'll be able to check it out for yourself, but i am really glad i snagged the pass for this instead of throwing $40 CAD at it
>>
File: TheChosenOneSyndromeForMMOs.jpg (731 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
TheChosenOneSyndromeForMMOs.jpg
731 KB, 1680x1050
>>329768370
>are MMOs just a dead genre?
correct.
everyone who tries to make an MMO has completely failed to understand that "MMO" is not a fucking genre, it's an alternate mode/expansion of standard multiplayer gameplay:
Standard multiplayer, 8-32 or even 64 players.
MMO, hundreds of simultaneous players.

What happens when you take "the best" MMOs around and completely remove the active player base with nothing at all, or with AI NPCs?
99% of them turn to utter shit to barely acceptable games.

> every fucking single MMO is an RPG
give me a fuckin' break.
>>
>>329770825
>every mmo is an rpg
That's putting it fucking lightly. There are plenty of fantastic RPG's out there.
The problem with MMO's is that they all use the same HORRIFIC point-and-click/10-quickslot format. Even ones that claim to be "action-orented" like TERA do this. It's fucking TERRIBLE. It's not fun. It's not even engaging.
>>
MMO's are dead. They died with Nexon, the only publisher to host games that aren't anime versions of WoW (except one). They are the only unique publisher and they take zero pride in anything they ever do. And the employees know it and bounce as soon as possible. They go through community managers like a mexican girl goes through boyfriends.
>>
File: goldface.jpg (11 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
goldface.jpg
11 KB, 250x241
>People STILL get hyped for MMOs

Poor Redditor souls.
>>
>>329768370
Company scammed everyone at launch, people who bought the deluxe edition couldn't get it. Due to the fact it was actually a pre order only bonus.
Game has NO endgame, unless you like meme pvp sieges, with a guild who needs to pay you money to stay.
Also 1 miniboss per day, how fun! Followed by a world boss anyone can do.
Questing sucks ass and you need to grind to level.
Can't open world PvP because killing one player completely fucks you, lose all items on death and towns are hostile.
It's not really MMO's, just that this one in particular is shit.
Even the /vg/ thread is filled with reddit meme spouting guilds.
>>
Whole game's a glorified facebook game.
>>
>>329768370
mmos were never good
im surprised and disturbed at how long theyve been a thing
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.