[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck can anyone actually learn how to play games like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: arwingxl1.jpg (746 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
arwingxl1.jpg
746 KB, 1920x1080
How the fuck can anyone actually learn how to play games like Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress? These games are way too fucking complicated. I swear to god if anyone plays this and considers this fun I applaud you. You're a whole lot smarter than most gamers out there.
>>
They're really fucking simple to play.
What is even difficult about them, goddamn.
>>
File: asparagus.jpg (807 KB, 1350x1359) Image search: [Google]
asparagus.jpg
807 KB, 1350x1359
>>329733215
time and dedication, anon

i'm not smart, you're just a quitter
>>
>>329733458
I don't feel like grinding hours to get a feel for a game. I don't know, too much effort. Maybe I'm a casual.
>>
>>329733215
Patience and Intelligence, like all rogue-like derivatives.

True casual filters.
>>
>>329733215
It doesn't really take smarts to be honest.
The only problem is that most core concepts aren't really that well explained within the game itself, so you have to keep looking things up on the wiki.
A tutorial and some tooltips would actually make the game fairly simple to learn.
>>
>>329734469
It has an in-game help menu. Just saying.
>>
>>329734654
Yeah, but it's not really all that helpful.
You're much better off with a proper tutorial.
>>
Gnomoria is babby-tier compared to DF. I actually find something like Banished has a steeper learning curve than Gnomoria.
>>
File: 1420592183402.jpg (54 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
1420592183402.jpg
54 KB, 566x480
>>329733215
>>
>>329733215
Gnommoria had everything I needed to get into it took a couple playthroughs but dwarf fortress is just too fucking much for me still which kinda depresses me because it just seems so awesome and I love reading dwarf fortress stuff
>>
>>329734783
I suppose. But really, I went into Dwarf Fortress for the first time thinking it was the most complicated game ever made. Within about 24 hours of running the game for the first time, I knew just about everything I needed to know to survive for over a year. You can pause the game and search the wiki if anything you don't know about springs up, and it's not like the answers are hard to find.
>>
>>329735294
I wish I could enjoy Gnomoria, but all I can ever think of when I'm playing it is "I could be playing Dwarf Fortress right now".
If you have Gnomoria down though, you should be able to jump into DF without too many problems though.
>>
Once you get over the god awful UI and get the basics down dorf fort is easy to just have a basic stable fort and survive.

Then you start experimenting.
>>
If you're bored and autistic enough to enjoy Dorffort why not just spend the time doing work transcribing medical logs for $5/hr or something, it's about the same level of tediousness and at least you'd be getting paid.
>>
>>329735397
Yeah, once you actually sit down and start learning how the game works, it's not really all that difficult to grasp, as long as you take the time to look things up on the wiki.
>>
File: 1407101642221.jpg (184 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1407101642221.jpg
184 KB, 500x370
>>329735770
>>
Learning Dwarf Fort just takes a little will power. Going in blind actually is a pretty good way to learn the game. You'll learn from your mistakes and the game only gets better from there.
>>
I'd play a non-ascii version of Dwarf Fortress with intuitive controls.

But then I'd probably be playing Dungeon Keeper.
>>
>>329733215
tbqh aurora 4x is one of my fav games senpai
>>
>>329736196
Try out Gnomoria.
It's essentially a watered-down Dwarf Fortress with non-ascii graphics.
>>
the only thing that make df complicated is the shitty ui
>>
File: 1280663992833.jpg (11 KB, 327x388) Image search: [Google]
1280663992833.jpg
11 KB, 327x388
>>329733215
>he doesn't know how to play with Dorfs!
>>
>>329733448
Does it really offend you so much that he thinks they are too complicated? Are people not allowed to think that?
>>
>>329733215

>Beds are super simple and something you knock out within the first couple minutes of dorf fort
>Beds are advanced fucking technology due to the fucky resource hierarchy in Gnomoria, gnomes have to sleep on straw mats until they're advanced enough to bed

GNOME A SHIT
DORF PRIDE WORLD WIDE
>>
People joke about DF being hard, but it's actually incredibly easy. It's just figuring out how things work they gave it that reputation.
If you want hard, go play that Zachtronics programming game.
>>
>>329736748
I play E.Y.E. and I think Dorf is dense as shit.
>>
>>329736846
That's not much of a qualifier, anon. EYE is only deep as fuck when it comes to the story.
Past that, you're a cyberninja that runs around shooting people with a really big gun.
>>
>>329736748
>go play that Zachtronics programming game
Which one?
>>
>>329737050
TIS-100
>>
>>329736265
As someone who had complex irrigation on multiple z levels starting off a 0 point build in carp murder versions of DF with nothing but the wiki and basic intuition I can say for sure that aurora is the most autistic game out there. That shit takes something special to actually learn.
>>
>>329737136
Is it harder than spacechem?

Spacechem is a true brain raper and probably the first game that I can honestly say I want my kid to play asap.
>>
>>329736265
My nigger.
>>329737382
I'd say the hardest part of Aurora is getting used to the presentation.
Figuring out which menus go where and what links up to what takes a little bit of time. Once you've got it down, it's smooth sailing.
Although I still haven't figured out how to build an effective military. My games end when xenos invade.
>>
File: TIS.webm (847 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TIS.webm
847 KB, 1920x1080
>>329737582
Check it.
>>
>>329737832
I really can't gauge the difficulty from that without having played it.

Spacechem was awesome because you didn't just use straight logic, you had to apply engineering principles to make the most use of space as possible which made it a kick ass game. If this is just a straight logic check then it's kind of weak in comparison.
>>
>>329733215

I love the shit out of Dwarf Fortress, but it has a very hit or miss UI. Brains has nothing to do with that bar for entry - either you grok it or you don't. And if you don't, learning it is just painful I can't imagine it being worth the payoff for you.

Have to at least give it a college try to know one way or the other though.
>>
File: 1451933335467.jpg (6 KB, 227x225) Image search: [Google]
1451933335467.jpg
6 KB, 227x225
>>329738192
I actually hadn't considered that. Good point.
I haven't played TIS either, but from what I've seen, it seemed harder than Spacechem.
Whatever lay between Point A and Point B just looks like black magic from a cursory glance.
>>
Dwarf Fort is easy as fuck, the military interface is shit though and without rapist anything over 21 dwarves is difficult.
>refuse pile, pasture for animals, wood stockpile if you want
>dig
>create the rest of the stockpiles or garbage dumps if you're not an casual
>beds, production rooms, assign workers
>slowly pretty up the place, secure food source(s)
>w8 for migrants, mine for metal to build military and build defensive things
>>
>>329738505
>Whatever lay between Point A and Point B just looks like black magic from a cursory glance.
Sure but that's a given considering how abstract what we see is.

I guess I just really want a spacechem 2, spacechem is easily the most interesting game I have ever played even though at it's core it's simple as shit. I loved how at first you just used some basic ideas to decrease your cycle times or symbol use and then you get to the multi factory scale and what used to be complex becomes standard with a few extra proprietary designs thrown into each factory to achieve the desired results.

I need to play that shit again, it's been too long.
>>
>>329733448
Jesus what an example of contrarian bullshit

Dwarf fortress is simple. What a fucking joke
>>
>>329735770
because i like to force mothers to watch their children get impaled by wooden spears, turning them into hardened killing machines
>>
>>329739614
I agree.
I've been meaning to get back to it for the longest time. Would be a nice break from mindless violence and tetris.
>>
>>329737043
False

Very deep game mechanically
>>
>>329735550
>"I could be playing Dwarf Fortress right now"
This is my bane. There was a time when I would buy dorf fort clones because they looked cool and I wanted more dorf fort, I even backed that piece of shit Castle Story because it looked cute. Every time I play one I just get reminded of how much less personality and interesting scenarios they have.
>>
>>329737832
>get home from uni
>spent hours building a C compiler in assembly as a final project
>friend tells me zachtronics released a new game all of a sudden
>get hyped
>it's more fucking assembly programming
Thanks Zach.
>>
File: moldath.png (83 KB, 640x300) Image search: [Google]
moldath.png
83 KB, 640x300
>>329733215
Dwarf Fortress mostly plays itself. All you need to learn as a player is how to keep the death and anarchy at bay long enough to make it more entertaining when it happens.

I went through a lot of starving outposts before figuring out how and why to grow crops.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.